Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: is there a good flip phone or dumbphone that can work with Tracfone/Verizon SIM card?

Feedback Score
    I talked to a different chat rep and they said I could try to reactivate my Cymbal T SIM. I had given the previous rep my SIM not the IMEI so the system didn't recognize it. I asked if it would get VoLTE and they said it might not reactivate if it doesn't do VoLTE.

I was thinking I could get a free with plan phone and if the Cymbal won't work then try the free phone. Maybe the Alcatel My Flip

Sent from my Z353VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Ok so I opened a chat window and tried to transfer my current TF service to the Cymbal. They said it could no longer be used on TF. I asked if it could be unlocked and he said yes but it could only be used on VZ towers. Aren't there other services that use CDMA?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Ok so I opened a chat window and tried to transfer my current TF service to the Cymbal. They said it could no longer be used on TF. I asked if it could be unlocked and he said yes but it could only be used on VZ towers. Aren't there other services that use CDMA?
    CDMA also includes Sprint.

But unless it's unlocked, that phone was only ever able to be used on TF.

And if it's not VoLTE compatible, it won't be able to be activated on the Vzw network.

The only hope to use it on TF Vzw would be if you could do a SIM swap with an already activated TF Vzw SIM.

Feedback Score
    Would there be any CDMA MVNOs that might let the Cymbal be activated? But really I wanted to use it on TF.

I still may be able to get a SIM holder or adapter that will allow me to slip my Samsung nano card into it.

Nothing wrong with the Luna Pro, I like it but wanted a flip too. I'm often outdoors each day and a flip works well outside. The good thing is I can use the Cymbal as a handset and for messaging with Hangouts as long as I'm within WiFi range of the building.

I guess I am left with the Alcatel My Flip if I want an activated TF flip. I was surprised it has WiFi according to some reviews, but the reviews in general were uninviting. Lot of bad reviews for My Flip on Walmart site but more positive on Best Buy site.

If I get it, I'll try to buy the free with plan phone.

If I activated with a transfer of my current TF number/service from my Luna Pro, would i risk losing plan minutes or service? I don't need another telephone number. If the My Flip turned out to be no-go then I'd like to transfer back to the Luna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    CDMA also includes Sprint.

But unless it's unlocked, that phone was only ever able to be used on TF.

And if it's not VoLTE compatible, it won't be able to be activated on the Vzw network.

The only hope to use it on TF Vzw would be if you could do a SIM swap with an already activated TF Vzw SIM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    If the Cymbal is not VoLTE compatible, it won't be able to be activated on the Vzw network. If it's not Sprint whitelisted, which it most likely isn't, it can't be activated on the Sprint network.

There's always a small chance of something going wrong, but most likely there will be no problem transferring service.

Feedback Score
    I'm sorry the Cymbal can't be reactivated, only came out in 2016 so it's weird it can't be given it's 4g LTE. I'll probably just use it on Wifi with Hangouts dialer.

Not sure about the Alcatel My Flip. My last Alcatel flip, the Virgin Mobile Speakeasy was horrific. Terrible keypad, texting was bad enough to begin with but then after a software "update" texting no longer even marginally functioned. It looked similar to the My Flip as far as keypad & screen. Thought I'd like it but not at all.

I guess unless I can find a more expensive flip similar to the Dura the only flips available will be designed to make people buy smartphones.

I'll probably try the My Flip. I like the look of the free ZTE flip better but I think I the My Flip is probably better. I'd try both if I needed two new phones, just to see which I like better.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If the Cymbal is not VoLTE compatible, it won't be able to be activated on the Vzw network. If it's not Sprint whitelisted, which it most likely isn't, it can't be activated on the Sprint network.

There's always a small chance of something going wrong, but most likely there will be no problem transferring service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I'll probably try the My Flip. I like the look of the free ZTE flip better but I think I the My Flip is probably better. I'd try both if I needed two new phones, just to see which I like better.
    If by the ZTE you mean the Z233VL I'd give it a thumbs down vs the My Flip. I tried both. The ZTE had bad volume (low), no wifi and more a pain to navigate. The My Flip even though it seems flimsier then the ZTE has been sturdy and reliable. Call quality is great and wifi or even data solid. You can bookmark your internet sites in the browser and even Chrome. Also a decent FM radio. Only downside is it needs charged more then desirable. For $20, right now I don't know of any out there better for what it is.
    They're not android, and you'll be toggling keys to navigate and texting is the old style multi-hit number key whatever it was called so don't expect doing quick texting or internet searches like a smart. But the My Flip is a cheap solid reliable basic flip "phone" with some bells and whistles when you need them. You can spend more and likely get better, but I'm talking for a $20 basic phone.
    Note I'm pretty sure you could also pop a TF ATT SIM in it if you ever wanted to change networks. Can't do that with the ZTE.
    It's LTE/WCDMA/GSM.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Note I'm pretty sure you could also pop a TF ATT SIM in it if you ever wanted to change networks. Can't do that with the ZTE.
    It's LTE/WCDMA/GSM.
    Yes you can. I've used a trac at&t and t-mobile sim in mine with no problems.
    Need a Tello referral? Get $10 when you sign up. https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3RNHB4D

Feedback Score
    Thanks much for the useful info, rpz1 & cellular dude.

I've had AT&T based TF service & could put my H20 Wireless SIM in the phone and it worked. That is a surprise the My Flip will do it since I thought TF flips were SIM locked & wouldn't accept any other.

My Luna Pro is CDMA so no SIM switching possible but I guess I shouldn't have trouble transferring service. The number was first with VM (Sprint?), then AT&T, now VZ TF.

If WiFi works well on the My Flip, question: can mobile data be turned off and just use Wifi ? Since most smartphones do that I guess it qualifies as a dumb question.

Really I mostly don't need to do much browsing with the flip, I have other phones more suited to that.

I think I will try the My Flip free with plan. At least if I end up with a bad one like some of the people in the reviews it's free and buying the minutes should survive the transfer back to my other phone.

Basically I just want it for a pocket callbox and pocket watch with alarm reminder.

Feedback Score
    Questions:

Can the My Flip use either the smartphone plan cards or the regular plan cards, and does the 49.99 for a year's service offer show up when a plan card is put in the cart?

How about the ZTE z233? Smartphone only cards?

It's too bad the z233 isn't more like the older AT&T z222 flip which is a very compact soundly made phone.

I looked at the listings on the TF website and the My Flip was listed as "LTE" on one (reconditioned?). I didn't see GSM. I know it's DL & could do GSM or CDMA but I guess the SIM determines which service it uses.

If mine came with a CDMA SIM would I be able to use it to test in my CDMA ZTE Cymbal T?

How about the z233 SiM? It's CDMA.

https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tr...-reconditioned

https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tr...-reconditioned

Feedback Score
    @WheelieBoot:
    I'll try to answer some questions on the MyFlip based on my experience.

I don't know about TF plans. Their difference between the smartphone and regular plans other then what you get TTD. I have mine on PagePlus PayGo.

Mine was a TF MyFlip bought at Best Buy that I activated on PP with the SIM that came in it. (Vzw TF SIM). I've since moved that SIM to a Moto E4 and have a TF BYOP SIM in the My Flip which was in the 233 during testing. All just to move phone numbers around. Never had any issues. I think the SIM lock just means using a TF SIM. Don't know how they keep track of the phone unlock period. Don't know if a H2O SIM would work.

The My Flip is cdma-less. Only LTE/WCDMA/GSM. SIM determines that. Don't know how it handles roaming.

You don't need data on for wifi. I don't know how it reacts if both are on like a smartphone would pick. You don't need data on for VoLTE.
    But I did find that if you turn "data saver" on, you won't have calls (VoLTE). It not only disables Bluetooth but VoLTE too.

It's a nano SIM, I don't recall what your Cymbal T is. I don't recall what the ZTE233 had. Originally used a BYOP SIM in it. May have been micro and I punched the nano out when I moved it to the My Flip.

Never used the clock alarm so don't know any issues there.

Mine's just a back up, not a daily driver. Was looking for a basic flip to replace my mother's who only rarely uses it for long distance.
    Got the 233 on Ebay for $10 and the MyFlip at BB black Friday for $12. Basically throw away's if I didn't like them.

Feedback Score
    rpz1, Thanks for taking time to cover all the good info on the flips.

My Cymbal T has the size SIM next up from nano. Micro, I guess it's called.

I think I could live with the My Flip as just a basic callbox. I wouldn't use it for texting. With the $15 smartphone card & the year service add on for 49.99 it'd be cheap to keep. I think the $15 plan has 500 talk minutes, 500 messages and 500 mb data. That's what I put on my Luna Pro.

Feedback Score
    I just picked up A405DL for my Mom. She wanted a simple flip phone.

Can I take her BYOP Verizon SIM from iPhone SE and just swap into this phone? It is nano, and this phone takes that size.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It will swap over, but if you ever need support, you will need to keep the iPhone off to the side since in their support system, they link the phone's IMEI to the SIM.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking if my Cymbal T's IMEI is no longer able to be recognized in TF's system maybe I could check it on the BYOP system and when I did, it didn't give any error messages. It next asked if I wanted to keep my phone # and I said no, then it went to ask my zip code. I closed the window at that point because I was afraid it would assign a telephone number.

I also tried an unactivated TMFL micro SIM in it and on restart, it immediately went to the activation screen, saying "wait while we activate your new phone..." so I shut it down.

I've put an unactivated BYOP nano SIM in another phone (US215 US Cellular LG K8) and it didn't start the "let's activate" screen. It didn't reject it either. Why did the SIM go to activation in the Cymbal? Because it's a VZ service TF?

If I could have activated on BYOP, I've heard the 49.99/year service offer doesn't pop up when buying airtime. That's why I prefer TF branded phones. The Cymbal was TMFL but with the TMFL SIM kit, should get TMFL anyway.

If TF wouldn't reactivate my Cymbal, I suspect BYOP would glitch during activation anyway (rejected by VZ system?) even though the IMEI wasn't rejected by the compatibility checker.

I found out that the SIM on the z353vl comes out easily if I push down on a plastic tab with tweezers, the tab locks it in place.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast