Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is your phone suddenly using more battery?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Is your phone suddenly using more battery?

I have my Android phones set up to Auto Update Apps when it connects to WiFi. Within the last few days, I noticed that my wife's Fiesta 2 and my Huawei Sensa suddenly are using a lot of battery. My wife's Fiesta 2 used to use about 3-4% a day, now it's using more than 20% a day. Same with my Sensa (on airplane mode because it's not active). The culprit is Android OS which used to use 2-3% every WEEK, now it's using 15% a DAY. I did some Google search and other people are experiencing the same thing. Android OS is not a "normal" app, it does the work requested by other apps. Most people think the new version of Google Play Services has some new features (it's a lot bigger than the previous versions) that are using up the battery. So I disabled everything related to Google Play on my wife's phone (she only uses it for calls and texts) and my Sensa (being used as a WiFi device). I also turned off Auto Update on my main phone LG Q6.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Name:  Huawei-Sensa-battery-usage-2019-08-22.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  31.6 KB

Carrier(s)
    verzion
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well I would just use the main phone and don't worry about the other one

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Same issue with my two LG phones. I have read it is Google Play Service version 18.3.85. Did stopping Google Play Service correct the issue?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No noticeable battery life difference on the Moto E4 Plus. (Not yet anyway)

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LCSJL View Post
    Did stopping Google Play Service correct the issue?
    Yes, disabling Google Play Service on my wife's Fiesta 2 brought the battery usage by Android OS way back down. Of course, any apps that come from Google (Gmail, Photos, Google Play Music, Google Play Movies, Calendar...) start nagging that they won't run without Google Play Service. But my wife doesn't use them, so I disabled them all. I'll do the same later on my Sensa.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    On my Fiesta 2, my biggest draw is Surfshark VPN (16%) and Screen (12%). Android OS and Google Services (vers. 18.3.85) are 1%. For Google Play, I disabled Google Play Movies and Music. On my phone there is no way to disable Play Services. Phone tells me it has only used 1% power since last full charge which was 2 days ago. I'm at 53% now.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    On my Fiesta 2, my biggest draw is Surfshark VPN (16%) and Screen (12%). Android OS and Google Services (vers. 18.3.85) are 1%.
    On my main phone Q6, (not updated) Google Play Services is version 18.3.85; its size is small (250MB) and its battery usage is low. On the Sensa, the version is 18.7.19, it's much bigger (452MB) and its battery usage is way high. When my wife gets home, I'll check the version on her Fiesta 2.

Name:  Google-Play-Services-on-Q6.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:  Google-Play-Services-on-Sensa.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  26.8 KB

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just checked my wife's Fiesta 2. I don't know which version of Google Play Services it had yesterday. But when I disabled it, it uninstalled all the updates and is now at version 10.2.98.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I just checked my wife's Fiesta 2. I don't know which version of Google Play Services it had yesterday. But when I disabled it, it uninstalled all the updates and is now at version 10.2.98.
    Unless there is no rhyme or reason to Play Services version numbers, I don't understand how a device could have a version 18.7.19 when the current version is
    18.3.85 released 8/11/2019. This is very confusing. There was a known battery drain issue with 18.3.82 that was supposedly fixed with .85. Oh well.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Unless there is no rhyme or reason to Play Services version numbers, I don't understand how a device could have a version 18.7.19 when the current version is 18.3.85 released 8/11/2019. This is very confusing. There was a known battery drain issue with 18.3.82 that was supposedly fixed with .85.
    When I noticed yesterday 8/21/19 that Play Services/Android OS were using a lot of battery on my Sensa, I disabled Play Services, which in turn uninstalled all its updates. After that, a bunch of apps (from Google) started nagging that they wouldn't run unless Play Services is updated. I clicked on the UPDATE button in the error message, the phone went to Google Play via WiFi and started downloading the updates then installed them. I suspect that the version obtained that way (18.7.19) is not available for general distribution yet.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    When I noticed yesterday 8/21/19 that Play Services/Android OS were using a lot of battery on my Sensa, I disabled Play Services, which in turn uninstalled all its updates. After that, a bunch of apps (from Google) started nagging that they wouldn't run unless Play Services is updated. I clicked on the UPDATE button in the error message, the phone went to Google Play via WiFi and started downloading the updates then installed them. I suspect that the version obtained that way (18.7.19) is not available for general distribution yet.
    I guess it is as good an explanation as any. When I looked this morning, the version in Play Store was 18.3.85 so who knows? If you are right, they sure go thru versions quickly. There is also their beta program, who knows what version level that may be at.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Unless there is no rhyme or reason to Play Services version numbers, I don't understand how a device could have a version 18.7.19 when the current version is 18.3.85 released 8/11/2019.
    THIS SITE and other sites show that version 18.7.19 came out just a few days after 18.3.85.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    THIS SITE and other sites show that version 18.7.19 came out just a few days after 18.3.85.
    Like I said, not the version in Play Store. That sideload site seems to show that the 18.7 series was used in the beta program and then? Also seems to show version numbers are all over the map. At this point I am not going to worry my pretty little head over it.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've got 18.3.85 on my Fiesta 2 with no perceived increase in battery drain. No idea how long since that version first installed. Wow, is that ever a large app (339 MB)!

I've gotten the newer version of the Play Store app with its new "look" (fonts like the newer GV app). Not noticing any effect of that on anything.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have been noticing more Google Play services battery use too, and also Carrier Services. Surprisingly, Android System and Screen have not been listing. Moto G5 Plus on Oreo.

Name:  Screenshot_20190822-173425.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  28.9 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast