Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iPhone and TracFone?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

iPhone and TracFone?

I would be OK buying an older iPhone 6 or 7 (new, not refurb) from TF if they sold a model with more than 32 GB. Folks I know have tried the 32 GB iPhones and said 32 GB is not enough even for OS updates from Apple and this would be a mistake. These folks did not have video or a ton of music stored on their phones.

If I do buy an iPhone (unlocked, CDMA and Verizon) what is the least expensive plan for this phone from TF or others using a Verizon?

I currently have the 365 day service from TF but don't think that is an option with the iPhone purchased from TF or BYOP.

I do expect to pay more than the $100-$125 / year that I have been used to with TF and an Android phone!

Thanks

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The airtime prices do not discriminate between phones like that. Airtime is airtime. You can even move a sim between phones if the phone can handle the technology. So the airtime gets used via a different phone automatically.

The TF branded phones do tend to have some special treatment, but it is not related to Android vs iPhone. It is related to being TF branded vs BYOP. The SIM is just registered one way or the other.

You might have to mess with some internal settings in order to get data working properly. That is a separate issue. Perhaps that is what you heard through the grapevine regarding iPhones.

The cheapest yearly deal is on Tracfone's eBay Store. Look for the $49.99 special.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Pr...0AAOSwp1Bc5a~n

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Pr...r=584486806381

Same deal but depends on what SIMs you want, if any.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have been using an iPhone 6 with 32GB. No trouble getting OS updated. Of course you can fill your phone with photos, music and video. All depends on your usage pattern.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The cheapest yearly deal is on Tracfone's eBay Store. Look for the $49.99 special.

Same deal but depends on what SIMs you want, if any.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Lisme!

This looks like the way to get started, have 365 days of service and then add airtime / text / data as needed. The Verizon SIM is currently 'out of stock' but I haven't bought the iPhone from TF or a fully unlocked iPhone yet at any rate. I do think I will go for more than 32 GB.

Do I need a 'fully unlocked' CDMA iPhone and not GSM?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    We are going to have to wait for the Verizon users to chime in.

As far as I know, the only way for Verizon to allow a phone to use their network is if the IMEI is whitelisted. If you buy a Tracfone branded iPhone (probably already capable of Verizon), it will be automatically whitelisted for use with a Tracfone SIM. In fact, it ships with the correct SIM. If you get the airtime deal, do not ask for a Verizon SIM, because that will be a BYOP SIM preloaded with the airtime. I'm not sure how to transfer that over.

If you go for the deal, either select I'm Not Sure or else get the other deal that has no choices. Then you will get a packet of BYOP SIMs like they sell at Target plus an airtime card. You can ignore the packet of SIMs and just apply the airtime PIN to your phone.

If you get a non-Tracfone that you want to use with Verizon, you will have to find a whitelisted IMEI somewhere to use as an activation substitute. Then put the activated BYOP SIM into your phone. Or else something already activated on a Tracfone.

You will have to research the Verizon capabilities of an iPhone that you are considering, using the model number.

I think this is how all of this works.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I switched to Tracfone back in early 2016 from Verizon after paying off my iPhone 6. I never get tired of paying $80 a year using their $20 90 day service cards, so paying under the 100-125 range you said is very possible.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    We are going to have to wait for the Verizon users to chime in.

As far as I know, the only way for Verizon to allow a phone to use their network is if the IMEI is whitelisted.
    Depends on the model. Some are all carrier some you need specific models for Verizon compatibility.

As far as I know all unlocked iPhones that are capable of working on Verizon are whitelisted. (Maybe not some old non-VoLTE stuff)

But I'm not sure which models are all carrier and which aren't.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think this should be mentioned to the OP:

The Iphone 6(NOT 6s) will no longer be supported. The new IOS 13 coming VERY SOON, will NOT be usable/downloadable on ANY Iphone 6 or earlier version. So no more security enhancements/etc... This is important too remember.

Next, unless it is a cost issue, which is 100% understandable, I don't know why you don't want a refurbished(especially by Apple, but these are PRICEY) and/or a USED Iphone 6s or later.

You can get a TREMENDOUS discount on a used iphone on EBay. thegizmotrader and mywit are EXCELLENT sellers on EBay. I have bought numerous used phones from them over the last 3-4 years and have always been satisfied. Just stick with the Excellent/Like New/B+/A-/A stock and you can score a great deal.

Also, go with an Iphone that has BOTH CDMA/GSM UNLOCKED in the Iphone. These will be used VERIZON branded phones. The UNLOCKED AT&T phones are GSM ONLY.

The reason I say that is that it gives you flexibility on weather you want to use the AT&T towers or VERIZON towers. I have tried both where I live(NW Pennsylvania) and for me AT&T towers work better for me IMHO. But YMMV.

Also, with DATA usage, at least this is my current and past experience, VERIZON THROTTLES their prepaid services for DATA. AT&T, so far for me, DOES NOT. Some may disagree that this is not happening, but when I switched over 2 years ago to a BYOP SIM AT&T(GSM) from a BYOP VERIZON SIM(CDMA), Tracfone BYOP SIM obviously, the difference in speed was night and day.

No matter where I was in the country(USA) my speeds have more than tripled/quadrupled. VERIZON anywhere at its top speed for prepaid was 5MB/download for DATA on LTE, whereas AT&T usually runs around 15MB to 20MB when on LTE.

Last thing.

The Iphone 11 will be released on September 10th(8 days away). OLDER USED IPHONES, and new, typically drop in price about 30% after a new release. If you can wait a little longer, you can score even a better deal on a used one.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersrule View Post
    Also, go with an Iphone that has BOTH CDMA/GSM UNLOCKED in the Iphone. These will be used VERIZON branded phones. The UNLOCKED AT&T phones are GSM ONLY.
    iPhone models 5c, 5s, 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+, SE support all US carriers. They went back to limited CDMA support with the 7 (ie Sprint/Verizon specific variants).

I expect some 8/X and newer would work LTE only. Since TF now gets VoLTE those devices work (if in Verizon's whitelist). I just activated a LTE only device for my son (Razer Phone 2).

I looked a bit and saw reports of the AT&T 8 and X working LTE only on Verizon with a SIM swap, but nothing about activating, so whitelist status is unknown. Maybe even the 7.

Oh, and Verizon stopped throttling MVNOs over a year ago (summer 2017?) Check old threads.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That is all good too know. Still say stay away from the 6 or older since Apple will no longer support it when IOS 13 is released.

Nice too know that Verizon is no longer throttling their MVNO's. Still don't trust them. Would still say go with AT&T(GSM) towers since they never have throttled Data. At least never experienced it.

But never say never, right...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

The Iphone 6(NOT 6s) will no longer be supported. The new IOS 13 coming VERY SOON, will NOT be usable/downloadable on ANY Iphone 6 or earlier version. So no more security enhancements/etc... This is important too remember.
    I wonder if this is the reason why Tracfone marked my iPhone 6 as incompatible on my account. It's gonna suck because I don't see myself getting a new phone anytime soon. Might just get a flip phone and use the iPhone 6 as an iPod touch type device

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by praz108 View Post
    I wonder if this is the reason why Tracfone marked my iPhone 6 as incompatible on my account. It's gonna suck because I don't see myself getting a new phone anytime soon. Might just get a flip phone and use the iPhone 6 as an iPod touch type device
    I'd get an SE over a flip. They can be had for not a whole bunch more, or even a used 6S. Just swap the SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That is all good too know. Still say stay away from the 6 or older since Apple will no longer support it when IOS 13 is released.
    Plenty of older phones still in use. Phones that never got 12 or even 11.

Granted newer, still supported is better.

Nice too know that Verizon is no longer throttling their MVNO's. Still don't trust them.
    Your choice. Verizon offered the MVNOs LTE at limited speeds and they accepted. That was 2013/14? Since then Verizon improved their network and lifted the speed limits.

And they added VoLTE and VVM long before AT&T started (and still not widespread).

But the best thing is you're not locked in. If another option becomes better just switch. Whether or different carrier or different MVNO.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by slamsome View Post
    I'd get an SE over a flip. They can be had for not a whole bunch more, or even a used 6S. Just swap the SIM.
    If Tracfone thinks there is a problem with a phone account, it would not be good to swap the SIM into another phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by praz108 View Post
    I wonder if this is the reason why Tracfone marked my iPhone 6 as incompatible on my account.
    No, that's not it. Probably just activated before/without VoLTE.

Get it activated with VoLTE. New SIM, change phones and back, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast