Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Band 12 vs. Band 71 Range?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Band 12 vs. Band 71 Range?

Hello!

Trying to figure out how much further band 71 travels compares to band 12? Seeing the upgrades starting near me and it seems like it's not much of a huge difference at the moment, but still something.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by joshlmuldoon View Post
    Hello!

Trying to figure out how much further band 71 travels compares to band 12? Seeing the upgrades starting near me and it seems like it's not much of a huge difference at the moment, but still something.

Well band 71 in most places is at least 10 megahertz compared to 5 megahertz for band 12. Plus band 71 is Nationwide. Obviously the TV stations have to be cleared out of the way but once that happens it'll be deployable Nationwide. Band 12 is only in certain areas of the country. Those are the main differences.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    Well band 71 in most places is at least 10 megahertz compared to 5 megahertz for band 12. Plus band 71 is Nationwide. Obviously the TV stations have to be cleared out of the way but once that happens it'll be deployable Nationwide. Band 12 is only in certain areas of the country. Those are the main differences.

Great, thanks for the info!

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Great, thanks for the info!

You're very welcome my friend and I am glad to have helped you.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Range is close enough to be the same.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'd expect range to be similar, if not the same. Actual use will depend on how much traffic is on one vs. the other. I.e. a saturated 5MHz on B12 may drop out of service due to noise/traffic vs. a lower use 10MHz of B71.
    On another note... I've seen areas here where B12/71 are on the same physical (wide) panel. They will have the same azimuth.
    I've put my LG G7 on B71 only when visiting parts of LA, and the range is good... several miles... of course, there is no interference from closer towers .. because they don't have B71 yet.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Range is close enough to be the same.
    Range would be similar but there is huge difference between 5X5 band 12 and 10X10, 15X15, 20X20 and in some areas 25X25 band 71

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In general the low bands (600-900mhz) bands like 5, 12, 13, 71, etc. will have fairly similar range. The 1700-2100 (band 2, band 4, etc.) and the PCS G-H will have similar range to each other. The 2500mhz might be enough higher to be a bit shorter range, and if they're using 5ghz LAA that'll be shorter. The microwave band (24 and 28ghz) will be particularly short, it's effectively line of site plus whatever signals reflect off various objects (the microwave band apparently is strongly prone to reflections, and the 5G spec takes full advantage of that to extend it's range somewhat.)

But, as others say, the band 71 will be nice anyway since it's nationwide (range doesn't have to be limited in some cases to stay inside a license boundary), and adds low-band capacity (which can't hurt; VZW's band 13 is 10mhz and, to put it kindly, it is often quite busy ).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Down here in SoCal, I ran a few tests... 5x5 B12 gave me 40Mbps/10Mbps, B2 10x10 gave me 71Mbps/26Mbps, B4 20x20 gave me 143Mbps/55Mbps. Running with CA B2/B4 I got 212Mbps/24Mbps. I haven't seen any area yet with B71 having more than 10x10 deployed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Range would be similar but there is huge difference between 5X5 band 12 and 10X10, 15X15, 20X20 and in some areas 25X25 band 71
    Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Down here in SoCal, I ran a few tests... 5x5 B12 gave me 40Mbps/10Mbps, B2 10x10 gave me 71Mbps/26Mbps, B4 20x20 gave me 143Mbps/55Mbps. Running with CA B2/B4 I got 212Mbps/24Mbps. I haven't seen any area yet with B71 having more than 10x10 deployed.

Doesn't matter what they have deployed is what they CAN deploy. You think T-Mobile is just going to not use all their spectrum? "hey we got 25X25 but let's only deploy 10X10 for no reason whatsoever"

Also how are you testing on just one specific band? I doubt you were testing band 12 alone. There was probably some CA involved there.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    .....Also how are you testing on just one specific band? I doubt you were testing band 12 alone. There was probably some CA involved there.
    Some, if not all, Samsung phones allow the user to lock the phone in a particular band and mode.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    When I tested on band 12... I forced my phone to band 12 only. All test were run on the same site. Similarly.... TMobilebhas 15x15 B71 but only 10x10 deployed. B2 has 15x15 as well, but 5x5 is used for GSM / WCDMA.

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hello!

I have property about 4 miles west of the tower below.

It has ATT band 5 LTE on top of the tower and T-Mobile band 71 LTE about 20 feet lower.

At my property location with my S7 Edge I get ~ -110dBm on ATT band 5 LTE.

With my J3 Star I get ~ -120dBm on T-Mobile band 71 LTE.

I'm guessing T-Mobile is not able to operate band 71 at "full power" yet because this area still has TV stations on the air in the band.

If that's not the case, I'm not sure how a signal over 200 MHz lower would not yield better signal strength at my location...

Hman

Name:  G_Tmo.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  61.8 KB

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I'd expect range to be similar, if not the same. Actual use will depend on how much traffic is on one vs. the other. I.e. a saturated 5MHz on B12 may drop out of service due to noise/traffic vs. a lower use 10MHz of B71.
    On another note... I've seen areas here where B12/71 are on the same physical (wide) panel. They will have the same azimuth.
    I've put my LG G7 on B71 only when visiting parts of LA, and the range is good... several miles... of course, there is no interference from closer towers .. because they don't have B71 yet.
    Exactly this, as the noise floor increases due to more activity on the tower you'll get less of a usable signal. I actually see this in practice every day at the cottage. Dry and clear or humid and cloudy, from the hours of about 8am until 11pm there is no usable signal. Only outside those hours is when data actually starts flowing. We're on the fringe of coverage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Exactly this, as the noise floor increases due to more activity on the tower you'll get less of a usable signal. I actually see this in practice every day at the cottage. Dry and clear or humid and cloudy, from the hours of about 8am until 11pm there is no usable signal. Only outside those hours is when data actually starts flowing. We're on the fringe of coverage.
    Cell breathing and capacity (spectrum and/or backhaul) all can cause issues.
    No backhaul = more congestion / retries on the spectrum side.
    No spectrum = lots of noise / no throughput and degraded signal (SINR)
    In Estes Park, CO, I had effectively that - 0.74Mbps down, 0Mbps up, and 98% packet loss.
    This was with 3 bars (-104dBm). Noise was high.
    Data was useless, calls to T-Mobile CS (611) failed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast