Thread: Total Wireless.... LTE gone. 3G only.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Total Wireless.... LTE gone. 3G only.

Yes, I know I'm probably going to leave out pertinent info but I'll start with basic info and hope I include enough info.

Phone is Galaxy S5. I have had Total Wireless for a couple of years now. This was a phone I purchased directly from TW. About 4 or 5 days ago my LTE data was gone and I can only get 3G. I have traveled with the phone in the past and I do understand that in some locations I am going to only get 3G or even 1X service. The odd thing is that I am home. The same place I have been since starting service. I have never had a problem getting LTE data access in this area in the past. I have no idea what changed because I didn't do a thing. I have tried calling customer service but they aren't all that helpful. They have repeatedly told me that I do not have a plan that includes data. Yes......I know this I try to tell them. I am usually near WiFi so I really don't use a lot of data but when I do use it I have always gotten LTE in the very same locations so what is the deal? They have told me that I don't have a voice/data plan and I only have the $25 talk/text and I have REPEATEDLY told them that I know that but I have something like 15GB of add-on data that I purchased and added with $10 cards. My service has never lapsed and I have never lost the add-on data. Its just the wrong damn speed. Nothing has changed. I didn't move. I didn't make any changes to the phone, etc.. It just simply ONLY gets 3G data now but they don't seem to understand what I am trying to say! Any help is appreciated. Any additional info needed just ask. Thanks. I am making a short trip on Thursday. It is only about a 15 mile drive but I know that they have a different Verizon tower in that location. I guess I will see if the problem is a localized issue....

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Have you tried putting the phone in airport mode and then back out of airport mode? If that does not work, have you checked your APN settings? The APN has to be one of the these two options: TRACFONE.VZWENTP or VZWINTERNET.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Check your "data network" setting.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by edeclark View Post
    Yes, I know I'm probably going to leave out pertinent info but I'll start with basic info and hope I include enough info. Phone is Galaxy S5. I have had Total Wireless for a couple of years now. This was a phone I purchased directly from TW. About 4 or 5 days ago my LTE data was gone and I can only get 3G. I have traveled with the phone in the past and I do understand that in some locations I am going to only get 3G or even 1X service. The odd thing is that I am home. The same place I have been since starting service. I have never had a problem getting LTE data access in this area in the past. I have no idea what changed because I didn't do a thing. I have tried calling customer service but they aren't all that helpful. They have repeatedly told me that I do not have a plan that includes data. Yes......I know this I try to tell them. I am usually near WiFi so I really don't use a lot of data but when I do use it I have always gotten LTE in the very same locations so what is the deal? They have told me that I don't have a voice/data plan and I only have the $25 talk/text and I have REPEATEDLY told them that I know that but I have something like 15GB of add-on data that I purchased and added with $10 cards. My service has never lapsed and I have never lost the add-on data. Its just the wrong damn speed. Nothing has changed. I didn't move. I didn't make any changes to the phone, etc.. It just simply ONLY gets 3G data now but they don't seem to understand what I am trying to say! Any help is appreciated. Any additional info needed just ask. Thanks. I am making a short trip on Thursday. It is only about a 15 mile drive but I know that they have a different Verizon tower in that location. I guess I will see if the problem is a localized issue....
    do you have VoLTE turned off in network settings ?? is the phone set to automatic network selection ??

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >so what is the deal?

This is probably counterproductive, but you need to calm down. The tone of your post is nearly hysterical.

There are only two possibilities: A change to the service/provisioning that somehow invalidates your phone's LTE capability, or that your phone is the problem. The first is much less likely than the second, given that your phone is 5 years old.

Of course, we never think that it's our fault, so you're checking on the first. Which is fine. You could also PATIENTLY explain your situation to support again and ask if they can re-provision/reset/whatever your line to see if that helps. Yes, CS is what it is, but it's up to you to make it work.

To eliminate the second possibility, you need another phone to test. Go to Walmart and buy the TW Moto G6 for $100. Plug in your SIM, and see if LTE works. If it does, it's your 5-yr-old phone. If it doesn't, it's TW. The overwhelming probability is that it's your phone. Either way, you can return the bought phone to Walmart within 15 days.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My surmise. Total Wireless is a TracFone brand owned by American Movil.
    So plain & simple they screwed you out of the Data add-on.
    Not untypical Tracfone behavior.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Some carriers advertise they throttle to 600kbits/sec if data cap exceeded or congestion. Using actual 3G radio seems a fine way to do that and make most efficient use of resources.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    reset network settings that worked on my mothers phone

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bald2718281828 View Post
    Some carriers advertise they throttle to 600kbits/sec if data cap exceeded or congestion. Using actual 3G radio seems a fine way to do that and make most efficient use of resources.
    It seemed a fine way to do it to me, too--until someone with more experience told me it's never done that way by a carrier because it costs them more to deliver data via 3G than via LTE. So throttling takes place by limiting the speed of LTE, not by forcing use of 3G or 2G radios.