Thread: Possible to block incoming calls except for GV calls?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Possible to block incoming calls except for GV calls?

Long time GV user. I have a Moto G4. Lately, I've been getting a decent amount of SPAM calls on my actual carrier # which I never give out or use. Is there any way to block all incoming calls to my regular carrier # while still allowing all GV calls/texts forwarded to that #?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    10 yr plus GV user but in my experience, I don't think it is possible. What about having your carrier change your number? I recently had a similar problem with a carrier number and after the change I have only had one unwanted call/text. It was a text from someone with a number one digit off from my new number saying "hi, neighbor". I didn't respond and have had nothing else.

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have a similar situation. Ever since signing up with Tello and getting a new number, I get a ton of junk calls and texts. I asked Tello to change my number, but they refused. So I use the Hangouts app to answer incoming GV calls, and I set the ringtone for my phone app to be silent. That wasn't enough, so I told my phone to reject all calls, which on my phone is in Settings > Call > Call reject. I also had Tello disable voicemail and texts.

The other option I can think of is to set GV to send your GV number as caller ID, and then set your ringtone to silent with a custom ringtone for GV. But that would mean not getting meaningful caller ID info, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by southsound View Post
    10 yr plus GV user but in my experience, I don't think it is possible. What about having your carrier change your number? I recently had a similar problem with a carrier number and after the change I have only had one unwanted call/text. It was a text from someone with a number one digit off from my new number saying "hi, neighbor". I didn't respond and have had nothing else.
    The reasons why I don't want to change my carrier # is 1) The new # might have more SPAM calls. The current only recently has gotten maybe 1 a day for the past week from different #'s. Before that, hardly any. 2) I use my carrier # for Uber app. Yes, I could change it on the Uber app but I'd rather not.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As long as you've got a carrier number (i.e. a line of service) that you forward GV calls to (and is required for GV to do that and to function), anyone else in the world can call that carrier number, either intentionally or by accident, for good or bad purposes.

You'd have to have a carrier that had a filter that you could specify would only allow the passing of calls from just one caller, that being Google Voice. This is generically referred to as a "white list".

Then again, this doesn't keep some entity from calling your GV number either by accident or in an organized way going down a consecutive list of numbers.

The only solution to spam calls or texts is to either up the level of integrity in the world (fat chance), or have white list filters at any possible entrance point of a call, and some level of flexibility in how you can configure it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think whacker's final sentence is exactly correct. The only truly effective way to deal with unwanted incoming calls and/or sms is to implement a blanket blacklist coupled with an overiding whitelist. I have looked for a provider (carrier or MVNO) that will provide such a service for incoming sms, without success.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You might try YouMail (free account). It has a feature where it will block any number not in your address book. So, don't upload your address book and all cell calls will be blocked with a 'not in service' message. Just make sure you open the account with your cell number. Put your GV number in your address book and make sure you set up GV to show GV Number for calls and you should be golden. Hopefully it works for you.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, several flip phones
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, Red Pocket AT&V
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Since you have all the wanted calls going to GV, simply install Hangouts or the GV app and don't forward GV calls to your cell number. That way you'll receive all the GV calls via the apps over your cell data plan. You can then turn off the ringer for the cell number. And calls this way don't burn much data.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. If I went the YouMail route and just whitelisted my GV # would that mean though that I would have to change my GV settings for incoming calls to display only my GV# and not the caller's #?