Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How does T-Mobile's actual coverage compare to AT&T?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm in Houston and recently switched to AT&T. Based on my experience, I can say T-Mobile is better in the metro area. Once you live the city though, AT&T shines.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Was at dinner last night with some folks. Guy next to me, AT&T user, had ZERO service.

I fired up T-Mobile and had incredible service. And this was INSIDE. Go figure.

But, 1.5 miles away, each of them sucks as bad as the other. In other words: it depends.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Was at dinner last night with some folks. Guy next to me, AT&T user, had ZERO service.

But, 1.5 miles away, each of them sucks as bad as the other. In other words: it depends.
    Where was this?

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Fyi, other than downtown, t mobile is very spotty in hilly areas on East coast. My house is a mobile dead spot. Att it's great, however. Att and Verizon put up additional cells in all the valleys to cover the dead spots... It appears t mobile just relies on its towers.

It's crazy looking in a significant city and having dropped calls all over the place... But that's t mobile and that's why I'm with att...

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Left AT&T in 2014 after 10 years of service for T-Mobile and haven't looked back.

They're both solid here in Atlanta, and I can't say anything bad about either for this particular market. With both, you will want to make sure you have a phone that supports all their bands.

IMHO AT&T = overrated T-Mobile = underrated
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

This is why it's time for e-SIM / dual SIM

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've had Dual Sim on my iPhone Xs Max since December, and am NEVER going back to without Dual Sim.

It's awesome!!!

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk214 View Post
    I was looking at a T-Mobile coverage map and it looks like they have pretty stellar coverage, even in remote places of Wyoming for example. Now, AT&T has coverage in those places too, but how does AT&T compare to T-Mobile in real world usage? Is it true that T-Mobile covers 99% of Americans vs AT&T's claim that they are the "best network"?

I live in Albuquerque, NM where AT&T bought Plateau Telecom so that greatly increased coverage in eastern New Mexico. But looking at the coverage maps side by side, it looks like T-Mobile has more coverage than even Verizon. Is this all just a lie?
    It varies from place to place. I've found that 'outdoors', T-Mobile has usable service in many rural areas, but in general, typically has many places listed as 'covered' that have no service at all. All carriers do this, but here is my 2 cents based on having AT&T for work, and T-Mobile for personal:
    - Typically T-Mobile in rural areas has fewer sites
    - Typically (IMHO), T-Mobile has more overly exaggerated coverage locations ('fair' = 'maybe' to 'fair' = your phone must have a Yagi or be on 300' off the ground).
    - In rural areas, where it does work, if you are near the site, its typically fast, as many rural customers typically do not use T-Mobile (tourist locations excepted).
    Eg. Cambria, CA. Verizon has sites in town, and on the hotel strip. AT&T has sites that cover the town. T-Mobile has one metro cell that covers 1/2 of the town. T-Mobile claims that its macro site 5 miles away covers the other 1/2... I get 'No Service'.
    Eg. Estes Park, CO. Verizon/AT&T and Sprint have cells that cover the main street (on the main street). T-Mobile's site is +2 miles away, and has service... but is unusable.
    Eg. I-75 Northern/UP of Michigan. T-Mobile has 10 mile gaps in coverage, north of St. Ignace, and south of West Branch, MI.... listed as service covered. I can't speak for VZW in this area, but in general, AT&T has it covered, as my phone went to 'Emergency Service' roaming on ... AT&T. This also happens in some parts of SoCal (rural).

It really depends on what you're looking for and need in rural areas. If you area a contractor or person that goes typically in many rural locations and 'need' service... you may be disappointed by T-Mobile. If you're using it as passing through dead zones and those aren't locations that you're worried about... then it may be OK.
    Check out cell mapper to see areas that are mapped out by users. T-Mobile typically has the most active coverage on that site.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In my immediate area (northwest St. Louis area adjacent to a suburb that was world-famous for all the wrong reasons 5 years ago), T-Mobile actually does have the best coverage, but that's not the norm. I have AT&T on my primary phone and manage a family plan for my whole extended family and in-laws. I also carry a phone on T-Mobile prepaid for basically signal testing "geek" stuff and also as a backup if I am really somewhere lacking service. T-Mobile might outperform AT&T in a few select areas. For example in some of the lower-income St. Louis suburbs T-Mobile does blow everyone else away and is investing in upgrades and new towers when no one else is. But overall, I stick with AT&T because it "just works" everywhere. Might not be the fastest or most bars everywhere, but it works. I have a sister who signed on with T-Mobile because it was cheaper and the coverage map showed fine service all over -- not so in the central great plains where she lives. Near her home the coverage maps assume a 20 mile radius on a band 4 tower -- no way that's happening. She's on the AT&T family plan now.

I follow T-Mobile closely as their offers always look attractive, but never quite enough to actually make the move of trying to switch the whole extended family over. I know the reality doesn't match the hype.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    let me tell you, AT&T doesn't necessarily have the rural areas covered.

Example: Outer Banks. They each suck equally, outside is barely there and inside is non-existent.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    I stick with AT&T because it "just works" everywhere. Might not be the fastest or most bars everywhere, but it works.
    In general, in SoCal, and places that I have travelled, this is mostly true.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The OP is in New Mexico but I haven't read anyone address him specifically.

I believe T-Mobile does have a slight native coverage advantage in his state historically. With FirstNet I'm not sure how much anymore?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    The OP is in New Mexico but I haven't read anyone address him specifically.

I believe T-Mobile does have a slight native coverage advantage in his state historically. With FirstNet I'm not sure how much anymore?
    They also just signed a deal with Commnet to overbuild their coverage for FirstNet. If not immediately, coverage should improve a TON.

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/atandt-outsources-firstnet-construction-to-atns-commnet-for-$1675m-in-southwest/d/d-id/753350

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    AT&T: 2008, 2012-2014, 2016-Present
    T-Mobile: 2011-2012, 2015, 2017-2019
    Verizon: 2010 via Straight Talk for 2 months, 2018
    Sprint: Couldn't pay me to use them

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    I've had Dual Sim on my iPhone Xs Max since December, and am NEVER going back to without Dual Sim.

It's awesome!!!
    My eSIM/dual sim has been flakey. I have AT&T (primary) as eSIM, and Verizon as a physical SIM. Verizon often “locks up” and the line loses service and asks for my PUK code. Kind of annoying. AT&T in eSIM has been flawless however.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    They also just signed a deal with Commnet to overbuild their coverage for FirstNet. If not immediately, coverage should improve a TON.

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/atandt-outsources-firstnet-construction-to-atns-commnet-for-$1675m-in-southwest/d/d-id/753350

Now that is awesome news. Data roaming on Commnet in the SW is never a fun experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast