Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Slow LTE rollout in Manitoba?

Is it just me or does the rollout of LTE across Manitoba seem pretty slow/completely stalled since MTS was purchased by Bell? I’m not in Manitoba to speak to this first hand but just judging by both Bell’s and Rogers’ coverage maps it doesn’t seem like much has changed or at least very quickly....

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Most places I go have LTE but the signal sucks. There's a new tower about a mile from my house and I get 1 bar of service on LTE. 4 miles away VoLTE calls drop.

Probably running on AWS spectrum, if you force the phone to 3G all those places have full bars and I'm pretty sure 3G is still on 850 mhz.

It's really annoying because on 3G data hardly works. Using the "Data only" on LTE option on my iPhone doesn't seem to work very good either, it'll switch to 3G, phone will ring then drop the call. Once it establishes itself on 3G and the bars climb to full, then it's fine.

The slightest tuft of trees is enough to kill the LTE signal too. We have land 2 miles from the tower but there's a creek with some trees on either side of it. If you're on the opposite side, no LTE for you. But again, 3G is full signal.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
    Most places I go have LTE but the signal sucks. There's a new tower about a mile from my house and I get 1 bar of service on LTE. 4 miles away VoLTE calls drop.

Probably running on AWS spectrum, if you force the phone to 3G all those places have full bars and I'm pretty sure 3G is still on 850 mhz.

It's really annoying because on 3G data hardly works. Using the "Data only" on LTE option on my iPhone doesn't seem to work very good either, it'll switch to 3G, phone will ring then drop the call. Once it establishes itself on 3G and the bars climb to full, then it's fine.

The slightest tuft of trees is enough to kill the LTE signal too. We have land 2 miles from the tower but there's a creek with some trees on either side of it. If you're on the opposite side, no LTE for you. But again, 3G is full signal.
    Surprisingly they don't run LTE at the same transmit power as HSPA, it's roughly half. Sheytoon might have more info on this, my source is the government of Canada cell tower database.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well that's interesting, I wonder why.

Recent development is you can actually pull more than 25-30 mbps off the new tower now though. I don't run speedtests often, but when the tower first went live it would hardly ever break that barrier.

Now if you have a half decent signal it'll surpass 100 mbps so they did change something.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4 16 GB and Iphone4 8 gb
    Carrier(s)
    MTS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree with everything that is said here. In Downtown Winnipeg I get 5 bars LTE but in East/North Kildonan I get 1-2 bars of LTE. I have been experiencing this on MTS way before Bell bought MTS then on Bell mobility after I migrated over from MTS.

If I remember correctly my friend used to have strong LTE signal on Bell before Bell bought MTS, apparently Bell uses all of MTS old towers which was better outside of urban areas then Bells was prior to the merger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk