Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FreeUP: Is it time to plan what next?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMDHoward View Post
    The site say SIM FREE but shipping $5.00. Does it make sense to pay $5.00 for shipping of SIM?
    Thanks for sharing.
    I didn't mind paying the $5 shipping charge for a free SIM when I signed up the free plan even though I knew it was $1.99 just a few months earlier. Maybe it would give a better perception if FreeUP advertises $5 SIM with free shipping instead.

Feedback Score
    Maybe it would give a better perception if FreeUP advertises $5 SIM with free shipping instead.
    It certainly would! Claiming that the SIM charge is $10 -- with a permanent $10 discount -- is just marketing hype and everyone knows it. Better to simply charge $5 for the SIM directly.

What's even worse in their marketing hype is their claim to offer "Unlimited Hotspot Wi-Fi" which is pure BS. They are not offering anything when they make this claim! Anyone with a wifi device can access the same hotspots without FreeUp, so what exactly gives them the right to claim that their free plan includes this "Unlimited Hotspot Wi-Fi" benefit?

What really irritates me about their so-called service is that I bought a SIM from them while their free offer was still 1000 talk or text, but months later I had not yet received it. I had forgotten all about it when my current service got a problem fixed, so when I finally remembered this I asked FreeUp to resend it -- which they did -- but now the free plan comes with only 250 talk or text.

And NO DATA whatsoever.
    And you have to login and renew the plan at a specific time each month or you lose it.
    And they require a credit card on file for a free plan! Shades of FreedomPop's unauthorized credit card charging anyone?

I just received their SIM but now I cannot bring myself to register or activate it. The included welcome letter seem to suggest that customers should spend up to 18.5 hours a month printing coupons, taking surveys, doing searches, watching videos, and downloading files -- and in compensation for all this time and effort they will credit our paid FreeUp accounts at the rate of $1.10 per hour? Or likely much less since their time estimates are questionable at best.

Seriously???

This is why I never considered anything but the free plan from the beginning. I never had any intention of working for FreeUp. All I wanted was the free plan with 1000 talk or texts. But now that I actually have the option of activating the SIM they sent me, a total of 250 combined talk minutes and text messages is hardly worth it, especially when zero data is included. So I'll probably just sit on this SIM until I see some changes for the better. But I won't hold my breath.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    All I wanted was the free plan with 1000 talk or texts. But now that I actually have the option of activating the SIM they sent me, a total of 250 combined talk minutes and text messages is hardly worth it, especially when zero data is included. So I'll probably just sit on this SIM until I see some changes for the better. But I won't hold my breath.
    The "1000 minutes talk or texts" free plan didn't include any data from the very beginning so, to be fair, one can't fault FreeUP on account of zero data. My take is the freebies included with the free plan will only get less, not more, so you may want to activate your SIM now rather than later.

Carrier(s)
    LycaMobile, FtreedomPop, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The original plan (before 1000/1000/0) did include some data (500/500/200 ?). I was late to the party and only got the 1000/1000/0. BTW while the renewal page complains about having no payment method you can still renew the free plan without .

Feedback Score
    Yep, I renewed my free 1000-minutes talk/text plan successfully earlier today even though the credit card on file expired last month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
    The original plan (before 1000/1000/0) did include some data (500/500/200 ?). I was late to the party and only got the 1000/1000/0. BTW while the renewal page complains about having no payment method you can still renew the free plan without .
    I have the original plan:

FREE PLAN
    500 Total Minutes & Texts + 100MB 4G LTE Data

Feedback Score
    FreeUP is ending the Rewards program - https://freeupmobile.com/rewards. For the time being the free plan is safe. I think it will be until FreeUP changes its name or decides to end the venture.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2