Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My own phone number was spoofed, even after Stir Shaken was implemented

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    And the primary reason for that is never-ending government budget cuts. It does take a lot of money to properly manage these issues. Let's not make this a political debate, please.
    Anything to do with government will be “political” in nature. On the technology side, some android devices have built in technology that Verizon is now using while all ios devices are requiring Verizon Call Filter. Apple should integrate the technology to keep these calls out into an update of the ios operating system and include it as an update. My Iphone 6S iappears to be capable of all the Verizon Call Filter’s features. The Verizon Call Filter does block out international calls and I activated this and haven’t yet received any of these types of calls. But I have it set on what appears to be the setting that should block the most calls and still get calls labeled as potential spam which ring my phone. Many calls are not even labeled as potential spam or fraud at all. The technology needs to be improved.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I know that the whole issue is political in nature.

My point was I don't want arguments being posted blaming the Republicans or Democrats specifically. If so, I guarantee the thread will be closed.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I know that the whole issue is political in nature.

My point was I don't want arguments being posted blaming the Republicans or Democrats specifically. If so, I guarantee the thread will be closed.
    Both parties hate robocalls equally.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Both parties hate robocalls equally.
    You know what I mean. I don't know a single person who doesn't hate robocalls no matter their political affiliation.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    On an extra line (that I'm going to let lapse when the year is up due to this), I get 2-3 calls a week from a sex recording. Actually uses the same number each time, so I can block it on the phone. But since it isn't blocked at the network level, it just shows up then as a voice mail.

I suspect we won't see autoblocking widespread at the network level though since you don't even see that there was a call. Or else it will have to be extremely obvious the source is the same, and widespread.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    The pixels call screening option is awesome for those calls that get past my hiya app. Best idea ever!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    The pixels call screening option is awesome for those calls that get past my hiya app. Best idea ever!
    The phone software of the Iphone on Apple’s end needs to be improved. Ios 13 is a good time to implement the new features to improve the network design and how it makes and receives calls to eliminate spoofed calls and texts.

The current feature set and functionality for phone and texts itself is too limited in scope.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like you know the answers, you should probably take advantage of this entrepreneurial opportunity.

I'd rather have to deal with the inconvenience of a few spam calls than have one single important legitimate call be erroneously blocked until technology can catch up and be reliable. Technology will always be several steps behind those who will find and take advantage of shortcomings. I choose not to get all wound up over it.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    The phone software of the Iphone on Apple’s end needs to be improved. Ios 13 is a good time to implement the new features to improve the network design and how it makes and receives calls to eliminate spoofed calls and texts.

The current feature set and functionality for phone and texts itself is too limited in scope.
    I agree the iPhone needs work in this area. I wish it were better implemented. Spam/Call blocking apps work very poorly on my iPhone and the only method Apple seems to give us is letting us block individual numbers or whole area codes which will cause one to potentially miss legit calls. The Verizon call filtering app also works poorly and is mostly ineffective in my observations. Fortunately for me I get very few spam calls anyway and am usually using the pixel which actually makes getting a spam call fun as it wastes their time and I don't even have to deal with it. I think Apple could just as easily have Siri screen the call as the Google assistant does but maybe they don't want to get called out as a copier of Android. Plus 1 for android and minus 1 for Apple.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    i get an average of one dozen spam calls a day that get through

running a pixel 2 on verizon

just got one an hour ago at 1030pm on a holiday

these ****ers dont give up

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    i get an average of one dozen spam calls a day that get through

running a pixel 2 on verizon

just got one an hour ago at 1030pm on a holiday

these ****ers dont give up
    Wow, you get a lot more than I do. I should maybe clarify tho, when a spam call comes in it is labeled as such 8 times out of ten by my Hiya calling app. Any calls that make it thru that I don't recognize I let the assistant screen it for me and 99% of the time they hang up anyway and leave no message. I totally understand that those using their phones for business wouldn't want to let a possible business related call get tossed aside and would need to answer all calls so this method would not be at all good for those types of users.
    But as a personal phone I'm very happy with the way it is set to handle incoming spam.
    On my iPhone using the call filter provided by Verizon when a spam call is detected it still rings once which is somewhat annoying. Previously I would just silence the ringer on a suspect call and go about my day, so not much difference and IMO the call filtering app is pretty lame.
    There is of course the option to reject all calls from a given area code but this seems stupidly thought out as it would be far to easy to block wrong calls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2