Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are your plans (if any) to protect yourself from the T-Mobile/Sprint merger?

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

What are your plans (if any) to protect yourself from the T-Mobile/Sprint merger?

I know we've had some contentious battles here about the merger, so l'm mostly kidding with the thread title and trying to keep this light...

I only ask the question because I remember worrying that rates would go up when AT&T tried to "merge" with T-Mo back in 2011 (I put "merge" in quotes because then, like now, it's less a merger than an acquisition.)

Although I hadn't been under a contract with T-Mo for several years at the time, I bought a phone in the fall of 2011 I didn't really need just to be under a two-year contract and hopefully protect my grandfathered rate plan in case the AT&T takeover happened!

As it turned out, the DOJ blocked that merger (back then they had some crazy outdated idea that going from 4 to 3 national carriers would somehow reduce competition and raise prices) and I had entered a two contract for nothing (other than getting a nifty refurbished HTC HD2 for just $49.) That was the last cell contract I was ever under.

So, anyone here planning anything crazy (or not so crazy) to try to insure they continue to receive the level of value they're currently receiving? Loading up on extra lines on a grandfathered plan, perhaps? Or signing up for one of those $25 Sprint unlimited plans in hopes they'll become a grandfathered T-Mo plan post-merger?

(This is probably a better question for the Sprint forum, considering they're in a more analogous position to where we T-Mo users were in 2011!)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    As it turned out, the DOJ blocked that merger (back then they had some crazy outdated idea that going from 4 to 3 national carriers would somehow reduce competition and raise prices) and I had entered a two contract for nothing (other than getting a nifty refurbished HTC HD2 for just $49.) That was the last cell contract I was ever under.

So, anyone here planning anything crazy (or not so crazy) to try to insure they continue to receive the level of value they're currently receiving? Loading up on extra lines on a grandfathered plan, perhaps?
    Switch to Verizon because they just lowered prices:https://howardforums.com/showthread....orrow-(8-2-19)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Or stay in Verizon because they just lowered prices and (apparently) improved the plan options, and not switch to T-Mobile.

The Verizon announcement happened just days before I was going to test drive T-Mobile, and the announcement has given some strength to the "stay in Verizon" side in the matter I am considering.

It hasn't tipped me fully toward staying, but it is a new factor to be considered.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Right now, we have only carrier-agnostic, factory-unlocked phones. If and when the day comes that T-Mobile no longer provides the best value for our needs, we port out. Kind of like using GasBuddy to the best place to fuel the cars. Just do the math. No one goes to heaven or hell based on the wireless carrier they pick.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have a very cunning plan to keep everything exactly the same as it is now.

Through a serendipitous convergence of promotions, my current plan is amazingly inexpensive. As a matter of fact, I have two spare voice lines that are unassigned to users. If I were to drop either one, my monthly bill would go up! I use them for travel and locally in iPads, and for spare data to preserve my Kickback on my primary line if necessary.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Right now, we have only carrier-agnostic, factory-unlocked phones. If and when the day comes that T-Mobile no longer provides the best value for our needs, we port out. Kind of like using GasBuddy to the best place to fuel the cars. Just do the math. No one goes to heaven or hell based on the wireless carrier they pick.
    Carrier-agnostic phones that are current enough to have the "radios" to work the best possible way with all carriers is definitely the best way to go.

"All carriers" to me means the four biggest. I have no idea if USCellular and Bugtussle have special bands which aren't used by the other carriers to be honest. I just kind of doubt it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would say keep doing whatever you're doing to protect yourself from future T-Mobile price increases regardless of the outcome of the Sprint merger.

T-Mobile because the re-carrier a couple of years ago, and is always looking to change up their plans to try to attract you to their latest and greatest--and if you try to keep an apples to apples feature set, you'll find that you're up another $5 to $25 per month.

And sometimes you can't keep apples to apples. I have the original One Plus International with unlimited high speed tethering. When I saw that it was going away, I took the opportunity to jump to it from my perfectly good, nicely grandfathered Simple Choice plan. I think my price went up $5 or so, BUT it offered that unlimited high speed tethering. My Simple Choice had lots of tethering, to be sure, and I had rollover data, but for $5 more I jumped.

Now they don't offer unlimited high speed tethering anymore. The bar has been set. I'm staying unless they make the pot sweeter. What would that be? I don't know. Reliable high speed data, maybe? Maybe a significant boost with 5G (I would test that first). Would that get me to back down from unlimited hotspot, if there was enough data? Mebbe.

Anyway. T-Mobile marketing will be throwing out all sorts of ideas for everyone to chew on, and will position those ideas as "bigger and better" trying to get you to switch to them. Buyer beware--there will always be catches.

Read the fine print. That's how I protect myself from T-Mobile's changing world in general.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    ..... I have no idea if USCellular and Bugtussle have special bands which aren't used by the other carriers to be honest. I just kind of doubt it.
    We used to have one line with CSpire. We ported out when they told me that I couldn't activate my new Nexus 5x on their service. The phone was perfectly compatible. They just weren't ready for anyone to activate a phone they didn't sell. That was several years ago. I don't know their current policy but we're not planning to port back, in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    ...... Buyer beware--there will always be catches.

Read the fine print. That's how I protect myself from T-Mobile's changing world in general.
    Truth.

Device(s)
    Huawei P20 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't like T-Mobile contracts and conditions in the fine print. They use many tricks that could be understood in different ways. That is why I am not the client of T-Mobile anymore. Just Verizon.
    Best and worst brands, reviews from real customers - https://www.pissedconsumer.com/

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jerjonesjr View Post
    I don't like T-Mobile contracts and conditions in the fine print. They use many tricks that could be understood in different ways. That is why I am not the client of T-Mobile anymore. Just Verizon.
    Wow. I mean, WOW.

VZW doesn't have conditions in the fine print and many tricks that could be understood in different ways??????????

I'm afraid you'll have to prove that beyond the shadow of the doubt if you want anyone here to believe that. I would argue that VZW is WORSE than ANY of them in that regard.

Does anyone remember Verizon math?

https://verizonmath.blogspot.com/200...rom-cents.html

And it just keeps getting better and better.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Wow. I mean, WOW.

VZW doesn't have conditions in the fine print and many tricks that could be understood in different ways??????????

I'm afraid you'll have to prove that beyond the shadow of the doubt if you want anyone here to believe that. I would argue that VZW is WORSE than ANY of them in that regard.

Does anyone remember Verizon math?

https://verizonmath.blogspot.com/200...rom-cents.html

And it just keeps getting better and better.
    Just to add insult to injury and according to his profile, the OP is using a Huawei phone!

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    We have 8 TM lines - runs about $190/mo. 6 of the lines "earn" a $10/mo rebate because they stay under 2G of data.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

What are your plans (if any) to protect yourself from the T-Mobile/Sprint merger?

One way to protect yourself from the merger is to go to AT&T. Their rising Administrative Fees include protection from threats from other Carriers.

Verizon 5G is also a great protection from other Carriers because as soon as you leave line of site you will lose all connectivity to the outside world...other Carriers and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    "All carriers" to me means the four biggest. I have no idea if USCellular and Bugtussle have special bands which aren't used by the other carriers to be honest. I just kind of doubt it.
    BugTussle is B2 GSM with no working data but they don't sell mobile service directly. I believe VTel is the same way. USCC is B2/5/12/71 and CDMA BC0 and BC1.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    No one goes to heaven or hell based on the wireless carrier they pick.
    Very well put. I may steal that one from you!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast