Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: will Tracfone unlock iPhone after 12 months if used with their eBay $49 1-year plan?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

will Tracfone unlock iPhone after 12 months if used with their eBay $49 1-year plan?

If I buy a Tracfonne iPhone 7 or 6s from Tracfone's own website, they will unlock it after 12 months of service.

However... does that apply if I use that phone with Tracfone's eBay $49 1-year plan?

This one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283448464240

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't see why not. It's 12 months of paid service, whichever way you paid for it. Make sure to use it for 12 months, don't transfer out early.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't see why not. It's 12 months of paid service, whichever way you paid for it.
    but I assume that $49 SIM card has to be active inside that iPhone for 12 months?

thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    but I assume that $49 SIM card has to be active inside that iPhone for 12 months?
    You buy the $49 deal and select "I'm not sure" for the carrier. They'll send 3 SIM cards (AT&T, T-mo, Verizon) and a separate time card. Scratch off the PIN on the time card and apply it to the iPhone. You don't have to use the 3 SIMS that they sent.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, G4+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm assuming that if you already have an active sim you could marry it with the iphone or any other phone then add the $10/500 minute add and get the same results.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    I'm assuming that if you already have an active sim you could marry it with the iphone or any other phone then add the $10/500 minute add and get the same results.
    You lost me.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Let's say the OP activated an AT&T SIM and used it in the iPhone. How would TF know that he used it with that iPhone as opposed to any other phone??

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you choose "don't know" for carrier and add the airtime and use the SIM that comes with the phone they should.

Don't activate the BYOP SIM that comes from eBay.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Let's say the OP activated an AT&T SIM and used it in the iPhone. How would TF know that he used it with that iPhone as opposed to any other phone??
    Not sure which poster or subject your post is for.

For purpose of unlocking, the iPhone and the SIM it came with must be in used for 12 months of paid service. You can buy time for it, or activate it with a transfer from another phone. Swapping a SIM (BYOP or from another TF-branded phone) into it doesn't qualify.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    They wouldn't. But you have to use and keep active, the SIM that comes with the phone (or is officially replaced by TF) or the time won't count for unlocking.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I purchased an iphone 7 last December from Tracfone, using the SIM that came with it, as the TF Chat rep said to do - I transferred service from an active SIM ( Verizon ) that had/ still has a lot of MTD. A few weeks later I added the $ 15 service card required to purchase along with purchase of the phone.
    It should be eligible for unlocking this December - will report when the time comes. Don't plan to move the phone to any other provider as I'll be using the current balance for awhile. But I'll figure out a way to test it when the time arrives.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    Don't plan to move the phone to any other provider as I'll be using the current balance for awhile. But I'll figure out a way to test it when the time arrives.
    After you got the phone unlocked, just put in a SIM from a company that's not a TF subcompany. If the phone doesn't balk, then it's unlocked.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You buy the $49 deal and select "I'm not sure" for the carrier. They'll send 3 SIM cards (AT&T, T-mo, Verizon) and a separate time card. Scratch off the PIN on the time card and apply it to the iPhone. You don't have to use the 3 SIMS that they sent.
    Tracfone's website has the reconditioned iPhone 6s Plus for $124 and it requires plan purchase.(lowest is the $20 30-day plan)

If I buy that phone, I can just activate the SIM that comes with it. Do I want to use up the $20 30-day plan that comes with it before adding the $49 deal from eBay to the SIM card? Or is it better to just throw away the $20?

I only need this phone as a spare, so I'll make just a few incoming/outgoing calls a month to keep it active... then ask Tracfone for the unlock code after 12 months.

Thanks for your help!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    Tracfone's website has the reconditioned iPhone 6s Plus for $124 and it requires plan purchase.(lowest is the $20 30-day plan)

If I buy that phone, I can just activate the SIM that comes with it. Do I want to use up the $20 30-day plan that comes with it before adding the $49 deal from eBay to the SIM card? Or is it better to just throw away the $20?
    You can use the $20 30-day plan with the iPhone at activation, then add the $49 deal before the 30 days are up. That will give you 13 months of service. You can also use the $20 plan for another phone on TF (if you have one), and use the $49 deal with the iPhone at activation.

Be aware that TF Unlocking Policy requires you to make the unlocking request when the phone is active or within 60 days after its service expired.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    After you got the phone unlocked, just put in a SIM from a company that's not a TF subcompany. If the phone doesn't balk, then it's unlocked.
    hpham - Silly question, but : does the non-TF SIM need to be currently active ? I have an old, non active Selectel wireless sim,
    as well as an old Boom!mobile Sim. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast