Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How does T-Mobile's actual coverage compare to AT&T?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    They also just signed a deal with Commnet to overbuild their coverage for FirstNet. If not immediately, coverage should improve a TON.

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/atandt-outsources-firstnet-construction-to-atns-commnet-for-$1675m-in-southwest/d/d-id/753350

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Wow, that's great news

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is it New Mexico or Arizona that's a disaster on AT&T? It really depends on the market, but in general, nationwide, AT&T has much better coverage. With a T-Mobile branded phone on a T-Mobile postpaid plan, some markets will have USCC roaming, which is typically superior to everything else, even if it won't excite the speedtests.

I've found in CT that in more exurban/rural areas, T-Mobile isn't as good as AT&T, but T-Mobile has the most sites in suburban/urban areas. AT&T has excellent coverage, but not always the most bars, but generally still has a huge speed advantage due to some combination of a crapload of spectrum and good backhaul arrangements as they were the ILEC here until a few years ago.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My experience with T-Mobile in NM was that they had superior coverage on some highways like US 285 between Santa Fe and Roswell. AT&T at the time hadn’t integrated Plateau yet, but from what I can tell Plateau only had a few sites along that highway anyway.

In my area my experience with T-Mobile is varied. The Chicagoland coverage is very good, quite a bit better coverage depth than AT&T. But there are still spots I go to at the edge of the metro that are sub par for both, while Verizon is taking the crown. One place I make a few trips to in the summer in SW Michigan, T-Mobile is a hot mess that leaves one questioning their legitimacy as a carrier. AT&T has its own issues in that area but they at least can make a call.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    To the OP, as stated, everyone lies about their map. The best way to see actual coverage is usually to look at their top prepaid company's data map and see where they have data since they usually don't want to pay to let people do data roaming. T-Mobile has gotten better in their coverage, but you'd have to know if the area is covered by band 12 or not, especially if you are not using a T-Mobile branded phone as you could show a data signal but not be able to make a call. As much as Sprint needed the merger to go through, T-Mobile needed to get their hands on Sprint's spectrum and network in some areas to fill in the gaps that they have. If you are going to try postpaid and get Sprint roaming, it may be a different story than if you had Metro's coverage for now.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    To the OP, as stated, everyone lies about their map. The best way to see actual coverage is usually to look at their top prepaid company's data map and see where they have data since they usually don't want to pay to let people do data roaming. T-Mobile has gotten better in their coverage, but you'd have to know if the area is covered by band 12 or not, especially if you are not using a T-Mobile branded phone as you could show a data signal but not be able to make a call. As much as Sprint needed the merger to go through, T-Mobile needed to get their hands on Sprint's spectrum and network in some areas to fill in the gaps that they have. If you are going to try postpaid and get Sprint roaming, it may be a different story than if you had Metro's coverage for now.
    They all lie, but some more than others. Verizon used to lie the most, now they lie the least. T-Mobile takes the cake for crayoning the map, although Sprint is deceptive in that they show roaming until you zoom way in, so they're basically showing their native coverage AND Verizon AND USCC at a national level. T-Mobile is good about VoLTE support on unbranded devices, the issue is that they don't seem to be able to get USCC VoLTE roaming due to something on USCC's end.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3