Thread: Looking for a replacement desktop PC

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Looking for a replacement desktop PC

Well, Microsoft is going to end support for Win 7 and my old PC doesn't like Win 10 (I tested it). I'm starting to shop for a replacement desktop tower. I'm not looking for a top-end (e.g. 8 core, water cooled) gaming machine but I might like to play some online games. Other than that my computer needs are fairly pedestrian. I'm not running a bunch of VMs. Creating YouTube videos, number crunching with MatLab or any thing like that.

Looking at refurbed Intel i7 based, quad-core tower PCs, I see prices vary between ~$270 and ~$1500, seemingly based mostly on which generation i7 chip is used. Is there that much difference in the performance of i7 chips or is there something I'm missing?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Are you thinking tower vs laptop for gaming performance?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Are you thinking tower vs laptop for gaming performance?
    Tower, which I'd like to be as generic a rack as possible, so I can easily change drives, add interfaces, etc.
    But I'm not really looking for a hard-core gaming machine with an 18-core CPU and top-end graphics, which require water cooling. I just want to get the best value on a machine I can use for several years. I'm looking at various refurbished machines, which are mostly Dells and HPs.

Feedback Score
    Check the Dell Outlet for Business for a Precision. They are well built tanks and what is often a $2000 computer can be gotten for $900 at times. I recommend going refurbished rather than scratch & dent. Scratch & Dent can be a bit banged up at times.

All have the same Dell warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Check the Dell Outlet for Business for a Precision. ....
    I've had good luck with Dells.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Well, Microsoft is going to end support for Win 7 and my old PC doesn't like Win 10 (I tested it). I'm starting to shop for a replacement desktop tower. I'm not looking for a top-end (e.g. 8 core, water cooled) gaming machine but I might like to play some online games. Other than that my computer needs are fairly pedestrian. I'm not running a bunch of VMs. Creating YouTube videos, number crunching with MatLab or any thing like that.

Looking at refurbed Intel i7 based, quad-core tower PCs, I see prices vary between ~$270 and ~$1500, seemingly based mostly on which generation i7 chip is used. Is there that much difference in the performance of i7 chips or is there something I'm missing?
    There are a lot of i7 models - something like 230 of them. I would check the one I was thinking of buying. I use the PassMark benchmark lists:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

A quick scroll through there shows i7 PassMark CDU benchmarks from about 1,300 to 24,000. A 1,300 would not be very zippy.

I picked up a grade B refurb i5 Dell notebook through Newegg that I am very happy with for $150 - PassMark 3,600. It has a scuff on the top lid - don't care.

This was a major upgrade from the previous notebook that had a PassMark CPU of 418. It makes a major difference in how long it takes to load a web page or start a program like Word or Excel.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The i7 4770 machine I'm looking at would have a PassMark around 10k.

Feedback Score
    The i7 4770 machine I'm looking at would have a PassMark around 10k.
    My i5 at 3,600 is the fastest computer I have ever used and it is a notebook that are not known for performance. I'm sure I would be satisfied with something 10K if the price was good.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    My i5 at 3,600 is the fastest computer I have ever used and it is a notebook that are not known for performance. I'm sure I would be satisfied with something 10K if the price was good.
    My current desktop has an E6750 CPU which rates a PassMark of 1714, so 10K is a just a tad better.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, several flip phones
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, Red Pocket AT&V
    Feedback Score
    Look on eBay for Dell Optiplex 7010. They are off lease units and I have bought seven of them with i5 and i7 3rd or 4th gen processors and never paid over $200 for any of them. And they all were pristine condition. Typically 4GB ram and 250GB hard drives. Some with Win 7 COA that upgraded to Win 10 pro at no cost, others with Win 10 pro included. Just shop around.

Feedback Score
    My current desktop has an E6750 CPU which rates a PassMark of 1714, so 10K is a just a tad better.
    Yes, my desk computer is ~2,100. My i5 notebook at 3,600 is quite noticeably faster. Part of that could be the notebook being newer with a better GPU. It also has a SSD "disk" that is faster. The desk computer is about ten years old.

Device(s)
    sony xperia
    Feedback Score

When i first read this I almost thought it was a question I had asked . Though for me its not that my pc doesn't like windows 10 its that I despise it. At the risk of hijacking your thread or maybe this would lend some insight to both of us I would like to know the same thing as you do except what I would need would be something for graphic and web design. Would a lower spec suffice for this bearing in mind that in all likelihood I will be going to Mac unless there are better alternatives that anybody could suggest.

The reason why I am so weary is my partner bought a asus i7 i think with 16gb Ram, and even NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. Shes no gamer. She uses the same software as i do and man her computer is a mess in terms of speed. My hp Pavillion i5 is smashing it at the moment which shouldnt be the case ( im still on windows 7 ). We have taken it in done benchmark tests and all seems to be fine the only thing i can conclude is that its windows 10.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar28 View Post
    When i first read this I almost thought it was a question I had asked . Though for me its not that my pc doesn't like windows 10 its that I despise it. At the risk of hijacking your thread or maybe this would lend some insight to both of us I would like to know the same thing as you do except what I would need would be something for graphic and web design. Would a lower spec suffice for this bearing in mind that in all likelihood I will be going to Mac unless there are better alternatives that anybody could suggest.

The reason why I am so weary is my partner bought a asus i7 i think with 16gb Ram, and even NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. Shes no gamer. She uses the same software as i do and man her computer is a mess in terms of speed. My hp Pavillion i5 is smashing it at the moment which shouldnt be the case ( im still on windows 7 ). We have taken it in done benchmark tests and all seems to be fine the only thing i can conclude is that its windows 10.
    I also have HP Pavilion 15 (Intel Core i5-7200) and it runs fast with Windows 10. Never had any issues with performance since I got it in December 2017.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Well, I just ordered a refurbished Dell T1700 mid-tower, with an i7-4790 chip, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SDD & 2 TB HDD. $534+tax from NewEgg. The CPU is about 6X faster than what I'm using currently and the SDD won't hurt anything.

Feedback Score
    Well, I just ordered a refurbished Dell T1700 mid-tower, with an i7-4790 chip, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SDD & 2 TB HDD. $534+tax from NewEgg. The CPU is about 6X faster than what I'm using currently and the SDD won't hurt anything.
    A lightning strike* partially fried my 10-YO desk computer about the time you started this topic. I picked up a refurb Lenovo M82 Intel Core i5 3470 @3.2 GHz, CPU Passmark 6722 for $125 from Newegg. It's pretty nice for the price. Its appearance is like new. I did not want to spend the money for an i7 since I hardly use it.

For that price it is Win7 and did not come with a keyboard or mouse. I need Win7 to run my TV system (HDHomerun). I don't need another keyboard and mouse anyway.

I would say it is only about as zippy overall as my i5 (CPU Passmark 3593) notebook. The difference is that the notebook has a SSD. That appears to make a beeeeeeeeeeeeg difference aside from just the CPU speed.

*The lightning strike also fried my cable modem, Wifi router, a 43-inch TV, and my security alarm console.