Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No VoLTE calling and no 3g network

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

No VoLTE calling and no 3g network

I use a BYOD (MOTO E4+) on AT&T postpaid and I am currently traveling in western NC & central TN. I have a good LTE signal but when I try to make a call, often the phone will drop to 3g and I get a no network message. Is this the result of AT&T re-purposing network resources or am I experiencing a problem with my device? I realize AT&T does not provide non branded phones with VoLTE.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    At&t not allowing VoLTE on non AT&T devices...One of the games they play.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sadly, At&t won't be able to resolve that issue as of now. It's all in your court now.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Supposedly they will allow VoLTE/VoWiFi on unbranded devices by the end of the year... for now it's very hit or miss depending on the device. However, I don't think they will go back and support older devices, probably only new ones moving forward.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    they BARELY support it on AT&T branded devices.

Seriously. A couple of months ago I got an S9+ (new in box!). I updated it to death immediately; it took overnight and many reboots, and ended up on Android 9 with the latest security update.

And I could not enable VoLTE to save my life. The menu item that is documented for this when the phone was new on Android 8, is not there on Android 9. And AT&T had no idea what I was talking about or what to do.

I quite literally stumbled, in the dialer, on the option to turn on video calling. THAT is the trigger to enable all the VoLTE and wifi calling crap.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    I quite literally stumbled, in the dialer, on the option to turn on video calling. THAT is the trigger to enable all the VoLTE and wifi calling crap.
    That's... amusing. I wonder how many people have VoLTE-capable phones that don't have it enabled? I've run across many people who don't have Wi-Fi calling enabled, and I've had to enable it for them when at locations with limited or no cell service.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is 2019 and all Carriers are weird. Switch to the cheapest one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    That's... amusing.
    It was pathetic. My first call to AT&T, the woman suggested that maybe I have a non-AT&T phone. Never mind that it boots up to the AT&T logo; no, she hung her hat on the fact that it didn't have the death star silk screened onto the back of the phone. Ergo, it must not actually be an AT&T phone.

My second call didn't give me that, but got me absolutely no joy despite the 20 minutes of effort.

This is your tech support from AT&T, people. If they say the phone does X but yours doesn't, then accept that it never will. Absolute best case, you're on your own to find it if it exists at all.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just keep in mind that Tier I tech support is very limited in their troubleshooting skills.

Adam1991, you should have escalated the call to Tier II for additional assistance. I have served in both roles for At&t over the past several years. I used to solve similar issues while I worked for them. I won't attempt to make an excuse for the difficulty you had when you called in.

I strongly suspect that the feature needed to manually added to the account through the billing system to enable it. Did you get the issue resolved ??

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    To answer the OP's question: The Carolinas and Eastern TN never had low-band (Band 5) available for 3G on AT&T. It was on Band 2, and they
    most likely are repurposing more of Band 2 for LTE.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    To answer the OP's question: The Carolinas and Eastern TN never had low-band (Band 5) available for 3G on AT&T. It was on Band 2, and they
    most likely are repurposing more of Band 2 for LTE.
    I guess it depends on what a "good" LTE signal is. If there is a relatively strong LTE signal, B2 HSPA+ will work just fine, but if you're right on the edge of the cell on B12 VoLTE, then you may be out of range of B2 HSPA+. This is similar to New Hampshire and a few other markets where AT&T is not one of the two cellular carriers and relies on PCS, 700, and other bands.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, it is a problem when someone has a phone on which AT&T does not currently allow VoLTE, such as the OP's Moto phone.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    Yes, it is a problem when someone has a phone on which AT&T does not currently allow VoLTE, such as the OP's Moto phone.
    It's hard to be an att customer without a volte approved phone. Especially with band 14. It's like being on a different network.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    It's hard to be an att customer without a volte approved phone. Especially with band 14. It's like being on a different network.
    There's no question VoLTE is better than HSPA+ for voice, but is it really much of a difference? I didn't have any issue with AT&T's network pre-VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Just keep in mind that Tier I tech support is very limited in their troubleshooting skills.

Adam1991, you should have escalated the call to Tier II for additional assistance.
    Pardon me?

Tier 1 took it upon herself to declare my phone "probably not an AT&T phone" and she stopped right there. Tier 1 the second time around wandered around for 20 minutes and faded away with no resolution.

At no point did tier 1 ever offer to put me over to tier II for any additional assistance.

And you're saying it's MY obligation to DIRECT them what to do? Isn't that their ENTIRE JOB? Why should I pay AT&T good money only to be forced to do their jobs for them?

I strongly suspect that the feature needed to manually added to the account through the billing system to enable it. Did you get the issue resolved ??
    Read what I wrote. You have a habit of not doing so before responding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast