Thread: FreedomPop - Ting converts with trouble making calls please read this

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

FreedomPop - Ting converts with trouble making calls please read this

If you still have the FreedomPop messaging app installed make sure to uninstall or disable it.

Otherwise when you dial a call, the FP app will intercept the call and try to route it through their VoIP system which will fail.

I had someone with an old FP branded Galaxy Victory who couldn't make calls because FP's fork of CSipSImple kept trying to divert calls over their VoIP system.

When you switch to Ting you can make normal calls so you don't need any of FreedomPop's messaging and calling stuff anymore.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Good info TU.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    And disable it on those older FP phones where it is integrated and cannot be uninstalled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    And disable it on those older FP phones where it is integrated and cannot be uninstalled.
    I wish it was easier and/or possible to remove the freedompop app. I have a FreedomPop Moto E2 (bought from FP, uses Sprint). I cancelled with Ting and FP, then signed up with Tello. I wasn't able to make calls. Kept getting a FP app error until I disabled the FP app. Now calling and texting works with Tello, though I had to install Messaging for texting. I did a factory reset thinking that might remove the FP app(s) but it did not, and I had to disable the FP app again. Is there a way to remove it that doesn't involve rooting the phone since that is probably over my technical head. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ugh. That's probably a good deal of the customer service backlog they are dealing with at Ting. FP certainly left a message in their wake.

At least you know what to do now.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dudest View Post
    I wish it was easier and/or possible to remove the freedompop app. I have a FreedomPop Moto E2 (bought from FP, uses Sprint). I cancelled with Ting and FP, then signed up with Tello. I wasn't able to make calls. Kept getting a FP app error until I disabled the FP app. Now calling and texting works with Tello, though I had to install Messaging for texting. I did a factory reset thinking that might remove the FP app(s) but it did not, and I had to disable the FP app again. Is there a way to remove it that doesn't involve rooting the phone since that is probably over my technical head. Thanks.
    After service was transferred from FP to Ting, and after I deleted the FP Messaging app and dialed ##72786#, my daughter's FP Prestige 2 continued working just fine on Ting.

Unfortunately, the Ting plans offered don't match her low usage needs, which is why I tried to port to RP, and when RP failed, I ported it to Tello.

Regarding the issue with your FP Moto E2, it must be as comintel mentioned, where the FP Messaging app can't be uninstalled from that particular phone, whereas I was able to simply uninstall it from the FP Prestige 2.

Even if the FP Messaging app can't be uninstalled on your FP Moto E2, you might still be able to disable it.

Just make sure you disable the correct app. It should have the icon as shown at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...phone&hl=en_US

Settings>Apps>Messaging>Disable

After you do that, it won't hurt to do a carrier reset by dialing ##72786#.

Please report back. Good luck!
    Last edited by Boz1; 08-05-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    After service was transferred from FP to Ting, and after I deleted the FP Messaging app and dialed ##72786#, her FP Prestige 2 continued working just fine on Ting.

Unfortunately, the Ting plans offered don't match her usage needs, which is why I tried to port to RP, and when RP failed, I ported it to Tello.

Regarding the issue with your FP Moto E2, it must be as comintel mentioned, where the FP Messaging app can't be uninstalled from that particular phone, whereas I was able to simply uninstall it from the FP Prestige 2.

Even if the FP Messaging app can't be uninstalled on your FP Moto E2, you might still be able to disable it.

Just make sure you disable the correct app. It should have the icon as shown at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...phone&hl=en_US

Settings>Apps>Messaging>Disable

After you do that, it won't hurt to do a carrier reset by dialing ##72786#.

Please report back. Good luck!
    Thanks. I did disable the FP app and did need to carrier reset to get the phone working on Tello. However, I was hoping to completely REMOVE the FP app. I tried a factory reset, but that did not remove the FP app. I know it is disabled so the phone works, but I'd rather completely remove the FP app. I just don't know how or if it is even possible. It seems to be baked in.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks. I did disable the FP app and did need to carrier reset to get the phone working on Tello. However, I was hoping to completely REMOVE the FP app. I tried a factory reset, but that did not remove the FP app. I know it is disabled so the phone works, but I'd rather completely remove the FP app. I just don't know how or if it is even possible. It seems to be baked in.
    Oh, sorry. I guess I didn't fully understand what you said the first time. If FP did install the FP Messaging app as part of the OS, which seems to be the case, the best you can do is disable it, so I think you've done all you can unless you're able to root the phone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, it's possible. Way back when I had a FP Moto E2, I never used the FP app favoring Google Voice via Hangouts instead, so one of the first things I did was to re-flash it back to stock. There's more than a few guides out there on how to do it. Here's one such example:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...mware-t3044936

Just make sure you get the right firmware. Flashing the wrong model firmware could be disastrous.
    Last edited by tmodlou; 08-05-2019 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added warning