Thread: Why Does Apple Prevents Accessing PDF Files From iPad?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Feedback Score

Why Does Apple Prevents Accessing PDF Files From iPad?

A couple of years ago I asked about this and did not get a useful answer. So I want to try again.

For various reasons my need to access pdf files on a USB memory stick from my iPad has again come up. Also, my newest iPad dates to 2016 and I am itching to replace it with the new iPad Mini. However, I am done buying any iPad unless it can eliminate my need to also carry my laptop (MS Surface Pro) when I travel. Not having full access to a USB memory stick means I have to unnecessarily (in my mind) carry the Surface Pro with me when away from home.

Why does Apple intentionally cripple what could otherwise function as a real computer by intentionally limiting access to anything on an external USB device to anything but image and video files?

When I addressed this issue two years ago the responses essentially just suggested work-arounds like using the cloud etc. My question only addresses what could be Apple's reason for intentionally limiting access on an external memory device to only image/video files. Is it so the iPad does not become too useful and eat away at their laptop sales? At least in my case, it has eaten away at all Apple sales. I resent needing to carry a redundant laptop PC when I travel because my iPad could do everything I need if not intentionally not disabled. Of the two devices the iPad is certainly the desired device because of its size and the simplicity/reliability of IOS compared to Windows.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that you asked your question in the wrong forum. This is a cellular forum.

I do want to offer a possible explanation as I understand it. Apple has always been very adversarial with any competitors for many years. For example, if Apple offers a similar product that they want their users to use exclusively, they will simply not allow the competitor access to sell their product on Apple's devices. This is not new nor will it likely change anytime in the near future.

Keep in mind that Apple devices don't have USB ports and this is Apple's choice when they designed their products. Apple decided to add a different type of cable connection, "Fire Wire" on their computers instead. This is a similar interface as USB but by no means compatible with USB devices.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
    A couple of years ago I asked about this and did not get a useful answer. So I want to try again. For various reasons my need to access pdf files on a USB memory stick from my iPad has again come up. Also, my newest iPad dates to 2016 and I am itching to replace it with the new iPad Mini. However, I am done buying any iPad unless it can eliminate my need to also carry my laptop (MS Surface Pro) when I travel. Not having full access to a USB memory stick means I have to unnecessarily (in my mind) carry the Surface Pro with me when away from home. Why does Apple intentionally cripple what could otherwise function as a real computer by intentionally limiting access to anything on an external USB device to anything but image and video files? When I addressed this issue two years ago the responses essentially just suggested work-arounds like using the cloud etc. My question only addresses what could be Apple's reason for intentionally limiting access on an external memory device to only image/video files. Is it so the iPad does not become too useful and eat away at their laptop sales? At least in my case, it has eaten away at all Apple sales. I resent needing to carry a redundant laptop PC when I travel because my iPad could do everything I need if not intentionally not disabled. Of the two devices the iPad is certainly the desired device because of its size and the simplicity/reliability of IOS compared to Windows.
    found this using google search - Can I open a PDF on my iPad? The Apple iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) support viewing PDF files through their iBooks application, and through a variety of other 3rd party apps (such as the Adobe Reader for iOS app). ... Touch the PDF file attachment to open the PDF file. It will look something like this: 3.

Feedback Score
    iOS 13 is supposed to bring USB drive support for more than just pictures/videos. An article (search for 9to5mac ios 13 kindle) shows someone using it to put files on a Kindle (acts like a USB drive), so it should support PDFs as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's easy enough to get a flash drive with a lightning and a USB connector and access files on the iPad that way. There are lots of options.

Device(s)
    IPhone X Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The problem is NOT with accessing the pdf files (as the subject states) but with accessing the USB device. Many apps to read pdf files.

As stated above, there are devices that have dual USB/lightning connectors. More expensive than standard USB devices.

But with current iPads, the native USB connector is not supported.

I finally came to terms with the Cloud and now store everything on One Drive so I can access it from any of my Windows 10 computers, my iPhone, my iPad, or any other device I decide to use in the future. (Well, I do have to have connectivity.)