Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No more gv voicemail text (and) transcript.

Feedback Score

No more gv voicemail text (and) transcript.

I received an email from Google stating that this service will be longer be offered as of mid August.. something about carriers identifying it as spam? it didn't mention anything about regular gv sms forwarding, just the voicemail texts.
    Probably not a big deal for most but it was nice to be able to have data completely turned off and still receive gv voicemail notification . Not sure if this will eventually effect gv SMS forwarding.

Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My boys got that email last weekend. They are both still using Google Voice Lite, without having a GV #, which is a service that is no longer available for new users.

I did NOT get that email, but it's probably because I have no forwarding going on for my GV #s, since I use them over data only.

I guess there will be no change for me. As far as I can tell, the voicemail transcripts for my GV #s will still show up in Hangouts as well as in my Gmail accounts.

But you're right that people who leave data turned off will be most affected.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'll have to read the message again to see if the notification text message is being treated the same as the message with the transcription. Didn't catch that first time around. Certainly hope that's not the case!

Feedback Score
    I also get that email. Well, I think will just wait and see people's thought about this email.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I'll have to read the message again to see if the notification text message is being treated the same as the message with the transcription. Didn't catch that first time around. Certainly hope that's not the case!
    My question also.

Is the notification text message being discontinued?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just re-read Google's message to me.

It does not specifically mention the notification text. Emphasis in the message (from the subject line on down) is on the forwarding of the message that contains the transcript.

I believe in the specifics of worded messages, but experience has shown there's a lot of wiggle room and presumptions that take place. I conclude therefore, that we'll have to see if the notification text remains working.

It'd be easy enough for me to test it, so I'll probably get around to that today sometime.

One thing I'd be concerned about is, with them removing the transcript forwarding to SMS (which I have no use for), the configuration for go/no-go of a forwarding VM notification text might be fouled up or obscured in the configuration of the service. I don't think it even existed in the Android app, and was a bit obscure in the web account access.

We'll have to see.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    The SMS text notification has completely stopped as of today for me. The option has disappeared from the settings menu as well.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    The SMS text notification has completely stopped as of today for me. The option has disappeared from the settings menu as well.
    Wow. That's too bad. It won't affect me right now since I currently use Hangouts with data only, but that's a pretty big downgrade to the service that could affect me in the future and many others that currently do use that feature!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I am seeing that too. I did not receive an email about it.

You can still get email notification of voicemail and missed calls, but that requires data. The GV app gets VM notifications and transcription. That requires data too. I don't have Hangouts anymore to check that.

Forwarding of non-VM texts to the carrier number still works.

The change is not a big deal for me. I understand that it could be for others.

Feedback Score
    I’m also a Legacy Google Voicemail user (no gv number, just used it for voicemail purposes), as of this week its completely not working. When put the numbers in to forward unanswered calls to the google voicemail #, it just says fail

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    With the rationale put forth by Google about this, I wonder how "the Carrier" could distinguish between any old SMS text forwarded to a user versus that notification text about voicemail. Seems as though Google could somehow re-format it so it would resemble the "harmless" text.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    I’m also a Legacy Google Voicemail user (no gv number, just used it for voicemail purposes), as of this week its completely not working. When put the numbers in to forward unanswered calls to the google voicemail #, it just says fail
    That's odd. Someone just left a message for one of my sons at 4:50pm eastern today. They are both still using GV Lite.

I wonder if it would start working again if you upgrade to a full GV #?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's odd. Someone just left a message for one of my sons at 4:50pm eastern today. They are both still using GV Lite.

I wonder if it would start working again if you upgrade to a full GV #?
    My other son also using GV Lite also got a new voicemail late last night, so it is still working correctly for them.

Both transcriptions came to their Gmail account like always.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    The only thing that has stopped for me is notification & transcripts via SMS. Everything else works great, same as before.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Not happy about this, but what can one do? Deal with it as needed, I suppose. If I get hit with a phone call by a number I don't recognize (and I won't typically answer), if I'm curious about voicemail left and am not in Wi-Fi range I can always just call my GV number and see if there's waiting VM. Cost is about the same. You can call this "manual self-notification". What a concept!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast