Thread: Would coverage for all Verizon MVNOs be the same?

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Would coverage for all Verizon MVNOs be the same?

I was at a friend's house with my wife and got a call from a cousin. Using my phone with Tello I could barely hear him and the call was crackling and breaking up. I told him I would call him right back using my wife's phone with boom! and had a perfectly clear call from the same location. We have identical Moto E4 phones. So obviously it's a coverage issue. Although I haven't noticed this when calling from my house or office, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a Verizon MVNO.

I don't need UT&T/1GB of data but I could build my own low-end plan with US Mobile using their Super LTE SIM card which is Verizon. In fact I already have a US Mobile Super LTE SIM card.

Would coverage with US Mobile be the same as boom!? I've read here that the coverage maps are not reliable so I don't want to decide just on the basis of the coverage map.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Tello uses sprint network so you my be in a weak sprint coverage area. do you have roaming enabled on the phone that is using the Tello network ?? if yes, then try turning it off as the phone maybe trying to connect to a tower other than sprint. and Tello doesn't allow roaming. you might try using WIFI calling.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Tello uses sprint network so you my be in a weak sprint coverage area. do you have roaming enabled on the phone that is using the Tello network ?? if yes, then try turning it off as the phone maybe trying to connect to a tower other than sprint. and Tello doesn't allow roaming. you might try using WIFI calling.
    Thanks. Apparently roaming is turned off or I don't have the option to turn it on. Here's what I see under SIM status, but when I tap it nothing happens.
    Name:  notroaming.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  26.3 KB

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    look under mobile network settings.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks. What am I looking for?
    Name:  network settings.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  27.1 KB

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Tello does not have roaming or Wifi calling*.

It is poor Sprint signal. -113 dBm borders on calls dropping. Verizon would be better in a lot more places.

I know nothing about US Mobile.

*Tello does have Wifi calling in the Tello app for outgoing calls only. It is not integrated with the regular phone dialer.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Back to your original question: Coverage will be the same for any Verizon MVNO as long as you’re in a native Verizon area (that is, not roaming). Since you have identical phones, there wouldn’t be any difference in the supported bands.

If you were roaming on another carrier, that can vary by MVNO. This is not an issue for most people, but is a major consideration for those that live/work/frequent places that aren’t native Verizon. While the maps aren’t 100% reliable for street level coverage, they are pretty reliable for which broad areas are natively covered vs. covered via roaming partners

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Coverage on any Verizon MVNO will be the same unless you're in a really bad location and need domestic roaming (which usually isn't needed on Verizon). Not all Verizon MVNOs support domestic roaming

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks to all who have replied. I am going to give US Mobile's Super LTE (VZW network) plan a try. I have very low needs for voice and data and do all my texting with GV, so I don't need to purchase any text. I can make wifi calls from my office, and I have done so in the past, but when I walk to the break room my signal is noticeably weaker, so I just leave GV set to Use carrier only. I use less than 200 voice minutes a month anyway.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The speed is only 1Mbps. Adders are required for higher speed.
    You are better off with TotalWireless $25 plan and add data in 5GB/$10 increments, as needed.