Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why is Verizon pre billing me on a post paid account?

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Why is Verizon pre billing me on a post paid account?

Can someone explain to me how Verizon's billing works?

I signed up for a post paid unlimited plan on July 13. It should be $77 (including fees and taxes) plus a $40 activation fee.

Well, now that the bill is ready, it is showing a charge (I am on autopay so this is what will be taken out of my checking account) of $190. The bill shows $112.58 for July 12-Aug 11 and then it shows $70 plus a $7 fee for the period of Aug 12-Sep11.

When I asked a Verizon rep about this, she said that the $70 plus fees is to prepay the next month.

What I do not understand is why I am being charged for 2 months (one of them being a month in advance) when I am on a postpaid account! The rep couldn't provide an answer for me, took about 15 minutes discussing it with a supervisor, came back and said she would waive the activation fee and take the Aug12-Sep11 portion off of this bill. That's all well and good but I am not sure whether or not I will run into the same situation next month and be billed not only for it, but for Sep-Oct as well. When I asked about this, she changed the subject.

So, can anyone tell me what I am missing here? Why is Verizon charging me for Aug12-Sep11 now (Aug 14) on a post paid account? Shouldn't they be doing that on or after Sep11 and only charging me now for July12-Aug11?
    Last edited by californiajay; 08-14-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There is some overlap since the bill will come out with a due date in the future. It isn't a true postpaid where you get billed on, say, September 16th for service of August 17-September 16, with a due date sometime in early October.

With Prepaid, the payment for the future month will have to be paid immediately at the start of the month.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    There is some overlap since the bill will come out with a due date in the future. It isn't a true postpaid where you get billed on, say, September 16th for service of August 17-September 16, with a due date sometime in early October.

With Prepaid, the payment for the future month will have to be paid immediately at the start of the month.
    Well that's what they are asking me to do! They are asking me to prepay for Aug-Sep. It's a postpaid account, not a prepaid one. The due date is Aug 27 which is prior to the end of this next month's period. I can see if they said it was due Sep 12 or something like that, but it will be deducted from my checking acct Aug 27, which is 2 weeks before the end of the period.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Why is Verizon pre billing me on a post paid account?

You’ll be fine once you pay the extra lump at the beginning (which you got waived).

That’s how most of the Carriers work anymore. They bill ahead for the next month. Then when you leave you don’t owe anything...

Warning if you cancel make sure you cancel just before the end of the bill cycle because the same thing holds true. You paid for the bill cycle ahead so there are no refunds or pro-rations for unused days. And if you enter the next bill cycle you already owe for all of it even if it is unused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The charges are correct. You were not billed for the first month of service previously (as with any post paid account). This is called a pro-rated charge. You are billed for the next month of service as normal. This is how postpaid service works. It seems that whoever helped you sign up for the plan didn't do a good job explaining it correctly.

The pro-rated charges only show on your first bill and not on your subsequent invoices.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    this is normal with all people you do business with cable satellite power ect ect ect not just cell

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's correct. They always bill a month in advance but it's actually not due until 8 days before that advance cycle ends. So you're really not that far ahead. The first month you ended up having service for about a month before you ever got billed. So this first bill is catching up for all that time you has service and hadn't paid, and then charging your normal month for the next month. By the time it's actually due you'll have passed all but 8 days you've paid for. It shouldn't be due until September 3rd.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for everyone's help. I think the part that I have a hard time understanding is in taking the notion of a "postpaid" account too literally. If I am prepaying the month, then it's not really postpaid at all, is it? Not sure why they call it as such.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cali_stud View Post
    this is normal with all people you do business with cable satellite power ect ect ect not just cell
    No, it's not. I don't pay for power in advance. They read the meter and I pay for what I used. I don't pay for groceries in advance, etc etc etc. It is true for all postpaid cellular companies that I know of.

They called it postpaid because you used to pay for charges which occurred in the previous month, like minutes or data. You still payed up front for the plan. Nowadays, not many people incur charges beyond the plan cost.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Thanks for everyone's help. I think the part that I have a hard time understanding is in taking the notion of a "postpaid" account too literally. If I am prepaying the month, then it's not really postpaid at all, is it? Not sure why they call it as such.
    It is post paid. My bill due on August 18th covers June 27th - July 26th. Which part of that is not post paid? Your billing period is July 12th- August 11th which should be due Sept 3rd( you don't state when the bill is actually due )And August 12th Sept 11th would be due October 3rd. Hence the 2 months. I bet if you look at your bill it's not actually due until October 3rd. So on your next bill which should then be due on Nov 3rd you'll end up have to pay for 2 months because you should have paid that the first bill.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    No, it's not. I don't pay for power in advance. They read the meter and I pay for what I used. I don't pay for groceries in advance, etc etc etc. It is true for all postpaid cellular companies that I know of.

They called it postpaid because you used to pay for charges which occurred in the previous month, like minutes or data. You still payed up front for the plan. Nowadays, not many people incur charges beyond the plan cost.
    May cable bill due on August 5th covers Jul 19th - August 18th. So I'm paying for 13 days of use I haven't used yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Another example of the postpaid part is if you travel out of the country. Lets assume Verizon since both prepaid and postpaid offer a travelpass to many countries including in Europe.

With Verizon Postpaid, you enable Travelpass, then maybe use it for 5 days on the trip. The billing for that will show up on the next bill, with a due date in the future.

With Prepaid, you can do it. But I expect that, since they don't bill you, it won't work unless you put the money on the account BEFORE you go. It will come off your balance that you pre-paid.

Another difference is if you change your plan in the middle of the month. Such as going to a plan with more or faster data. The next bill will have the prorated amount added to the bill for the remainder of the month, so the next bill will be bigger than normal and take a couple cycles to settle down. With prepaid, normally changing the plan in the middle of the month starts a new 30 day period, losing the rest of the month you hadn't used. This is a common problem on sites like ATT where someone not aware of this changes a plan a few months into the cycle, and ends up wasting money.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Translation: advance payment = equals Verizon loves money. Ping! Who didn't know that?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    Translation: advance payment = equals Verizon loves money. Ping! Who didn't know that?
    You do realize that this type of billing is the same for all post paid cellular service carriers and not just Verizon, don't you ?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    You do realize that this type of billing is the same for all post paid cellular service carriers and not just Verizon, don't you ?
    Some people just have the "All corporations are evil and are evil 100% of the time" worldview and nothing will change that. I ask the OP to tell exactly when the bill is due. Still hasn't replied. As I said earlier could be the bill isn't actually due until October, but until the OP decides to answer the question we won't know

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast