Thread: Is harvesting HSN’s phones worth it any more?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Is harvesting HSN’s phones worth it any more?

For last few years I been using promotional Tracfone HSN phone deals to add one year service and 1500 min/text/data to my account as that was cheapest way to go. Especially when HSN offer $49 phones with such promotional service.

1200 Min/Text/Data with one year service would cost $99 from retailers and Tracfone web site.

But with new $10 card (500 minutes/no service days) and $15 card (500 M/T/D with 30 service days), It seem not to be worth going HSN route to harvest their promotional service.

One can by three $15 cars for total of $45, and that is still $15 cheaper than current lowest HSN’s phone (LG Rebel 4 $59) with 1500 promotional minutes and data.

So unless one need new phone, or added service days, Tracfone HSN phone deals don’t seem so tempting anymore.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    But with new $10 card (500 minutes/no service days) and $15 card (500 M/T/D with 30 service days), It seem not to be worth going HSN route to harvest their promotional service.

One can by three $15 cars for total of $45, and that is still $15 cheaper than current lowest HSN’s phone (LG Rebel 4 $59) with 1500 promotional minutes and data.
    Although three $15 cards will get you 1500/1500/1500, they'll get you only 90 days of service vs 1-yr with an HSN phone.

A better deal is the new deal that TF introduced in mid-May , $49.99 for 1200/1200/3GB and 1-yr of service. Even though it's listed as pre-loaded SIMs, if you select "I'm not sure" for the carrier they'll send SIMs for all 3 carriers and a separate time card. You can apply the time card directly to your existing phone and not use the SIMs.

Anyway, I agree that the bundles from HSN & QVC are getting less attractive unless you want a new phone.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I ordered a Moto E5 with the 1500/1500/1500 one year deal on HSN today for $59.99 plus tax,

gives me a Verizon phone if needed to go with the TMO / Mint phone.

How it has service when needed !
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    I ordered a Moto E5 with the 1500/1500/1500 one year deal on HSN today for $59.99 plus tax,

gives me a Verizon phone if needed to go with the TMO / Mint phone.

How it has service when needed !
    TF phones don't work on mint as far as I know.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    For last few years I been using promotional Tracfone HSN phone deals to add one year service and 1500 min/text/data to my account as that was cheapest way to go. Especially when HSN offer $49 phones with such promotional service.

1200 Min/Text/Data with one year service would cost $99 from retailers and Tracfone web site.

So unless one need new phone, or added service days, Tracfone HSN phone deals don’t seem so tempting anymore.
    I agree as well.
    But, the phone itself has resale value, if one so chooses - which lowers the cost basis for the MTD/service days.
    However, the time / energy/ hassle of selling it is probably not worth it - I’ve done it three times.
    Interesting stuff.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Although three $15 cards will get you 1500/1500/1500, they'll get you only 90 days of service vs 1-yr with an HSN phone.

A better deal is the new deal that TF introduced in mid-May , $49.99 for 1200/1200/3GB and 1-yr of service. Even though it's listed as pre-loaded SIMs, if you select "I'm not sure" for the carrier they'll send SIMs for all 3 carriers and a separate time card. You can apply the time card directly to your existing phone and not use the SIMs.

Anyway, I agree that the bundles from HSN & QVC are getting less attractive unless you want a new phone.
    That is probably the best deal I seen with promotional minutes and 1 year service. And thanks for "I am not sure" info trick.

I wish they would also offer such a deal on Tracfone web site and retailors. That would be a huge seller as local retailors only offer $20/$25 smart card.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    I agree as well.
    But, the phone itself has resale value, if one so chooses - which lowers the cost basis for the MTD/service days.
    However, the time / energy/ hassle of selling it is probably not worth it - I’ve done it three times.
    Interesting stuff.
    Some phones probably worth more to resale than others. As track VW noted, HSN also offer Moto e5 (5.7" screen) and LG Premier Pro (5.3" screen) for $59 with promotional service. But such a deal only last few days or until they ran out stock.