Thread: Switching from Tmobile to Straight Talk questions

Device(s)
    LG V10
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Switching from Tmobile to Straight Talk questions

My wife and I have Tmobile service presently and both of our phones are unlocked. Where we are now living has horrible Tmobile service so it's time for a change.

I thought I would be able to just get the BYOD kit from Straight Talk, pop the sim card(s) into our phones and set the APN for ATT which has decent coverage in this area.

I am getting a different story every time I talk to someone about this, First the guy at Walmart says, "No way" can I put a sim card into my Tmobile phone and have it use the ATT service with Straight Talk. Even if its unlocked the Straight talk service will default to Tmobile since that is what the phone started life as.

Straight Talk also gives me a different story with every individual I talk to in customer service.

Has anybody here ever tried moving from their existing GSM carrier to a different GSM network through Straight Talk?

Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    What phones do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Riktar View Post
    I am getting a different story every time I talk to someone about this, First the guy at Walmart says, "No way" can I put a sim card into my Tmobile phone and have it use the ATT service with Straight Talk. Even if its unlocked the Straight talk service will default to Tmobile since that is what the phone started life as.
    The SIM card determines the carrier. With GSM phones, you don't even have to provide the IMEI. There is a model number for each carrier. SIMC4 for AT&T and SIMT5 for T-Mobile. There is also an ID number which starts with 890141 for AT&T and 890126 for T-Mobile. All the Tracfone companies use the same SIM cards.

Name:  ST SIM.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  46.4 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I suspect the training of the Walmart rep was too risk adverse. Safest is to assume that a t-mobile branded phone is locked, and if someone says it is unlocked they may be wrong and come back and complain.

And Straight Talk also supports Verizon, and even an unlocked T-Mobile phone is unlikely to work on the Verizon network (exceptions, such as iPhones (6s, Xr, Xs, etc).
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    LG V10
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you all for the replies.

The phone(s) we have are LG G6's and (as I mentioned earlier) they are both unlocked.

I also got another answer from a Straight Talk rep that stated that an Unlocked GSM phone can be used on either Tmobile or ATT so I am feeling better about this whole process.

And the Walmart employee training reply makes sense.

Thanks again everyone who replied!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Riktar View Post
    I also got another answer from a Straight Talk rep that stated that an Unlocked GSM phone can be used on either Tmobile or ATT so I am feeling better about this whole process.
    It's been common practice dealing with the Tracfone companies CSRs to keep trying until you get a better answer. They are low paid workers with poor training, same as at Walmart.