Thread: What is this?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

What is this?

I got my unlocked Stylo 4 yesterday and sim swapped from my TF Fiesta 2 just to try out the phone. Someone called about an hour ago and left me a message. No notification came up, but I received a text with this on it. The last text was me leaving a message for myself to see if it would happen again. Does this have something to do with visual voicemail? As I said, there was no notification on the phone itself that I had a message. I thought there was another thread on this.

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  37.9 KB

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't know what it is, but the date looks kind of weird. If it's in American format (July 8, 2019) then it's about 1 month old. If it's in the format used outside of the US (7 August 2019) then why is it in that format? The time indicates Eastern Daylight Time (GMT minus 4).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not sure what the "VZWVVM:SYNC" part is. Would not think that Visual Voicemail should be connecting to the Messaging system. What about sending a message out? Do you know which messaging app this is?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Not sure what the "VZWVVM:SYNC" part is. Would not think that Visual Voicemail should be connecting to the Messaging system. What about sending a message out? Do you know which messaging app this is?
    Messages.

I found a thread from last year and it seems back then some people got texts from VZW with the number of the person who left the message. I blacked it out in my picture.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't know what it is, but the date looks kind of weird. If it's in American format (July 8, 2019) then it's about 1 month old. If it's in the format used outside of the US (7 August 2019) then why is it in that format? The time indicates Eastern Daylight Time (GMT minus 4).
    "DD-MM-YYYY HH:MM timezone offset" is a very common format used when sending datetime values between apps or storing them in databases.

The message looks like it might be a one that a Visual Voicemail Server sends to the Visual Voicemail app. You phone apparently doesn't support Visual Voicemail so it ends up in messages. @Chris109, try to get TracFone to configure your voicemail as non-visual.
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    The message looks like it might be a one that a Visual Voicemail Server sends to the Visual Voicemail app. You phone apparently doesn't support Visual Voicemail so it ends up in messages. @Chris109, try to get TracFone to configure your voicemail as non-visual.
    Yes, it's been common to get a text message as a VM notification if VVM is not enabled. As this is using a temporarily swapped SIM from another phone, I would NOT change any VM settings in the account.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 08-07-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    VZWVVM:SYNC = Verizon Wireless Visual Voice Mail Synchronization. I wish I could interpret more of the message.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    VZWVVM:SYNC = Verizon Wireless Visual Voice Mail Synchronization. I wish I could interpret more of the message.
    Yeh, these text VM notifications were always garbled. You just use the caller's number to know the source. then go listen to the message in Basic voicemail. The VoLTE flip phones did this, because of not having a VVM app. Only way to stop this to have the account changed to Basic voicemail as Yeswap mentioned. Not always possible though with some of the less savvy CSRs.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I can guess some if the parameters, but haven't found documentation to verify.

ev=NM or ev=MBU
    ev event
    NM new message
    MBU mail box update

id=343 or 344, just a message id

dt= DD-MM-YY HH:MM:SS offset
    Time of the event in a standard format. The offset is because it uses the time where the server is. Same ad email if you look at the actual headers and follow the delivery path.