Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Recent port = more scam calls

I have noticed that right after I port a number it seems to suddenly be the darling of all the scammers and hucksters. I don’t port often but the last several times I have been just hammered within an hour of landing at the winning provider.

It’s really seeming as if someone has covert access to the number portability database and is selling those numbers to the spammers.

I just ported a nice quiet line from Lycamobile to Tello and almost immediately it starts ringing off the hook with scam calls. (This is never fun on a paygo line.) At least they don’t leave messages.

And this isn’t the first time, most recent seeing this jump in scammers was last year I ported a hotspot line from Verizon to Red Pocket and it started getting calls. Since it has been a hotspot line it’s hard to say if that’s a good example but for the previous several years of history of that number incoming calls would not go anywhere as it wasn’t provisioned for voice.

Anyway, I will put my foil hat back on and go sit quietly now.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Some MVNOs have used “shadow numbers” from which they forward/route calls to your real phone number, perhaps as a way to implement whatever cost savings.

If this is the case , it can increase scam calls since they will get forwarded from shadow number to your phone. And if so you can ask the MVNO to,change the shadow/double-secret phone number which they are using “behind” your real phone number.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    I have noticed that right after I port a number it seems to suddenly be the darling of all the scammers and hucksters. I don’t port often but the last several times I have been just hammered within an hour of landing at the winning provider.

It’s really seeming as if someone has covert access to the number portability database and is selling those numbers to the spammers.

I just ported a nice quiet line from Lycamobile to Tello and almost immediately it starts ringing off the hook with scam calls. (This is never fun on a paygo line.) At least they don’t leave messages.

And this isn’t the first time, most recent seeing this jump in scammers was last year I ported a hotspot line from Verizon to Red Pocket and it started getting calls. Since it has been a hotspot line it’s hard to say if that’s a good example but for the previous several years of history of that number incoming calls would not go anywhere as it wasn’t provisioned for voice.

Anyway, I will put my foil hat back on and go sit quietly now.

Another possibility, perhaps, is that your old carrier blocked some these of these calls and the new one doesn't?
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Another possibility, perhaps, is that your old carrier blocked some these of these calls and the new one doesn't?
    Yes, this is a sensible possibility and I think we will mark it solved for now!