Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: will Tracfone unlock iPhone after 12 months if used with their eBay $49 1-year plan?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    hpham - Silly question, but : does the non-TF SIM need to be currently active ? I have an old, non active Selectel wireless sim,
    as well as an old Boom!mobile Sim. Thanks
    For the purpose of testing/triggering unlocking, the non-TF SIM doesn't need to be active. A locked phone will read the SIM card number, and balks if the carrier ID is not what it was programmed to accept.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You can use the $20 30-day plan with the iPhone at activation, then add the $49 deal before the 30 days are up. That will give you 13 months of service. You can also use the $20 plan for another phone on TF (if you have one), and use the $49 deal with the iPhone at activation.

Be aware that TF Unlocking Policy requires you to make the unlocking request when the phone is active or within 60 days after its service expired.
    I currently have two phones and both are running Tracfone/Verizon SIM cards.

I plan to buy a Tracfone iPhone 7 from Tracfone's website. I will use the SIM card that comes with it and add the eBay $49 365-day plan to it. I will use it on a regular basis.

While I'm doing that, can I insert one of my existing Tracfone/Verizon SIM cards into the new iPhone 7 and use it occasionally? Or will that break the 12 months of service somehow?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    While I'm doing that, can I insert one of my existing Tracfone/Verizon SIM cards into the new iPhone 7 and use it occasionally? Or will that break the 12 months of service somehow?
    I don't know how closely TF tracks/enforces the pairing of the original SIM with the IMEI of a TF-branded phone. If they do monitor it closely and detect that the phone is being used with another SIM, they might flag it as an interruption of service. I think it's best that you don't do it.

Feedback Score
    I agree with hpham that the SIM swap might be detected by the network. Users on other Tracfone companies have reported this.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Do your testing before you officially activate it for the 12 Months.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    For the purpose of testing/triggering unlocking, the non-TF SIM doesn't need to be active. A locked phone will read the SIM card number, and balks if the carrier ID is not what it was programmed to accept.
    Thank you. That helps a lot, makes it easier to test.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I currently have two phones and both are running Tracfone/Verizon SIM cards.

I plan to buy a Tracfone iPhone 7 from Tracfone's website. I will use the SIM card that comes with it and add the eBay $49 365-day plan to it. I will use it on a regular basis.

Thanks!
    If you do decide to buy a TF iPhone 7 ( I did ) , try a promo code “ TFSAVE40” or “TFSAVINGS40”, something close to that to save $100

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    If you do decide to buy a TF iPhone 7 ( I did ) , try a promo code “ TFSAVE40” or “TFSAVINGS40”, something close to that to save $100
    I have seen that code online.... but can't get Tracfone's website to accept it on the iPhone... (works on Samsung phones)

Feedback Score
    You buy the $49 deal and select "I'm not sure" for the carrier. They'll send 3 SIM cards (AT&T, T-mo, Verizon) and a separate time card. Scratch off the PIN on the time card and apply it to the iPhone. You don't have to use the 3 SIMS that they sent.
    I was about to order the $49/365-day ebay plan... but I noticed that the description said "SIM-card will be preloaded" and "No physical service plan card will be present"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283448464240

I already have a Tracfone iPhone that came with its own SIM card. I haven't activated it yet. How should I do this?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I was about to order the $49/365-day ebay plan... but I noticed that the description said "SIM-card will be preloaded" and "No physical service plan card will be present"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283448464240

I already have a Tracfone iPhone that came with its own SIM card. I haven't activated it yet. How should I do this?
    As previously recommended, when you make the purchase, for Choose Carrier, select "I'm not sure". They will send SIMs for all 3 carriers, and you don't have to use those SIMs. Because TF don't know which SIM you'll use, they will NOT pre-load the SIM; they'll send a time card instead, and you redeem that time card for your own phone/SIM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2