Thread: Recommendations for 4 person family plan or 4 individual plans.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Recommendations for 4 person family plan or 4 individual plans.

Hi, I just recently found this forum and there is definitely a wealth of knowledge here. It definitely seems like the place to be for wireless discussions!

I have a family plan with 4 people on it. My mother, my significant other and I, and my son. We were on Crickets 4 person unlimited plan for $100. I then switched to Sprints free unlimited plan for 1 year, which currently runs out in a months time. So, we're searching for something new again.

Now I really like unlimited plans but I will take all recommendations and advice. Now me specifically I could probably watch my data usage. I range from 8-15gb of usage a month, I stream youtube, podcasts, and music apps constantly at work. My work does have WiFi, but I prefer to stay off of it for privacy and it doesn't allow my VPN to connect. My mother barely uses 500mb and my significant other is almost always under 5gb too because she is usually on WiFi. My son uses tons of data because he plays games and some of them can often be 10-20gb+ just to download a single game.

So, that's why I stick to unlimited primarily so we don't' have to worry about unexpected bills or forgetting to connect to WiFi when we download a big application, etc., even though only half of us might go over on data usage.

All these mvno brands are new to me, but from what I see my top picks are:

Cricket Wireless - $100/ 4 Lines Unlimited 3MBps
    Red Pocket - $90/ 4 Lines 5GB but unlimited slow data so no overages.
    MetroPCS - $120/ 4 Lines Unlimited + 15GB Hotspot + 2 Free Phones + Free Amazon Prime

If there are any other notable mentions please let me know. Metro seems like the best deal overall because we have Amazon that we currently pay for. My only concern is T-Mobiles network, because I've never been on it.

I live in SW Pennsylvania and I work in West Virginia so coverage is pretty spotty with a lot of carriers. Sprint sucks honestly, but it worked in Morgantown and even though it was spotty in PA, it was adequate enough for being free. AT&T & Verizon have excellent coverage in my area.

I definitely want to stay around $100/month or less for 4 lines. The metro only comes in close at $108/mo when you factor in the 12/mo for Prime.

Additionally, the phones I have are all Motorola G devices for the most part, so I believe I can take them to mostly any carrier.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by beastykato View Post
    Hi, I just recently found this forum and there is definitely a wealth of knowledge here. It definitely seems like the place to be for wireless discussions!

I have a family plan with 4 people on it. My mother, my significant other and I, and my son. We were on Crickets 4 person unlimited plan for $100. I then switched to Sprints free unlimited plan for 1 year, which currently runs out in a months time. So, we're searching for something new again.

Now I really like unlimited plans but I will take all recommendations and advice. Now me specifically I could probably watch my data usage. I range from 8-15gb of usage a month, I stream youtube, podcasts, and music apps constantly at work. My work does have WiFi, but I prefer to stay off of it for privacy and it doesn't allow my VPN to connect. My mother barely uses 500mb and my significant other is almost always under 5gb too because she is usually on WiFi. My son uses tons of data because he plays games and some of them can often be 10-20gb+ just to download a single game.

So, that's why I stick to unlimited primarily so we don't' have to worry about unexpected bills or forgetting to connect to WiFi when we download a big application, etc., even though only half of us might go over on data usage.

All these mvno brands are new to me, but from what I see my top picks are:

Cricket Wireless - $100/ 4 Lines Unlimited 3MBps
    Red Pocket - $90/ 4 Lines 5GB but unlimited slow data so no overages.
    MetroPCS - $120/ 4 Lines Unlimited + 15GB Hotspot + 2 Free Phones + Free Amazon Prime

If there are any other notable mentions please let me know. Metro seems like the best deal overall because we have Amazon that we currently pay for. My only concern is T-Mobiles network, because I've never been on it.

I live in SW Pennsylvania and I work in West Virginia so coverage is pretty spotty with a lot of carriers. Sprint sucks honestly, but it worked in Morgantown and even though it was spotty in PA, it was adequate enough for being free. AT&T & Verizon have excellent coverage in my area.

I definitely want to stay around $100/month or less for 4 lines. The metro only comes in close at $108/mo when you factor in the 12/mo for Prime.

Additionally, the phones I have are all Motorola G devices for the most part, so I believe I can take them to mostly any carrier.
    You might consider Total Wireless, which uses the Verizon network.

$95/30 days + taxes/fees on auto pay for UT&T+100GB LTE shared between 4 lines, then unlimited data at 2G speeds. If you ever do go over your LTE allowance and want more, you can add another 5GB LTE shared for $10 that never expires as long as your account is active.

https://totalwireless.com/serviceplan

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Do all 4 networks provide good coverage in your locales?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Total Wireless definitely looks like an option too. As for the networks according to their coverage maps they all have coverage in SW PA and Northern WV.

I know that AT&T and Verizon are good.

Sprint worked most places but was spotty. I would often lose connection while driving and trying to make phone calls along major highways. They were small pockets of service loss, but it was enough for me to drop calls and have to call people back.

T-Mobile I really have no idea if it works good in my area or not. The only experience I ever had with it was a brief stint on Google Fi 4+ years ago and back then it was not good at all. Judging by their updated coverage map it looks like they have consistent service now in upper WV.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Total Wireless definitely looks like an option too. As for the networks according to their coverage maps they all have coverage in SW PA and Northern WV.

I know that AT&T and Verizon are good.

Sprint worked most places but was spotty. I would often lose connection while driving and trying to make phone calls along major highways. They were small pockets of service loss, but it was enough for me to drop calls and have to call people back.

T-Mobile I really have no idea if it works good in my area or not. The only experience I ever had with it was a brief stint on Google Fi 4+ years ago and back then it was not good at all. Judging by their updated coverage map it looks like they have consistent service now in upper WV.
    You're welcome. It sounds like 100GB/30 days shared would be enough for your described usage.

My sons have used TW since 2016, and the service has been very good. They use the 2 line $57/30 days + taxes/fees on auto pay plan, which was originally 8GB shared, then was increased to 15GB shared, and has now been increased again to 30GB shared, with no price increase.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, G4+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I got 4 free moto g7 powers at Metro back in June. They came with the 4/$100 plan with no extras. I'm sure you can still get this deal. Just go to a corporate store. Stay away from the authorized resellers. Every one of them that I've been to will try and rip you off.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ....I know that AT&T and Verizon are good....
    Then I would stick with those two carrier backbones ONLY. No reason to gamble.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I actually tried to go to a metro store today. I figured at the very least I'd get the phones for 6 months then switch to one of the Verizon or AT&T carriers if the coverage was bad.

Both of the metro places were resellers within 30 miles of me. Neither of them would answer their phones for the last two days. One of them appears even shut off. I drove to the closest store and it had over 15 UPS delivery stickers on the door. Looked like it was abandoned in the middle of a business plaza.

Needless to say I won't be getting the deal lol. Because I'm not driving an hour+ out just to go to a MetroPCS store. I can't say I've experienced something so backwards in my life. Metro really seems out of touch with reality with the brick and mortar store approach and no way to order online. Anyway, they're obviously failing pretty hard in my area.

Device(s)
    Doogee S90, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone Pro, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,T-Mo,Sprint,KoKo,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Cheap way to try Tmo would be to get a $5 trial Mint Mobile sim card kit. Mint is inexpensive, good and even has international roaming, but wouldn't work for your son because no unlimited plans at this time...but their parent Ultra does have one.

Sent from my S90 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just make sure those "free" phones can be used fully & not crippled onto the next carrier(s).
    VERY FEW phones purchased at one carrier can be optimally used on other carriers.

Again I'll say very few phones can be optimally used on other carriers.
    Even if they're unlocked there is usually hardware limitations affecting optimal usage on other carriers.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Metro really seems out of touch with reality with the brick and mortar store approach and no way to order online. Anyway, they're obviously failing pretty hard in my area.
    I checked out their site after I read this...and you are absolutely right! No way to order on-line is totally ridiculous. Where I live there are Metro stores everywhere...but still. Very odd business plan for today's market.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am on the TotalWireless 100GB LTE plan, shared for 4 lines at $95 (autopay), running on Verizon Wireless network. 2G speeds after that. They allow bring your own devices (Verizon compatible).
    I was on that plan for a few years, when th eallowed data was only 20GB and no 2G after that, no VoLTE and speed was throttled.
    Now there is no more throttle, VoLTE with HD voice is active, Visual Voicemail works (on my Samsung or Moto G7). Upgrading phones can be done on their website in minutes. Needed SIM cards are $1 on Amazon.
    https://www.totalwireless.com/serviceplan

You can verify if the phone will work with them if you know the IMEI number.

Use code RWOI-B602 for extra boost in rewards points (9000 that can buy extra GB of data or even pay for a month of plan).
    If you buy also a phone, can use REWARDS10 code for 10% off the phone price.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'd do a comparison between Total Wireless and Verizon Prepaid. Factor in promotions and any need for hotspot. Total doesn't have it and VZW Prepaid does. I couldn't tell any difference between Verizon Postpay/Prepay and Total for coverage. If you go VZW prepaid, buy fill cards on Amazon or Ebay and save up to 25%.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As a side note - TW doesn't have officially hotspot. However, on factory unlocked phones... it works.
    Sure, is not meant to be abused, just for emergencies.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I am on the TotalWireless 100GB LTE plan, shared for 4 lines at $95 (autopay), running on Verizon Wireless network. 2G speeds after that. They allow bring your own devices (Verizon compatible).
    I was on that plan for a few years, when th eallowed data was only 20GB and no 2G after that, no VoLTE and speed was throttled.
    Now there is no more throttle, VoLTE with HD voice is active, Visual Voicemail works (on my Samsung or Moto G7). Upgrading phones can be done on their website in minutes. Needed SIM cards are $1 on Amazon.
    https://www.totalwireless.com/serviceplan

You can verify if the phone will work with them if you know the IMEI number.

Use code RWOI-B602 for extra boost in rewards points (9000 that can buy extra GB of data or even pay for a month of plan).
    If you buy also a phone, can use REWARDS10 code for 10% off the phone price.
    What speeds are you getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk