Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: After New AT&T Rural Tower has been Built, how long before Service is Available?

Feedback Score

After New AT&T Rural Tower has been Built, how long before Service is Available?

AT&T had a new tower built in my very small rural community (part of the Firstnet initiative). The tower and lights were completed about 3 months ago. But there is no equipment mounted on the tower. How long does the process usually take before service is available?

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Unknown, I've seen sites sit empty for over a year before AT&T put equipment up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $80.99/month

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrobe View Post
    AT&T had a new tower built in my very small rural community (part of the Firstnet initiative). The tower and lights were completed about 3 months ago. But there is no equipment mounted on the tower. How long does the process usually take before service is available?

Thanks.
    They built a new site north of me back in early spring. It received panels and Enet in early July (2 months after the site was put up) but hasn't gone live yet as of 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking 6 months to a year from the time its put up and is integrated into their system before its online. It could take longer if there are issues for whatever reason.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    A new ATT tower was put up in Manassas, VA about 3 months ago. The panels were finally installed about 3 weeks ago & the site was up & running within a week.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    I have seen several towers in NC and SC that have been up so long that it would have to be cleared to begin to put equipment in. I pass them every time I go to the beach and I know I’ve seen them for at least 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrobe View Post

Thanks.
    I think it also the current coverage situation plays into it. AT&T is known to turn on a tower at very low power and very slowly turn it up while they monitor interference. If their is currently no coverage at all then they may turn it on quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Rural area in southern VA. Terrible signal in the area where the tower was built almost two years ago. Closest towers are 7-10 miles in 3 different directions. The tower fills in a gap perfectly. Still nothing on it yet...fiber isn't a problem. The fiber they need to tap is there already too.

Feedback Score
    NE MS here. There is a tower that has sat with only lights for 5 years. They started working on it a week ago. Hopefully, things will move quickly now.

Device(s)
    V3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How do you know it's an AT&T tower? AT&T has pretty much gotten out of the business of owning towers and has sold off majority of them to companies like Crown Castle & American Tower then just leasing space. My guess is the tower is owned by a third party and may be waiting for AT&T to install on it. With the digital TV repack going on right now, tower crews are scarce. Delay could be related to anything from crew availability to permitting to executing leases with ATT and the like.

Feedback Score
    The tower is actually built by FTC Tower. By internet sleuthing I have deduced that the large number of towers being built in this rural state in the last year by this company are part of the AT&T Firstnet program.

Anyway they have added antennas to the tower. I didn't take a picture, but it looks something like this one:
    http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/cs...ell-towers.jpg

Does this style of antenna tell you anything? Frequency band or whatever.

Since the antenna has been added any thought as to how long before customers can receive service?

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Do they have an electric meter? What's marked next to the meter?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

After New AT&T Rural Tower has been Built, how long before Service is Available?

195’ brand new AT&T cell site in Milton DE

It wasn’t turned on yet. Still had no service I’m the area. Black hole for all 4 carriers. AT&T has two cell sites both 2 miles away but it just doesn’t quite reach here. First time I’ve seen a 2 panel per sector setup around here.

Sussex County is quite rural and the cell reception blows. AT&T has the most sites though Verizon is actively building. Sprint did a big build with Nextel conversions and has good voice coverage but weak lte reception. Three new AT&T sites coming.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...cations/177406
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post

195’ brand new AT&T cell site in Milton DE

It wasn’t turned on yet. Still had no service I’m the area. Black hole for all 4 carriers. AT&T has two cell sites both 2 miles away but it just doesn’t quite reach here. First time I’ve seen a 2 panel per sector setup around here.

Sussex County is quite rural and the cell reception blows. AT&T has the most sites though Verizon is actively building. Sprint did a big build with Nextel conversions and has good voice coverage but weak lte reception. Three new AT&T sites coming.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...cations/177406
    Don't know you saw/heard this but AT&T is putting up a tower at Buttonwood Beach here in Cecil County. They wanted on in Chesapeake City but it got shot down.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    Don't know you saw/heard this but AT&T is putting up a tower at Buttonwood Beach here in Cecil County. They wanted on in Chesapeake City but it got shot down.
    No, I haven't seen that. Googled it just now in the Whig though, quite stupid it was denied after originally being OK'ed.

It's is a shame about Chesapeake City, because my phone is more or less a brick in the town itself. Which is frustrating because there is a massive radio tower just outside town that Verizon, Sprint and T-MObile use at appoxiamtely 192 Boat Road. I hope AT&T considers that site. Frankly some of these areas would be fine with 1-3 small cells too, I'd like to see VZ/AT&T use some more rural small cells in the area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast