Thread: Google Has Been Sharing Your Data with Carriers

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Post Google Has Been Sharing Your Data with Carriers

Name:  google-mni.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  37.9 KB

An exclusive report from Reuters this morning reveals that for the past two years Google was offering anonymized user data to carriers around the world. The good news is that they've stopped; the bad news is that they did it at all, especially without their users' express consent.

From the source:

Google’s Mobile Network Insights service, which had launched in March 2017, was essentially a map showing carriers signal strengths and connection speeds they were delivering in each area.

The service was provided free to carriers and vendors that helped them manage operations. The data came from devices running Google’s Android operating system, which is on about 75% of the world’s smartphones, making it a valuable resource for the industry.

It used data only from users who had opted into sharing location history and usage and diagnostics with Google. The data were aggregated, meaning they did not explicitly link any information to any individual phone user. It included data relating to a carrier’s own service and that of competitors, which were not identified by name.

Nevertheless, Google shut down the service in April due to concerns about data privacy, four people with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
    For the record, Facebook still offers a similar service to carriers, and in the USA carriers themselves have only recently stopped selling customer location data to third parties.

Source: Reuters via reddit
    Image source: Android Police
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    Isn't anonymized just a big yawn comparatively speaking?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It has been studied and shown that “anonymized “ data can be used with other information to identify individuals with alarming accuracy. Google is disgusting. Privacy is not taking my data and Selling it to the highest bidder , it is me not allowing them to have it period.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    One more good reason to opt out of everything and never allow the Facebook app on any device.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    I don't care about Google knowing where I am. I actually share location setting w. wife (and vice versa) so we now where each other is. Google does remind us, every month or two, that data is being shared.