Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How does T-Mobile's actual coverage compare to AT&T?

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    That varies from area to area, too.
    That's why I stated 'more consistently in more places' which accounts for area to area variation.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    As others have mentioned AT&T isn't the fastest or have the strongest signal but it works more consistently in more places.
    That depends on the area. In CT, AT&T churns out more triple-digit speeds than any other carrier AND works in more places. But it still can vary block to block and town to town.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    That depends on the area. In CT, AT&T churns out more triple-digit speeds than any other carrier AND works in more places. But it still can vary block to block and town to town.
    All carriers vary whether it's house to house, block to block, or city to city. What I'm not apparently making clear is this consistency is greater with AT&T than T-Mobile in a BROAD sense. Throw 2 darts anywhere in the country and the chances of a usable signal from AT&T is greater whether the user is outside or in.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    All carriers vary whether it's house to house, block to block, or city to city. What I'm not apparently making clear is this consistency is greater with AT&T than T-Mobile in a BROAD sense. Throw 2 darts anywhere in the country and the chances of a usable signal from AT&T is greater whether the user is outside or in.
    Yes, that's definitely true.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    As others have mentioned AT&T isn't the fastest or have the strongest signal but it works more consistently in more places.
    AT&T has been fastest according to the same metrics T-Mobile used to claim fastest since early 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    AT&T has been fastest according to the same metrics T-Mobile used to claim fastest since early 2019.
    And it's mostly due to their spectrum portfolio, which is the most balanced in the industry.

Device(s)
    i205
    Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    Tmobile is giving out free hot spots with 30gb or 30 days which ever happens first

Device(s)
    Galaxy s7 edge, nexus 6p as a backup
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmrick View Post
    Tmobile is giving out free hot spots with 30gb or 30 days which ever happens first
    I have taken advantage of it, coverage is ok where I'm at, but at&t still works better, I'm only on day 3 using it though

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Interesting! Is the 30 days from when you order it or when it's first used? Have a cross country trip coming up at the end of October. Would be curious how it stacks up against my ATT service then.

Feedback Score
    Also curious: they are sending out these hotspots to give an idea of coverage, but I can't even find a hotspot plan on their website if I wanted to buy a plan like this long term from them... (Sprint has some interesting hotspot plans)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Michigan View Post
    Interesting! Is the 30 days from when you order it or when it's first used? Have a cross country trip coming up at the end of October. Would be curious how it stacks up against my ATT service then.
    Well on my list trip to Las Vegas just about 20 minutes by car out of the city and only AT&T and Verizon can be seen. T-Mobile is good if you're only going to stay in the metro areas. They have been aggressive in expanding and I hope that one day they can claim they cover 100% of the USA.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Also curious: they are sending out these hotspots to give an idea of coverage, but I can't even find a hotspot plan on their website if I wanted to buy a plan like this long term from them... (Sprint has some interesting hotspot plans)
    If you google, you can find some on their prepaid side. Such as $85 for 22GB.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Galaxy s7 edge, nexus 6p as a backup
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's my belief that T-Mobile is in a better competitive position relative to AT&T in markets, especially urban markets, in which AT&T originally built out for 850MHz A or B side licenses. Very simply it means T-Mobile pulls up to the starting line with the higher density of towers needed for data-intensive use, while AT&T still has to fight local planning and zoning boards, or not, to fill in gaps on a network that isn't really very data friendly to start with. But you go to rural areas and T-Mobile is often more sparse, and you need to zoom quite deeply into their maps to even begin to get wind of areas where they are running on fumes.

I also think phones can be set up differently; I got the distinct impression from reading Reddit posts that the Google Pixel 3 and 3XL did much better on Verizon and AT&T than on other carriers, for example. Pick almost any phone you care to look at and antenna gain varies widely from one band to the next; you have to dig closely in to FCC materials to improve your odds of picking up a device that best matches your carrier's frequencies, and even then things like firmware can cause trouble.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast