Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Survey:What Smartphone will you be buying this summer or fall 2019

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    I’m pondering selling my XS Max while it will still get $800-900 since it’s 256gb. Then buying the new iPhone next month.
    More like 600 to 700 for the max just sold one 2 months ago, And now that the new iPhone will be out soon the value has dropped people will be selling there phones left and right

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    got the note 10 plus and that's it for the year I am don't have interest in the new iPhone or anything else

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    So having done the math, it seems flagships depreciate about $400 per year give or take.

If I paid $1249 for my Xs Max, and use it for 3 years and STILL am able to get something for trade in then to me this is the best scenario.

I'll have used up all the value in my phone, and then if I can get like let's say $400 in 2021 for my Xs Max... I'm the real winner as that's $1600 in value, or in other words MORE than what I paid.

This seems like the best path forward to me. I'm done with upgrading yearly, and carrier or any sort of phone financing.

The New T-Mobile
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    So having done the math, it seems flagships depreciate about $400 per year give or take.

If I paid $1249 for my Xs Max, and use it for 3 years and STILL am able to get something for trade in then to me this is the best scenario.

I'll have used up all the value in my phone, and then if I can get like let's say $400 in 2021 for my Xs Max... I'm the real winner as that's $1600 in value, or in other words MORE than what I paid.

This seems like the best path forward to me. I'm done with upgrading yearly, and carrier or any sort of phone financing.

The New T-Mobile
    This isn't 2013 when yearly phone upgrades brought drastic changes. Besides, prices weren't silly.

I'm willing to bet phone makers know that new phone sales are about to drop off the cliff so they price the crap out of phones to cash in while they can. Yearly upgrades at 2019 is a great way to buy the same product for a higher price.

Feedback Score
    H. Or maybe last years model.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Phones are an interesting commodity, since they're (at least until recently!) one of the few things that almost everyone could afford the "best", as opposed to say, cars, clothes, etc. If you have the latest top of line iPhone or Galaxy, you can be sure no one else on the planet has a better smartphone than you do.

Honestly, I'm not sure why so many of us who are willing to make a quality vs. value compromise about everything else in our lives, suddenly lose it over the latest smartphone, but whatever floats our respective boats, I guess...

I find the whole idea of a $1000-1200 smartphone ludicrous, and just get by with whatever mid range phone doesn't p*ss me off. In recent years, that's usually been a Moto G, though this year I opted for a Moto X4 since it was on clearance for $250, to get NFC/Google Pay, (which I almost never use. In retrospect, I should've bought a G7 Power for band 71 and two-day battery!). I'll probably get two years out of this device before I find something I need the X4 to do that it can't.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post

The New T-Mobile
    Thank you for the reminder. Because of your post.. I started thinking and.. sold my bottom 3 iphones this week before the next iphone... iphone se at 150, iphone 7 plus at 420 and iphone x at 600 (surprisingly iphone x sold within 30 minutes of posting it in craigslist.. maybe i sold it too cheap)
    so i will probably get 2 new 2019 xr.. and will sport an android for now for me.. at least until i know if its true that apple is working in an SE replacement. ... but i already miss my iphone... lol.. android is fine, but is no ios.

Feedback Score
    I bought an S10+ today after selling two 512GB XS Max phones for $900 each over the past two weeks, the last one sold Thursday. Took a few weeks to sell the first one but finally it sold. The second one sold in a week so I know the $900 price was perfect for the 512GB models.

I'm skipping the iPhone this year. I'll keep using my Note 10+ and my S10+.
    Last edited by hexonxonx; 09-06-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A phone with with good RF sensitivity, all band support, good camera(s), no notch, no assistant and for a reasonable price is what I am waiting for. Wish me luck.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by piquae View Post
    A phone with with good RF sensitivity
    Yes but the problem is how do you know how good the RF sensitivity is on a phone? Too bad there's no one that actually tests phones for something so important.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Yes but the problem is how do you know how good the RF sensitivity is on a phone? Too bad there's no one that actually tests phones for something so important.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app
    It's because it is difficult to do reliably. Part of it is that the hardware alone does not determine how well the radios work, it can also depend on if the carrier supports the phone, such as how well optimized the carrier information is for that phone and if the carrier fully supports the phone (such as AT&T basically only providing full software support for their branded phones). There can also be variation in how different radios pick up different frequencies. Last, there can often be variations between the same phones, depending on build quality, where an antenna may not be placed correctly. It is interesting, reading on forums for different phones, how a person will claim he has great reception on his phone while, someone with the same model will complain about horrible reception.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    It's because it is difficult to do reliably.
    When I grab my phone the received signal drops by as much as 10 dB. I know I may "hold it wrong" but there are times when I need to.
    Also when driving I attach the phone to the windscreen. Still easy to run out of signal in northern part of New England. You can increase the transmit power when the tower is not far out, hence people claiming excellent speeds with certain phones. When the tower is far, regulation limits the power output, you are better off with a good antenna and RF design. The FCC submission has data but few people interpret it. Uplink and downlink combinations make it complicated.
    A bar chart would be nice about what signal level needed for 10 Mbps download speed for example.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If money was no object to me, I would choose the Samsung Note 10 5G model.

Then again, the reality is that I will continue using my Galaxy S9 + until I am ready to replace it (probably 2021). My market will probably not see 5G until the end of 2020 or possibly not until 2021, but who knows for certain?
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    If money was no object to me, I would choose the Samsung Note 10 5G model.

Then again, the reality is that I will continue using my Galaxy S9 + until I am ready to replace it (probably 2021). My market will probably not see 5G until the end of 2020 or possibly not until 2021, but who knows for certain?
    I see no reason in getting the 5g one waste of extra money, I didn't get an 4g phone until 2 years later, I had tested an 4g phone in the back when it first came out and battery life was crap because phone keep switching from 3g to 4g non stop same would happen with an 5g,Any one buying an 5g phone isvoy doing to say there phone has 5g

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manofstill2012 View Post
    I see no reason in getting the 5g one waste of extra money, I didn't get an 4g phone until 2 years later, I had tested an 4g phone in the back when it first came out and battery life was crap because phone keep switching from 3g to 4g non stop same would happen with an 5g,Any one buying an 5g phone isvoy doing to say there phone has 5G.
    No argument with you there. Like I said, "If money was no object....." It does have internal memory up to 1 Terrabyte and 5 built in cameras, plus more features than most people would want or need. Just saying.......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast