Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can a phone number be broken.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    I don’t know much about cellular service. What I do know is that with Sprint and Verizon, being CDMA carriers, you can be using data or voice but not both UNLESS you are simultaneously connected to a WiFi internet connection.

It seems if you were connected to 3G and using a data app (e.g., surfing the web, Find My Friends, Apple Maps, Waze), then your phone would indeed go to voicemail. That happens to me routinely on Sprint. Thus, I wonder if the is a technology limitation of CDMA v. GSM where AT&T is GSM. GSM allows for simultaneous voice and data.

Like I say, my technology knowledge is limited and may be outdated in light of 4G LTE behavior and capabilities

I would love to be educated since I may be in the dark ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If you're with Verizon you are a bit in the dark ages. Ever hear of VoLTE? You can't even get a phone from or on a Verizon network anymore without having simultaneous voice and data. If you don't know about this you have allot of catching up to do.

Feedback Score
    Without even debating the simultaneous voice and data (svdo) issue, voice calls always trumped data operations. This goes all the way back to when I owned 3g only phones. If you were engaged in some data function and received a voice call, the voice call would knock the data operation off.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Without even debating the simultaneous voice and data (svdo) issue, voice calls always trumped data operations. This goes all the way back to when I owned 3g only phones. If you were engaged in some data function and received a voice call, the voice call would knock the data operation off.
    GSM devices on At&t don't have that limitation (and probably on T-Mobile). On At&t you have always had simultaneous voice and data as far back as their 2G networks, well before the VOLTE integration.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    GSM devices on At&t don't have that limitation (and probably on T-Mobile). On At&t you have always had simultaneous voice and data as far back as their 2G networks, well before the VOLTE integration.
    Yes, but this is a Verizon forum and I assumed the poster was referring to the OP's problem with a Verizon phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Can you show a link for that?

I'm pretty sure that, at least how T-Mobile and ATT implemented it, that you didn't get simultaneous voice and data until 3G was implemented. Verizon didn't support that on their 3G (except for a few phones with 2 radios) until VoLTE was implemented.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Yes, but this is a Verizon forum and I assumed the poster was referring to the OP's problem with a Verizon phone.
    From the original post, the OP was having issues with Verizon (which is CDMA)

However, comparing Verizon to AT&T (I.e., GSM, or T-Mobile, too) is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

If OP compared Verizon to Sprint (like I have), it would be apples-to-apples provided the OP is not connected to WiFi with Sprint. Sprint does support WiFi calling over the internet - even before AT&T.

It is good to know that Verizon is in the dark ages at least for now. We have had similar issues as OP with my brother-in-law’s Verizon iPhone 5s. Might have to upgrade phone and
    move to the New T-Mobile depending on what Verizon does.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Can you show a link for that?
    I don't have a link, I worked for them from 2001 - 2009 as a CS rep. I have first hand knowledge. Keep in mind that when GSM technology was first introduced, it was 2G and then upgraded to 3G.

Feedback Score

Can a phone number be broken.

From the original post, the OP was having issues with Verizon (which is CDMA)
    Verizon is no longer CDMA in most areas. It is VoLTE or Voice over LTE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Verizon is no longer CDMA in most areas. It is VoLTE or Voice over LTE.

Thanks. I understand VoLTE better now, some additional reading.

A remaining issue for many in the rural area is that LTE is not always available - if ever in that area.

For discussion’s sake, if any phone is not able to access LTE, then the phone VoLTE is not part of the equation - only legacy 3G, 1x (if supported$ or no service. Correct?

Back to OP’s original post, would one explanation be that if LTE is not available, will a voice call still take precedence over data in this age of VoLTE phones?

I am just trying to learn and understand. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I understand VoLTE better now, some additional reading.

A remaining issue for many in the rural area is that LTE is not always available - if ever in that area.

For discussion’s sake, if any phone is not able to access LTE, then the phone VoLTE is not part of the equation - only legacy 3G, 1x (if supported$ or no service. Correct?

Back to OP’s original post, would one explanation be that if LTE is not available, will a voice call still take precedence over data in this age of VoLTE phones?

I am just trying to learn and understand. Thanks!

Yes the call handling by the Network might be different if the phone is on a 3G (CDMA) Network.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2