Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: T-Mobile Pauses 5G Network Construction Due to Sprint Merger Delays

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Ironically this is likely to cause layoffs and I though jobs were a concern for the anti-merger crowd?
    It's not as though those are permanent jobs. Once the equipment is up and installed successfully the work is done until next time around.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I say to hell with 5G. Work on getting LTE in more places. There are some places in NJ that don’t have coverage or have LTE coverage and NJ is the most populous state in the nation. Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Pauses 5G Network Construction Due to Sprint Merger Delays

Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I would tend to agree from a business perspective. While they can do planning.. any true capex for gear that needs to be tied to new spectrum that isn't legally theirs would not be wise.
    Yes probably not wise.

Anyone know the details of how they would build 5G without Sprint and to how they would build it with Sprint? How does 5G affect equipment purchases? Couldn’t they start awhile maybe?
    Isn’t all the equipment software upgradeable?

Are they holding off on the type technology the equipment supports i.e. panels and band 41 and stuff?

Or is it more about quantity, as in if the merger proceeds we need 100,000 antennas and if it doesn’t we need 50,000 antennas?

Or is it that the 5G Vendor Contracts are a big deal and T-Mobile does not want to commit to anything before they know of the merger is through and done?

I think they probably made a wise choice, but just trying to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Pauses 5G Network Construction Due to Sprint Merger Delays

Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    I guess this means the “rural” upgrades TMO has been doing upgrading their rural sites to 600Mhz will come to an end ?
    Yep my question as well. Maybe it’s just 5G they are talking about and not necessarily any and all 600 mhz upgrades even those eventually support 5G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    It's probably a ploy to try and make people fall for the merger, "Allow the merger, or...", aka blackmail. Mister "Anti-union" John doesn't care one iota about jobs.
    Sprint had a 2018 net loss of $1.9 billion, but it's all "probably a ploy". You believe they can keep losing money like that and keep everyone employed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Ironically this is likely to cause layoffs and I though jobs were a concern for the anti-merger crowd?
    I guess it is more evidence that "Jobs!" is not actually the concern of the anti-merge crowd.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    It's probably a ploy to try and make people fall for the merger, "Allow the merger, or...", aka blackmail. Mister "Anti-union" John doesn't care one iota about jobs.
    Not really that anti-union: T-Mobile employees are free to give the CWA as much money (or as little) as they please. But unlike the other major carriers, he leaves this choice to each worker and does not have an arrangement to force workers to pay $$$ under threat of firing the workers.

It is bad logic to claim that siding with workers and their rights and supporting full freedom of decision for union membership is "anti-union".

I think people should be able to join the ACLU if they so choose, but no one should be forced to against their will and interest. Does that make me "anti-ACLU"? Of course not. Just like supporting worker choice in these matters does not make me (or John) "anti-union".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    I say to hell with 5G. Work on getting LTE in more places. There are some places in NJ that don’t have coverage or have LTE coverage and NJ is the most populous state in the nation. Ridiculous.

There's a good point to what you say. For that matter, getting 3G to the vast areas of the lower 48 that lack any T-Mobile would even be a big improvement. I'd actually rather see that, slow as it is, instead of plans to put 5G in a tiny handful of tiny points.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Sprint had a 2018 net loss of $1.9 billion, but it's all "probably a ploy". You believe they can keep losing money like that and keep everyone employed?
    Why, yes, Jet. Sprint is shedding money as part of a sinister blackmail plot, right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    A company stopping progress in hopes to push a merger through is a lot different than job loss due to the merger.

Businesses plan based on certainty. If the future is very uncertain, it is foolish to make such investments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2