Thread: Tmobile magenta plus

Feedback Score

Tmobile magenta plus

guys - I'm looking for a new prepaid plan or postpaid for that matter that offers 15-20gb of data for domestic use but also some LTE data when traveling internationally. On tmobile website it's unclear if they offer LTE data when roaming international or just 128kbps restricted data. Can somebody help answer this or recommend other plans I should look into?

Thx

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sam009 View Post
    guys - I'm looking for a new prepaid plan or postpaid for that matter that offers 15-20gb of data for domestic use but also some LTE data when traveling internationally. On tmobile website it's unclear if they offer LTE data when roaming international or just 128kbps restricted data. Can somebody help answer this or recommend other plans I should look into?

Thx

LTE is included in Mexico and Canada, but you're throttled to 128k (or 256k if you have "Magenta Plus") in the rest of the 210 included countries.

Prepaid versions of the plan only roam in Canada and Mexico- you have to be postpaid to roam outside North America.

You can buy "International Passes"- add-ons for LTE data to use on the Magenta or Magenta Plus postpaid plans when you travel. If/when they run out, either buy another or put up with the throttled data speeds. The passes also waive the $0.25/minute roaming charge for voice calls.

512MB/24 hours (whichever comes first) of high-speed data and unlimited calling is $5.
    5GB/10 days is $35.
    15GB/30 days is $50.

Personally, I found 128k worked well enough most the time for my vacation needs (nav apps, Uber, Google searches, Yelp, and Google Voice.) My kids complained a little, but I reminded them that we didn't go to Europe to watch YouTube!

As a cheaper alternative, you might look at Three UK. They have cheap monthly prepaid plans with roaming included-I bought a 5GB/30 days data-only Three SIM (I used Google Voice for texting and calling) for less than $20US on Amazon. They throttle to 512kbps outside the UK. Supposedly, according to Three's website you have to activate the plans in the UK first, but I found that wasn't true. I activated here in the US, and it worked both in the Czech Republic and in France, before I eventually got to the UK. (I used the Three SIM in a backup phone, intending to also use it as a hotspot for our T-Mobile phones if we couldn't stand the 128k throttle. As it turned out, 128K was fine for our needs, but it was nice having a backup phone if our regular phones' batteries died before the day's end!)
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Are you sure magenta prepaid doesn't include international roaming? If I go post-paid, is it with a contract or month to month

Also I'm moving from a corporate verizon plan to a personal tmobile plan - I wonder if tmobile will offer any incentives for doing so

thx

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sam009 View Post
    Are you sure magenta prepaid doesn't include international roaming? If I go post-paid, is it with a contract or month to month

Also I'm moving from a corporate verizon plan to a personal tmobile plan - I wonder if tmobile will offer any incentives for doing so

thx
    AFAIK, no T-Mobile prepaid plan has ever worked outside North America.

T-Mo has no contracts any more (other than device payment plans where you can pay for equipment over 24 months without interest.)

T-Mo used to offer a "Get Out of the Red" incentive to Verizon customers, but I don't know the details. I've been with T-Mo for 18 years, so I haven't paid much attention to switch-toT-Mo incentives!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile postpaid has add-ons that we just turn on when needed.

For a 4-day trip to Canada, I turned on the “North America feature”. It allows the user the use high speed internet from his regular data allowance (whatever that is). I turned it off immediately after coming back to the US. It’s prorated so final cost was less than $2.

There’s also an international roaming add on. Don’t remember the actual name. I think it’s $35, again prorated so final cost will depend on number of days you’re subscribed to the add on. This one doesn’t dip into your monthly data allowance.

Feedback Score
    called tmobile and was told international roaming is $50 and for the full month (not pro-rated anymore)

Feedback Score

Tmobile magenta plus

No prorating probably because it’s a pass and not a service.

We’ve never used international passes because local SIM cards are cheaper.

...except for Canada (crazy high Canadian telecom charges). that’s why we use the North America feature. Last time used was July 2019, $1.67 for 4 (maybe 5, don’t remember exact date I turned it on) days.

Feedback Score
    Folks one more question. Magenta plus is $85 including taxes. Is there an extra BYOD fee on top of that if I'm bringing my own phone? Also reconfirming this plan is contract-free right? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Anybody care to chime? Thx!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I don't think I've ever heard of "an extra BYOD fee", so I doubt it.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard of "an extra BYOD fee", so I doubt it.
    Magenta Plus for one phone (BYOP or not) is $85, all in with auto pay.

The OP is probably worried that it might be like Verizon post paid where they advertise plan prices that that require a separate "access fee" for each phone. For example Verizon's "Unlimited" plan is $75 for the plan plus $20 per line for each line, including the first one. So a single line plan is really $95 plus taxes, not $75. T-Mobile doesn't do that.

BTW, post paid plans like Magenta Plus is off-topic here. The OP would probably get better support at https://www.howardforums.com/forumdi...hp/52-T-Mobile
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.