Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: How does T-Mobile's actual coverage compare to AT&T?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,838
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post
    It's my belief that T-Mobile is in a better competitive position relative to AT&T in markets, especially urban markets, in which AT&T originally built out for 850MHz A or B side licenses. Very simply it means T-Mobile pulls up to the starting line with the higher density of towers needed for data-intensive use, while AT&T still has to fight local planning and zoning boards, or not, to fill in gaps on a network that isn't really very data friendly to start with. But you go to rural areas and T-Mobile is often more sparse, and you need to zoom quite deeply into their maps to even begin to get wind of areas where they are running on fumes.

    I also think phones can be set up differently; I got the distinct impression from reading Reddit posts that the Google Pixel 3 and 3XL did much better on Verizon and AT&T than on other carriers, for example. Pick almost any phone you care to look at and antenna gain varies widely from one band to the next; you have to dig closely in to FCC materials to improve your odds of picking up a device that best matches your carrier's frequencies, and even then things like firmware can cause trouble.
    There are many urban markets where AT&T had acquired 1900 MHz markets through mergers, so this isn’t completely true.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    778
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post
    It's my belief that T-Mobile is in a better competitive position relative to AT&T in markets, especially urban markets, in which AT&T originally built out for 850MHz A or B side licenses. Very simply it means T-Mobile pulls up to the starting line with the higher density of towers needed for data-intensive use, while AT&T still has to fight local planning and zoning boards, or not, to fill in gaps on a network that isn't really very data friendly to start with.
    On the other hand, AT&T's spectrum position is great and has a well-balanced set of spectrum. Verizon leapfrogged the whole density issue in a lot of places by going to mostly small cells. AT&T could do the same thing in markets where they don't have the density, they just don't have to do it in nearly as large of an area due to their superior spectrum position. It seems to go in cycles and waves, T-Mobile used to be really dense, now Verizon is the most dense in some markets as they are running almost entirely off of small cells. Verizon was thought to have an unbeatable spectrum position with B13 and now their spectrum position is the worst in the industry.

    I also think phones can be set up differently; I got the distinct impression from reading Reddit posts that the Google Pixel 3 and 3XL did much better on Verizon and AT&T than on other carriers, for example. Pick almost any phone you care to look at and antenna gain varies widely from one band to the next; you have to dig closely in to FCC materials to improve your odds of picking up a device that best matches your carrier's frequencies, and even then things like firmware can cause trouble.
    That's a very interesting thought. PCMag did testing on B4 that showed the Intel iPhones are junk reception wise, but they didn't do it on B12/13, probably because it's technically a different band from carrier to carrier.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,613
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    There are many urban markets where AT&T had acquired 1900 MHz markets through mergers, so this isn’t completely true.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Rural areas, like ours, too, like they did when they fully absorbed their affiliate, Edge Wireless into them in 2009. Edge Wireless was 60% privately held, with AT&T holding a 40% interest, they were 1900 only. The 850 carriers here are Verizon and U.S. Cellular. Of course, all the providers here (AT&T, VZ, USCC, TMO) all have low band here, now, 600 and/or 700, so 850 isn't the advantage it used to be.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,753
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I spent last weekend running around the mountains of north Georgia. I found T-Mobile's service to be pretty OK. Dead spots were roughly comparable to my brother's AT&T service. Neither was nearly as good as my PagePlus (Verizon) backup phone.
    Donald Newcomb

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    7,044
    Device(s)
    Cricket E5 Supra, Stylo 4, metro Moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is there a general degradation in Att signal or just in my area???

    My issue may have been discussed (so many replies), but I've been very satisfied with att/cricket constantly for the last 15 years, although now with cricket, which is advertised as Att coverage, and had been/is identical except maybe for maybe priority issues.
    I'm asking here as the cricket forum had been dead for months.

    However, since about June, I've been very frustrated at decreased signal at my home and work locations, as well as numerous other scattered locations in my East TN coverage area.

    No need for endless detail, but I've swapped handsets, even fortunately discovering a budget Moto handset which apparently has a better radio than numerous other new handsets.
    I've worn out the cell maker mapper app, and feel comfortable reading signal strengths, and other data there, where formerly I rarely ever had the reason to use it as I had 4-5 bars and almost perfect reception. NOT TRUE NOW!!!!
    Example. My nearest tower (less than half mile) serves both Att and t mobile (verified by numerous apps similar to to cell mapper) I get consistent 4-5 bars with T-Mobile(already have) but now with Att an getting maybe 1-2.5 bars with att, whereas formerly had 4-5 at t bars.

    I never thought I'd say it, but thankfully, I've got t mobile, whose general coverage has issues, but I can at least forward my calls to the tm line, at home and work----but this is ridiculous and I've complained to both cricket and Att with no help this far.

    I've always kept a backup carrier, it's just odd that their rolls have reversed, and I can no longer recommend Att in this area.

    Vzw here I come, I guess.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,393
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Is there a general degradation in Att signal or just in my area???

    My issue may have been discussed (so many replies), but I've been very satisfied with att/cricket constantly for the last 15 years, although now with cricket, which is advertised as Att coverage, and had been/is identical except maybe for maybe priority issues.
    I'm asking here as the cricket forum had been dead for months.

    However, since about June, I've been very frustrated at decreased signal at my home and work locations, as well as numerous other scattered locations in my East TN coverage area.

    No need for endless detail, but I've swapped handsets, even fortunately discovering a budget Moto handset which apparently has a better radio than numerous other new handsets.
    I've worn out the cell maker mapper app, and feel comfortable reading signal strengths, and other data there, where formerly I rarely ever had the reason to use it as I had 4-5 bars and almost perfect reception. NOT TRUE NOW!!!!
    Example. My nearest tower (less than half mile) serves both Att and t mobile (verified by numerous apps similar to to cell mapper) I get consistent 4-5 bars with T-Mobile(already have) but now with Att an getting maybe 1-2.5 bars with att, whereas formerly had 4-5 at t bars.

    I never thought I'd say it, but thankfully, I've got t mobile, whose general coverage has issues, but I can at least forward my calls to the tm line, at home and work----but this is ridiculous and I've complained to both cricket and Att with no help this far.

    I've always kept a backup carrier, it's just odd that their rolls have reversed, and I can no longer recommend Att in this area.

    Vzw here I come, I guess.
    I believe if you have the white sim with the green stripe you need to replace it. Iirc, that’s been a fix for cricket in the last couple of months.



    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    7,044
    Device(s)
    Cricket E5 Supra, Stylo 4, metro Moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger32 View Post
    I believe if you have the white sim with the green stripe you need to replace it. Iirc, that’s been a fix for cricket in the last couple of months.



    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I wish that were the case. I tried new Sims, new phones, and a new line of service. And have just recently talked with a couple of post paid att users who are having similar issues and one of them says the local att store confirmed area wide signal issues.

    It's a sorry scenario that for whatever enept excuse that att has let their formerly Superior coverage become so third rate, to the point I've got to prefer and depend on metro/T-m, in my area at least. And this has been occurring since June.

    If I weren't the administrator of a shared group, I'd think seriously about moving on.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,753
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger32 View Post
    I believe if you have the white sim with the green stripe you need to replace it. Iirc, that’s been a fix for cricket in the last couple of months. .....
    Carriers and individuals often recommend a new SIM to fix coverage issues but I have yet to see a cogent explanation of why that would help.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,873
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    I wish that were the case. I tried new Sims, new phones, and a new line of service. And have just recently talked with a couple of post paid att users who are having similar issues and one of them says the local att store confirmed area wide signal issues.

    It's a sorry scenario that for whatever enept excuse that att has let their formerly Superior coverage become so third rate, to the point I've got to prefer and depend on metro/T-m, in my area at least. And this has been occurring since June.

    If I weren't the administrator of a shared group, I'd think seriously about moving on.
    I've seen this happen in my neighborhood. It took a few months, but it was fixed. Seemed to be faulty radio heads that needed to be replaced.

    Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    814
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    How does T-Mobile's actual coverage compare to AT&T?

    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Carriers and individuals often recommend a new SIM to fix coverage issues but I have yet to see a cogent explanation of why that would help.
    Newer sims can have updated network information. When LTE was first launched you had to have a compatable sim or it wouldn’t work. The same applies when VoLTE was launched at least on AT&T. There have been various changes made to the Sim application toolkit over the years.

    SIM cards are way more complex than most people realize they are like little computers having their own microprocessor running Javacard OS.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,394
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is it possible that AT&T switched frequencies (e.g. from 700/850 to 1900 or AWS)? Similarly could one or more of the panels be damaged? It took me a few weeks with TMobile, but I got them to 'fix' a site where I was getting about 0.5Mbps down at 2000' from their site across a field. Now it's hitting 3 to 5Mbps. Massive use area with heavy overlay (poor SINR and RSRQ)

    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Similar Threads

  1. How does RF on JAM & Eten M500 compare to other phones?
    By wheresmycell in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 08:28 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 11:44 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 12:45 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-24-2002, 06:21 PM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-04-2002, 05:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks