Thread: Tethering on the $29.99 plan?

Device(s)
    Samsung S7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tethering on the $29.99 plan?

I read that tethering is not officially allowed but can be accomplished via an app (I already have PDAnet). Can anyone confirm this? Every relevant search result is a year old or more. I don't tether often but wouldn't want to be without that capability when I need it. I'm with Boom Mobile now and only get 2GB with the $29.95 plan whereas PP offers 3GB. Thus the reason for looking into PP.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Yes, hotspot/tetheringt is not officially allowed on any Tracfone company. They can catch you, but I don't recall anybody having an issue. Does your phone not have the capability built in? Which carrier are you using on Boom?

Device(s)
    Samsung S7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, hotspot/tetheringt is not officially allowed on any Tracfone company. They can catch you, but I don't recall anybody having an issue. Does your phone not have the capability built in? Which carrier are you using on Boom?
    I'm on Verizon via Boom. I have no problem tethering but Boom allows that. I just wasn't sure if I would still be able to do it if I were on PP. My phone has a hotspot function built in but it's supplied by Verizon and didn't use to work when I was on PP. (years ago) I started using PDAnet and never tried the native function again.

So I gather from what you're saying is that many people do use the hotspot on PP without getting shut down. I wouldn't be using that many GB anyway so probably wouldn't draw attention.

Feedback Score
    I had a Verizon branded Moto G4 Play with a swapped Tracfone SIM, and it worked as a hotspot. Slow to connect, but that was just because it was a weak phone. My more powerful Moto G5 Plus connects quickly. Snappy too, as the cell network Internet is often faster than my wired Internet service.

A few GB a month is likely not going to flag you as a network abuser. Better to use it spaced out, and not in big lumps.

Device(s)
    Samsung S7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I'll figure out if it's worth making the switch.