Thread: Xfinity (Comcast) Mobile- lack of government alerts! Yikes

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Xfinity (Comcast) Mobile- lack of government alerts! Yikes

So I used to be a Verizon customer for many years. Xfinity mobile is a good deal in my case. I don't use a lot of mobile data -- mostly wifi. Anyway, I switched like 6 months ago to Xfinity mobile (and so did my wife). Since they re-sell Verizon network, the coverage has been the same. Overall the experience has been good.

There's a fire near my home town at the moment. It started as a grass fire than burned 50 acres. We don't really know how dangerous yet since it isn't out yet. My work is a few miles away. Everyone at work (on Verizon and ATT) got the emergency alert WEA message except me. I checked, and my iPhone XS has all alerts including Amber alerts turned on. Hm. Checked with wife (we have same employer) -- she also did not receive.

So I called Xfinity customer service. They indicate that their system does not relay any government alerts.

Anyway, speaking for myself, any money saved on xfinity mobile is useless to me if the fire comes my way at night, and I miss a critical alert asking me to evacuate. And that's exactly the message I missed at work- an emergency and mandatory evacuation notice for the area.

-Dan

PS: I do not know if one can purchase like a weather radio with WEA support that will kick on for emergency event. i.e. I don't want to listen to it, I just want it to squawk when the need be.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    ......PS: I do not know if one can purchase like a weather radio with WEA support that will kick on for emergency event. i.e. I don't want to listen to it, I just want it to squawk when the need be.
    I don't know about radios, etc for Amber alerts, etc. but we have one of those auto alerting weather radios and it was such a PITA that we turned it off. It would alert over and over again every time a front went through. The alert area covers several counties and as the front passed each area would receive thunderstorm and tornado watches and warnings. The boy cried "Wolf!" so many times we just unplugged it.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I appreciate the comments about the weather radio alternative (or as you say lack-thereof)-- at least in terms of some practical use.

I still believe my WEA alerts are broken at least in my area. But I will share what I've learned:
    - Someone posted that the WEA alerts can work on xfinity mobile, or they do in other parts of the US. So perhaps I'm just seeing a technical glitch in my area. So that's hopeful. It appears that xfinity mobiles tech support is all off-shore, so that makes it unusually difficult to report a local or regional issue. The person I'm speaking with outside the USA likely has no idea where I am (western oregon) and no idea how to report it. Just the same I did call repeatedly including during daytime hours to no avail. Absolutely pathetic customer service (total inability to deal with this type of problem).
    - One of my co-workers pointed me at a local county application that will supposedly deliver alerts. I also signed up on the county's website to receive related text messages. So this may be an option for some folks. I can't really test until the next severe weather.

-Dan

PS: If you care. My first call to xfinity CS was at around 6pm pacific time. Routed over seas. Spoke with a pleasant woman who told me directly xfinity does not and cannot support any government alerts. That simply sounded wrong. I called back during daytime, about 9:30am on a weekday and waited on hold for 35 minutes to reach a human. The over seas person (another woman not that it matters), said I should be getting life-safety government alerts. When I told her I agreed, and that's why I am calling and they are not working, she just reiterated that they should work. I asked for a supervisor (and actually asked for USA agent since this is a regional issue). After long hold, was told no US agents are available even during daytime hours now, and I would be transferred to supervisor. The man who answered had the worst case of I don't care I've recently dealt with. Every word seemed to have the attitude and subtext- if you don't like what we offer, go somewhere else. No offer to help or followup was given. I got tired of the stupidity and we ended the call.