Thread: Trouble porting number from Red Pocket to AT&T Prepaid

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Trouble porting number from Red Pocket to AT&T Prepaid

Hello! Yesterday I tried signing up for AT&T Prepaid service (I am trying to get the 8 Gb / month for $25 deal) but when I get to the step where they have you check your existing phone number to see if it can be ported, it said it could not be ported. I was pretty surprised by this, and I am wondering if there is a way to get around this. Currently the number is with Red Pocket on their GSMA (AT&T) network, and I have the account number and PIN for my line (which the AT&T site never asked for).

Getting a new phone number is not a good option for me, and I if I can't port the number over I'll just sign up for another year of Red Pocket. For what it's worth the Sprint number porting site (my wife and daughter are switching to Sprint's Kickstart plan) said there would be no problem porting my number to Sprint so I don't think there is a problem on Red Pocket's end.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!

Zack

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Trouble porting number from Red Pocket to AT&T Prepaid

Call the ATT port activation center at (888) 898-7685‬. They’re really good and should be able to help.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thank you! I really appreciate this. I'll give them a call.

Zack

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi! I figured I would post an update for the benefit of anyone who may have the same issue I am having. Based on the advice from glowblue I called up the AT&T port activation center. The woman I spoke to looked up my number and told me there would be no problem porting the number to AT&T Prepaid, but said I would have to go to an AT&T store to make it happen rather than doing it online. I just went to the AT&T store, and the salesman told me that he had encountered this problem before and that there was nothing that the store could do.

Zack

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultraspectral View Post
    Hi! I figured I would post an update for the benefit of anyone who may have the same issue I am having. Based on the advice from glowblue I called up the AT&T port activation center. The woman I spoke to looked up my number and told me there would be no problem porting the number to AT&T Prepaid, but said I would have to go to an AT&T store to make it happen rather than doing it online. I just went to the AT&T store, and the salesman told me that he had encountered this problem before and that there was nothing that the store could do.

Zack
    Why can’t you let the PAC handle it over the phone? Based on mine and others experience - my vote goes to the PAC and not some salesman. When you call the PAC they do it over the phone literally while you are on the phone with them. If have another line to call from you can watch it happen in real time and test it while they are on the phone.

I ported 4 lines flawlessly even while ATT called my other carrier to verify the port with me on the phone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree that would have been very nice! After posting this message I decided to try the online signup one more time just in case the woman in the porting department changed the status of my number. It didn't work, but I did notice a small live chat icon on the bottom so I tried it. The very pleasant and helpful live chat person spent close to an hour with me and managed to figure out a solution, which is to purchase the plan I wanted and indicate that I would like a new number. Once the SIM card arrives I need to call up a 1-800 number and tell them to port my old number over to the line rather than use the new number that they gave me. According to her the online system can't tell that I am on Red Pocket rather than AT&T, which is why the website says the number can't be ported. It sure would be nice if they fixed this...

Thanks again for your help!

Zack

Quote Originally Posted by glowblue View Post
    Why can’t you let the PAC handle it over the phone? Based on mine and others experience - my vote goes to the PAC and not some salesman. When you call the PAC they do it over the phone literally while you are on the phone with them. If have another line to call from you can watch it happen in real time and test it while they are on the phone.

I ported 4 lines flawlessly even while ATT called my other carrier to verify the port with me on the phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I saw on another site someone trying to do something similar, though from Straight Talk. Likely because their phone was on the ATT network, and they wanted the promo. I'll post this link there.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree that would have been very nice! After posting this message I decided to try the online signup one more time just in case the woman in the porting department changed the status of my number. It didn't work, but I did notice a small live chat icon on the bottom so I tried it. The very pleasant and helpful live chat person spent close to an hour with me and managed to figure out a solution, which is to purchase the plan I wanted and indicate that I would like a new number. Once the SIM card arrives I need to call up a 1-800 number and tell them to port my old number over to the line rather than use the new number that they gave me. According to her the online system can't tell that I am on Red Pocket rather than AT&T, which is why the website says the number can't be ported. It sure would be nice if they fixed this...

Thanks again for your help!

Zack
    Understood - that process should work.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Once the SIM card arrives I need to call up a 1-800 number and tell them to port my old number over to the line rather than use the new number that they gave me.
    When the SIM arrives please post again in this thread as to whether the process worked as indicated.