Thread: Tello Pay-as-you-go Minimum Upped To $20!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Tello Pay-as-you-go Minimum Upped To $20!

Tello Pay-as-you-go Minimum Upped To $20!

See: https://tello.com/buy/pay_as_you_go

Too bad. I switched a line from FP/Ting to Tello less than 3 weeks ago, and the minimum was $10 then.

I think I remember that the minimum Tello top-up was originally only $5!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I DON'T see this as a money grab. Tello's been around since 2016. I have 2 paygo lines with Tello. Thinking strongly about a 3rd line UTT 1GB for $10 a month.

Any good info that I'm wrong about this? Hope not.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm guessing Tello rates are gonna change big time when T-Mobile gets a hold of them. I think they changed the Paygo minimum cuz a lot of us are still using are $10.00 balance from 3 years ago!!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I'm guessing Tello rates are gonna change big time when T-Mobile gets a hold of them. I think they changed the Paygo minimum cuz a lot of us are still using are $10.00 balance from 3 years ago!!
    If T-Sprint goes FINAL. Almost all MVNOs that stay in business their rates will sky rocket once their current carrier agreements run out. And then these days right now will be the good old days. Like when gasoline was under $1 a gallon.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They may go up, but I suspect they will not skyrocket.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >Tello Pay-as-you-go Minimum Upped To $20!

Not surprised given the (practically) no-expire feature. I'm still on the $5 allotment Tello gave me from the RingPlus promo. I've no doubt Tello is losing money on my acct, since it has to maintain the line every month.

>Like when gasoline was under $1 a gallon.

You must be really old. Gas price is a bad example anyway. Today's gas prices are cheaper than when it was in 2011, at least in the US. Gas prices are generally a lot higher elsewhere. It's mainly a function of politics, and to a lesser extent, supply and demand. Not so much inflation. So, doesn't really fit the "good old days" gripes.

Edit: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-since-1990/

Device(s)
    Pixel3XL, Pixel3, Pixel2XL, s9+, s8+, Atom, Axon 7, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    $20 is steep, but I suspect this change was made because Tello does not want to be the cheapest place to park or especially move your number temporarily on the way to either (1) get a port-in deal to somewhere else or (2) be a step on the way to port from a landline to Google Voice.

Now that the go-to T-Mobile cheap/free SIM is gone, people are flocking to the next cheaper thing.
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree that parking #'s may have been an issue for Tello-- as are true 'glovebox' phones that have little use.

But even at $10 setup cost for PayGo, this was not the cheapest option for a temporary middle-man stop during a port.
    Tello's basic plan at $5 is still more economical for doing that, as is Ting's basic $6 line fee. Last time I needed one, there was a good selection of $10 options for a temporary porting stop.
    (Although the economy did shift towards Tello Paygo if you needed over 30 days on that temporary stop.)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    One factor might be credit card fees. Some processors charge a basic fee, maybe 75 cents or even a dollar, for a transaction, in addition to a percentage of the charge. If it costs a merchant 90 cents to process a $10 recharge and 95 cents for a $20 recharge, the merchant loses proportionately less money by increasing the minimum recharge amount.

I think people forget that merchants get the raw end of the deal when a customer uses a credit or debit card to make a $2 or $3 purchase. I have no inside knowledge into Tello, there could be any number of reasons for the change. We're a thrifty bunch, but I don't begrudge Tello for changing the topup minimum. They have good plans and excellent customer service.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    When Tello recently changed their plans (lowering rates, or increasing allotments for many users), they also dropped their PayGO rate for calling minutes to 1 cent. (Previously 2C). For the typical user, the new $20 minimum may last more than twice as far as the old $10 minimum.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    When Tello recently changed their plans (lowering rates, or increasing allotments for many users), they also dropped their PayGO rate for calling minutes to 1 cent. (Previously 2C). For the typical user, the new $20 minimum may last more than twice as far as the old $10 minimum.
    This. While it sucks they raised the minimum PayGo bucket, these other changes are better for the long term customer. Now, if they would just get support for anything other than Sprint and their ridiculous phone rules. Even at slightly higher prices.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My Tello line just auto recharged for $10.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    While the minimum for a manual recharge is now $20, it is still possible to set auto-recharge (when balance falls below $2) to $10. I did so in connection with a $20 topup. I'm not sure if there is another way to invoke the auto top-up and set the amount.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    $20 is steep, but I suspect this change was made because Tello does not want to be the cheapest place to park or especially move your number temporarily on the way to either (1) get a port-in deal to somewhere else or (2) be a step on the way to port from a landline to Google Voice.
    Except Tello still offers a $5/mo plan which will work perfectly for porting your number around...

If they didn't want to be a place to park a number, they should expire balances after 90 days like other paygo. Increasing the minimum top-up doesn't help there, much.

Increasing the top-up does help reduce credit/debit card fees a bit.