Thread: Hotspot/Tether provider that works with Xbox Live & Playstation?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Hotspot/Tether provider that works with Xbox Live & Playstation?

I asked a similar question in one of the less busy forum areas but didn't get any sort of response.

Is there a hotspot/tether service that will work and allow you to hook up to Xbox Live and PS4 party chats?

Currently, we experimented with 1 line on Visible just to see how the service worked and others here suggested some good plans for my family to switch to. However, I'd like to make sure the provider we switch to can work with this properly.

Currently, using Visible/Verizon's server the internet works fine, but it creates a NAT issue that blocks Xbox party chat from working. So, our kids can play their games at home or away at friends and family (gram doesn't have internet), but they are unable to talk to their friends when doing so.

I realize only a select subset of the users here probably play games, but if anyone has verified any of these services working please let me know as I've been asking around various places with little success over the past week. Thank you in advance!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Your always going to be behind a nat over cellular. I think the only exception is enterprise stuff and which you’d pay a pretty penny for though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the reply, I feared as much.

This might be getting a little off-topic as these comments deal with post paid. But I did find a couple forum and Reddit threads stating a couple fixes for some people.

1. AT&T released new 4g routers a few years back that allow upnp that apparently fixes game issues with people using their service in rural areas. Not a phone obviously but still 4g service.

2. Found some threads saying that Sprint will actually give you a dedicated IP on each phone with them for $3/ month, which supposedly fixes the issue too.

I don't know about using either of these routes or if they are viable, but at the very least maybe I'll find out what's required to achieve this if at all possible.

The sad thing is it's just the chat features that doesn't work. ��. All this work around over a single feature.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >AT&T released new 4g routers a few years back that allow upnp that apparently fixes game issues with people using their service in rural areas.

You should try that instead of Visible. Get the Netgear MR1100 Nighthawk LTE hotspot on eBay for $130, which supports all of AT&T LTE bands including supplemental ones, then get the $35/mo iPad unlimited data plan from AT&T (obviously, need a way to get around the iPad requirement).

http://netgear.com/landings/nighthaw...-mobile-router
    http://netgear.com/support/product/MR1100.aspx

>Currently, using Visible/Verizon's server the internet works fine, but it creates a NAT issue that blocks Xbox party chat from working.

Are you sure NAT is the cause? Because most every residential Internet hookup goes through a NAT. Do you have a double NAT setup? Visible only allows one-device hotspot, so if you're passing the sig through your router, it's a double NAT.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >AT&T released new 4g routers a few years back that allow upnp that apparently fixes game issues with people using their service in rural areas.

You should try that instead of Visible. Get the Netgear MR1100 Nighthawk LTE hotspot on eBay for $130, which supports all of AT&T LTE bands including supplemental ones, then get the $35/mo iPad unlimited data plan from AT&T (obviously, need a way to get around the iPad requirement).

http://netgear.com/landings/nighthaw...-mobile-router
    http://netgear.com/support/product/MR1100.aspx

>Currently, using Visible/Verizon's server the internet works fine, but it creates a NAT issue that blocks Xbox party chat from working.

Are you sure NAT is the cause? Because most every residential Internet hookup goes through a NAT. Do you have a double NAT setup? Visible only allows one-device hotspot, so if you're passing the sig through your router, it's a double NAT.

I do pass the Visible through my router and it causes a double NAT. I can confirm this works with Visible though to route internet to my entire home and stream multiple TV's and computers fine with this method.

However, even with it on the hotspot only with just the Xbox connected I get a moderate NAT. It shows the hotspot is connecting with combined ipv4 and ipv6 using this method on a moderate NAT. Like you I thought the double NAT was the problem because of my router, but even the phone hotspot without the router prevents us from joining any sort of party chat on Xbox or PS4 with the moderate NAT.

I think there may be something else going on too though because according to Microsoft a moderate NAT should be able to join parties with other people on open and moderate NAT's, but we've been unable to connect into a party chat with anyone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by beastykato View Post
    I do pass the Visible through my router and it causes a double NAT. I can confirm this works with Visible though to route internet to my entire home and stream multiple TV's and computers fine with this method. However, even with it on the hotspot only with just the Xbox connected I get a moderate NAT. It shows the hotspot is connecting with combined ipv4 and ipv6 using this method on a moderate NAT. Like you I thought the double NAT was the problem because of my router, but even the phone hotspot without the router prevents us from joining any sort of party chat on Xbox or PS4 with the moderate NAT. I think there may be something else going on too though because according to Microsoft a moderate NAT should be able to join parties with other people on open and moderate NAT's, but we've been unable to connect into a party chat with anyone.
    did you try this - https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...error-solution

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >I can confirm this works with Visible though to route internet to my entire home

Yeah, I've been using a double-NAT setup on and off for a few years. But then I don't do online gaming. Interestingly enough, torrenting through double-NAT is full speed even though I never opened any port.

>but even the phone hotspot without the router prevents us from joining any sort of party chat on Xbox or PS4 with the moderate NAT.

Interesting that there's this open/moderate/strict NAT designation for consoles.

But it really doesn't matter. Basically, your Visible hotspot is a blackbox, ie you can't adjust it at all. So whatever the cause, the problem is unfixable. You can live with it, or go with an alternative.

Anyway, realize that you're using the service out-of-spec, both in respect to using the service as home Internet, and using double-NAT. Moreover, it's likely that many Visible users are doing the same thing you are because of the unlimited hotspot, so it shouldn't be surprising that some functionality is curtailed. As the saying goes, ask not how well the dog sings.

You've laid out the alternatives yourself. Go to another unlimited hotspot provider, or ideally, get a wired hookup for minimum latency.

Edit: Looks like the party's over for AT&T unlimited as well.

http://google.com/search?&q=at%26t+u...ipad+plan+xbox

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Edit: Looking more into this open/moderate/strict NAT biz, here's one possible solution. It's only for AT&T's hotspot since it's a bona fide mobile router. As said, you can't adjust Visible hotspot.

http://cainetworks.com/support/how-t...rict-open.html

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Edit 3: After browsing yet more on the topic, suggest:

. Search on 'at&t hotspot xbox|gaming', and set time filter to 2019. AT&T has had this issue for a while, and you'd get many more relevant hits than 'visible'.

. Apply the proffered solutions to your router. While it's only the downstream routing, resolving the issue there could obviate it appearing at the upstream routing. For example, one reported solution is to change to 3rd-party DNS (eg Cloudflare 1.1.1.1). If you resolve the IP at your router, it won't be resolved again. I'd opened the above three ports on your router.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, G4+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by beastykato View Post
    I asked a similar question in one of the less busy forum areas but didn't get any sort of response.

Is there a hotspot/tether service that will work and allow you to hook up to Xbox Live and PS4 party chats?

Currently, we experimented with 1 line on Visible just to see how the service worked and others here suggested some good plans for my family to switch to. However, I'd like to make sure the provider we switch to can work with this properly.

Currently, using Visible/Verizon's server the internet works fine, but it creates a NAT issue that blocks Xbox party chat from working. So, our kids can play their games at home or away at friends and family (gram doesn't have internet), but they are unable to talk to their friends when doing so.

I realize only a select subset of the users here probably play games, but if anyone has verified any of these services working please let me know as I've been asking around various places with little success over the past week. Thank you in advance!
    My grandson uses the Xbox app on his cell phone or tablet to talk to his friends. We've saved a lot on headsets and mics this past year. Works great and he likes it better. Only problem is we get to hear the whole conversation as well. lol

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FP GSM
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't have nat issues with sprint. although maybe my mofi is helping out in some way.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hey, I just wanted to come back and update this.

I haven't been able to test it on Sprint, but I hear many people online saying like the previous poster that Sprint will work.

I was able to try this tethering on a Cricket line though and it did work. I was still behind a double NAT tethering through my router thru the house, but we were able to connect to voice chat without isssue. So, the NAT itself must not be the problem it must just be something on Verizon's end.