Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Verizon unlimited data plan speed decreased

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    442
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon unlimited data plan speed decreased

    I've been with Verizon on and off for 3 years now... Started when Verizon introduced unlimited back on 2017 and was on that plan for about a year before I couldn't afford it anymore but the speeds were so fast and loved it!... Went elsewhere for awhile and quickly came back... I came back to Verizon prepaid unlimited for about a 6 monthes to a year until it got to be so unusable with even 1mbps speedtests the speeds felt slower than dial up and most of the time didn't work at all... I finally in June 2019 switched back to Verizon postpaid unlimited after not being able to use my mobile data at all and loved my speed it was so fast but now that I'm now in my 3rd billing cycle I'm seeing speeds slowing down.. I pay for above unlimited plan and am supposed to get 75GB at full speeds before I'm deprioitized but sometimes at my house and even out and about even before I hit 75GB i get slowed down... I don't live in the best area but require Verizon as my main source of internet because DSL is unusable and being the only thing here for fixed internet i must use 4GLTE.... sprint roams here, T-Mobile only offers 3G here and AT&T prioritization caps at around 20GB and would only last me 1/4 of the month before I get **** speeds again (although att is almost #1 here for speed) is there anything I can do to help make my mobile data better? I mostly just use my phone to go online now and don't even use a laptop anymore.... Suggestions?

    Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    18,536
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Your actual data connection speeds are never guaranteed and there is no minimum connection speed that you may achieve. YMMV. Based on your post, I assume you are using the Get More Unlimited plan.

    Don't forget that even if data speeds are reduced, you would still have unlimited data. I suggest you contact customer service via internet chat for clarification.

    Are there any landline/Cable internet options available in your area? Relying on wireless through a cellular or satellite provider will limit your options. Best wishes.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    28
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't see why AT&T isn't an option for you to try. It isn't a hard throttle on AT&T it is only if the network is congested.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,490
    Feedback Score
    0
    Are you tethering/hotspot with that plan for home internet? The limit isn't 75 GB for that. On Above it's 20 GB then throttled to 600 kbps. On the new Get More plan it's 30 GB then 600 Kbps.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    442
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Are you tethering/hotspot with that plan for home internet? The limit isn't 75 GB for that. On Above it's 20 GB then throttled to 600 kbps. On the new Get More plan it's 30 GB then 600 Kbps.
    nope just using the phone no hotspot... I do hear though that this plan can be used in an LTE Laptop and won't count against your hotspot limit

    Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    442
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunks View Post
    I don't see why AT&T isn't an option for you to try. It isn't a hard throttle on AT&T it is only if the network is congested.
    it's more expencive then Verizon's offering with 50GB deprioritizarion limit by about $10 (do More)... I'll only get around 20GB prioritized before I'm slowed in times of congestion on ATT for about $95/month after tax (about $85 for do more)... with my Verizon Above unlimited plan I'm only slowed down 3-4 days of my billing cycle at the end because I use 10-15GB over 75GB normally but I'm staring to see slow downs before 75GB now where I never used to the first two months

    Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,291
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you're seeing slowdowns on the phone it's probably congestion. VZW's stated 4G speeds are 5-12mbps, it's a bit jarring if you switch from 1 site getting like 80 mbps to one getting 5mbps or something but it's within their specs. I'm sure with so few broadband choices broadband usage could be quite high in your area and it may make it harder to get good backhaul to the cell sites too. If you check with lte discovery or the like, if you have band 13 and 4 in your area then being in range of band 4 (and 2) can add a lot of speed compared to band 13 only. Some kind of amp could help if you only get band 13 indoors.

    In my area, I've seen band 4, 13, 2, and 5 briefly. When phone's on band 13, or very weak band 4 (like -120) (where it's probably carrier aggregated with 13 and using that mostly) i'll get like 3mbps (edit: at the moment 12mbps...), but as soon as band 4 gets up to about -110 signal it's above 20mbps.

    Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by hwertz; 08-08-2019 at 10:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    442
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    If you're seeing slowdowns on the phone it's probably congestion. VZW's stated 4G speeds are 5-12mbps, it's a bit jarring if you switch from 1 site getting like 80 mbps to one getting 5mbps or something but it's within their specs. I'm sure with so few broadband choices broadband usage could be quite high in your area and it may make it harder to get good backhaul to the cell sites too. If you check with lte discovery or the like, if you have band 13 and 4 in your area then being in range of band 4 (and 2) can add a lot of speed compared to band 13 only. Some kind of amp could help if you only get band 13 indoors.

    In my area, I've seen band 4, 13, 2, and 5 briefly. When phone's on band 13, or very weak band 4 (like -120) (where it's probably carrier aggregated with 13 and using that mostly) i'll get like 3mbps, but as soon as band 4 gets up to about -110 signal it's above 20mbps.

    Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app
    I don't think I get anything other then band 13 here... at least that's what cell mapper app shows... I am going to install a cellular booster here and see if it improves or makes it worse.... I do know I get band 2 for AT&T and some times AT& agragates with 2 and 12 but that's all i've seen .. I know my verizon tower is across the water

    Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,235
    Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    I don't think I get anything other then band 13 here... at least that's what cell mapper app shows... I am going to install a cellular booster here and see if it improves or makes it worse.... I do know I get band 2 for AT&T and some times AT& agragates with 2 and 12 but that's all i've seen .. I know my verizon tower is across the water

    Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    13 can get congested very easily, so that doesn’t go in your favor, unfortunately.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    442
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    13 can get congested very easily, so that doesn’t go in your favor, unfortunately.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Might get another band here but my phone defaults to band 13 but I'd need to use a device without band 13 which I don't think I have (also don't want to loose my number testing my plan in a different device)

    Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    188
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    AT&T unlimited iPad plan- $35 after 22GB you may be slowed. Plenty of people use this plan in a hotspot. There’s a thread on the AT&T forum about it.

    I tried Verizon prepaid and in the afternoon I couldn’t get above 5 Mbps. Back on AT&T prepaid and I don’t get below 40 Mbps in the afternoon.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

    Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)


    Fios Gigabit:

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,291
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    Might get another band here but my phone defaults to band 13 but I'd need to use a device without band 13 which I don't think I have (also don't want to loose my number testing my plan in a different device)

    Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
    Naw, I've got band 13 but my phone will camp on band 4 as soon as it gets like -120 signal on it ("1 bar"), or occasionally band 2. A few others I've looked at (and a T1114V home phone with wifi) all have showed usually band 4, they usually camp on 13 when they're out of range of 4. If you're not seeing anything but band 13, it's not there yet or you're out of range of it. Agree with freakonomics101, band 13-only coverage is getting rather sluggish these days. Usage has gone up, areas with more bands running have kept up (to a greater or lesser extent) with usage, band 13-only areas have not. Installing a booster can't hurt, if you have any band 4 to get it'll help a lot, but even if the site is band 13 only a stronger signal will gain you some speed.
    Last edited by hwertz; 08-10-2019 at 11:25 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    726
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Where is the B13-only coverage? That seems kind of nuts in this day and age.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CMA003 (Chicagoland)
    Posts
    2,676
    Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Where is the B13-only coverage? That seems kind of nuts in this day and age.
    My house. My entire neighborhood. Chicago suburbs.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    160
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    I've been with Verizon on and off for 3 years now... Started when Verizon introduced unlimited back on 2017 and was on that plan for about a year before I couldn't afford it anymore but the speeds were so fast and loved it!... Went elsewhere for awhile and quickly came back... I came back to Verizon prepaid unlimited for about a 6 monthes to a year until it got to be so unusable with even 1mbps speedtests the speeds felt slower than dial up and most of the time didn't work at all... I finally in June 2019 switched back to Verizon postpaid unlimited after not being able to use my mobile data at all and loved my speed it was so fast but now that I'm now in my 3rd billing cycle I'm seeing speeds slowing down.. I pay for above unlimited plan and am supposed to get 75GB at full speeds before I'm deprioitized but sometimes at my house and even out and about even before I hit 75GB i get slowed down... I don't live in the best area but require Verizon as my main source of internet because DSL is unusable and being the only thing here for fixed internet i must use 4GLTE.... sprint roams here, T-Mobile only offers 3G here and AT&T prioritization caps at around 20GB and would only last me 1/4 of the month before I get **** speeds again (although att is almost #1 here for speed) is there anything I can do to help make my mobile data better? I mostly just use my phone to go online now and don't even use a laptop anymore.... Suggestions?

    Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    I've had the February 2017 unlimited plan since it started and our data is so slow now. I've called Verizon twice now and they say they'll do a ticket for my area. All I get is a text result with a video telling me to try HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling, or an Extender. I've told them my issues are when I'm out at places around town, not at home so I don't want an extender. I can connect to Wi-Fi at home to deal with the slow data. I'm tired of paying a $200 bill for so called premium data. I'm considering AT&T. A friend's phone gets a speed test result of 114mbps and mine on Verizon gets anywhere from 1.63mbps to 12mbps in the same area. I hate to switch after being with Verizon for 16 years, but I don't feel we are getting what we pay for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted: Verizon Unlimited Data Plan, contract OK, phone not required
    By jbflowers in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 11:30 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 08:44 PM
  3. Wanted: Verizon Unlimited Data Plan
    By greenlandbp in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 10:50 PM
  4. why is the Verizon unlimited data plan so **** expensive!?
    By halusha in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-18-2006, 01:49 PM
  5. Cheaper Verizon Unlimited Data plans in 2006?
    By Gekko in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 04:28 PM

Bookmarks