Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice App cannot call over T-Mobile LTE

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Google Voice App cannot call over T-Mobile LTE

Hello: not sure if anyone has encountered this problem. I have a T-Mo prepaid sim data only in an iPhone and using GV. When under wifi, the GV texts and calls out/receives calls just fine. Just noticed that under LTE, texts are fine but GV could not place or receive calls. Tested the LTE speed and it was really good, around 40mbps/s. Funny things is that I tried the Hangout app, and everything (calls and texts) worked under Wifi or LTE. Not sure if anyone ran into this before. I don't have a carrier for voices. The sim is for data only. Thanks for the pointers.

Z.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Google Hangouts has always been a data-only service. Google Voice was originally a data service for texting, but a cellular voice forwarding service for calls. Since that time, they integrated the VOIP functionality into Google Voice. It works on my T-Mobile iPad (albeit post-paid and not prepaid). so perhaps it's something in your setup.

I might suggest removing and reinstalling the app, to get rid of any leftover bad settings and also make sure you have the most recent version of the app. Then, in settings, ensure that Make and Receive Calls shows Prefer Wi-Fi and Mobile Data with a check-mark.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Did all that but no go when just under LTE. I tired on a Moto G 6, GV app works fine when just under TMO LTE. Might be just the SE iPhone I have. Will make do with Hangout for now as I don't call much. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by tanzm77 View Post
    Did all that but no go when just under LTE. I tired on a Moto G 6, GV app works fine when just under TMO LTE. Might be just the SE iPhone I have. Will make do with Hangout for now as I don't call much. Thanks for the help. Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app
    see this here - https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4120 look under Can't make or receive calls.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    see this here - https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4120 look under Can't make or receive calls.
    That page is for trouble making calls with T-Mobile native voice service. The only thing from that page that applies to making a call through the GV app is making sure you have enough signal (because obviously poor signal = poor data speed).

The problem suggests that either T-Mobile prepaid is blocking the ports used by the GV app (some carriers are known to block VOIP calls, though I haven't heard of T-Mobile doing this), or there's a problem with the GV app on iPhone. Basically, you have to bring it up with T-Mobile or leave feedback with Google about the GV app for iPhone (or file a bug report which probably isn't worth your time).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't have a carrier for voices. The sim is for data only. Thanks for the pointers.
    Z.
    Probably T-Mobile blocks the ports for any voice calls for the data-only SIM's. It's their competition after all. Read the TOS for that service.
    Heck, even GV (or WhatsApp) ask for an existing cell number before activation, exactly for this legal reason.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Probably T-Mobile blocks the ports for any voice calls for the data-only SIM's. It's their competition after all. Read the TOS for that service.
    Heck, even GV (or WhatsApp) ask for an existing cell number before activation, exactly for this legal reason.
    Google Voice works fine for calls on my prepaid data-only T-Mobile SIM, which is in an Android ZTE phone. T-Mo isn't blocking GV.

It would be a little disingenuous for T-Mo for block a VoIP service on their network, since they pimp their Digits app, which allows you to use your T-Mo voice line over data on other provider's devices.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Have you tried switching to "Use Carrier Only" under "Making & Receiving Calls" in Google Voice settings? Just curious to see what happens if you do that.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hello: not sure if anyone has encountered this problem. I have a T-Mo prepaid sim data only in an iPhone and using GV. When under wifi, the GV texts and calls out/receives calls just fine. Just noticed that under LTE, texts are fine but GV could not place or receive calls. Tested the LTE speed and it was really good, around 40mbps/s. Funny things is that I tried the Hangout app, and everything (calls and texts) worked under Wifi or LTE. Not sure if anyone ran into this before. I don't have a carrier for voices. The sim is for data only. Thanks for the pointers.

Z.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the GV or Hangouts apps on iPhones.

But despite the incorrect speculation by some above that T-Mo is somehow blocking the use of GV VoIP, I have used a T-Mobile data only SIM in two Android phones and both the GV app and Hangouts work fine for voice and messaging.

Sorry I can't help you with your issue, but based on my experience, it probably isn't due to using a T-Mobile data only SIM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Have you tried switching to "Use Carrier Only" under "Making & Receiving Calls" in Google Voice settings? Just curious to see what happens if you do that.
    Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't think there's any chance of that helping, since tanzm77 is using a data only SIM.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't think there's any chance of that helping, since tanzm77 is using a data only SIM.
    Good point Boz. I guess it won't use LTE at all with that setting. That's the setting my phone defaulted to after installing Google Voice.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It sounds like gv is trying to use circuit switched voice instead of cellular data.. under settings "prefer WiFi and data" , or something like that. The GV app is a little convoluted IMHO, as a previous poster mentioned Hangouts was and remains a data only app, I actually like the simplicity of the Hangouts app , but ONLY if you're a data only use as it has no forwarding capabilities.

Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I found an old 200MB free iPad sim and stuck it into a spare iPhone. I presume this SIM is provisoned more like a prepaid SIM than a phone sim. I can confirm that SIM doesn’t work for Google Voice calling over cellular, whereas my postpaid data SIM appears to work in both the iPhone and the iPad.

So there appears to be a provisioning difference here...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My thought is to try a different APN with a different IPv4/IPv6 setting, see if that makes a difference. (Testing on Android if possible)

Also, try with and without a vpn if that's available?
    Last edited by Vertabrae; 08-07-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Typo,clarity

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but have you tried the Hangouts Dialer app with your GV number?

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast