Thread: LTEiRA areas now display Extended in their coverage areas even with VoLTE Devices

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

LTEiRA areas now display Extended in their coverage areas even with VoLTE Devices

Something new I just noticed while traveling through the Cross Telephone LTEiRA coverage area is that Im now seeing the Extended Network banner on my iPhone XS in LTEiRA areas. I made a call to check and VoLTE was still active with the label displayed. In the past this would only happen when VoLTE was disabled as the CDMA used for voice is a Roamer network. Now its showing the label with VoLTE over the LTEiRA networks.

I guess we now have an easy way to tell which network were using. It will be interesting to see which label I see in Muskogee, OK which is right on the edge of the VZW native and Cross Telephone LTEiRA networks.

For reference, Im on the postpaid FebUDP plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Dont cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Feedback Score
    What kind of speeds do you get in a extended area?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Eh, 3-6mbps down, 7mbps up.

Im not sure if theyve given us access to any other bands or if band 13 is all well get. I didnt have time to check.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X🅂, Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was coming back to OKC yesterday from Central Arkansas, and my phone displayed Extended while on Cross/Bravado as well along I-40.

The data was hit or miss for about 10 miles near Lake Eufaula, and was absolutely terrible around Okemah with latency well over 200ms. Not sure if thats normal, or if they were experiencing some kind of issue at the time.
    - Bentley

AT&T 5G+, Oklahoma City

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In southeast OK the Cross LTE network works very strangely. High ping, weird speeds, VoLTE dropping out (zero bars of LTE reported on iPhone). Its in certain areas while others work perfectly fine.

They might be using weird backhaul in some areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Verizon coverage map shows the extended areas in Northeast WI. If you type any Coleman address in it says "LTE Not Available". Really hoping Verizon will build out their own network. Cellcom is absolute junk and does nothing to keep the network up and running.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    I was coming back to OKC yesterday from Central Arkansas, and my phone displayed Extended while on Cross/Bravado as well along I-40.

The data was hit or miss for about 10 miles near Lake Eufaula, and was absolutely terrible around Okemah with latency well over 200ms. Not sure if thats normal, or if they were experiencing some kind of issue at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    In southeast OK the Cross LTE network works very strangely. High ping, weird speeds, VoLTE dropping out (zero bars of LTE reported on iPhone). Its in certain areas while others work perfectly fine.

They might be using weird backhaul in some areas.
    Note, on many devices the Alpha tag is due to whats reported to the CDMA radio. The next time I go to Texas, I may have a CDMA-less device to check what it reports primarily on LTE (I dont think many areas of Oklahoma have GSM/UMTS rural partners, Cross used to be GSM FWIW). I know my iPad previously would only show Verizon as the LTE alpha tag as it didnt have roaming CDMA access on its data plan but that was when LTE was still being built out.

I wouldnt be surprised if theres areas of Cross/Bravado using microwave backhaul. The terrain in Oklahoma (especially going closer to the Ozarks) can be iffy to bury line under or plant towers well spaced. I also do not know if Cross has anything else deployed besides band 13. I dont have a phone that could check bands (Pixels service mode is kinda locked down) to confirm the past few times I went through that coverage traveling on US-59/69/75. Band 4 wouldnt really help in those areas if tower spacing is bad even on band 13.

Im about to go through nearby Pioneer territory returning to KCMO today. Hopefully test VoLTE access on an MVNO while in strictly Extended coverage, which is an unknown experience currently as MVNOs only recently got widespread VoLTE access.

I know Pioneer operates LTEiRA networks on 13 and 4 in their larger pop areas, at least one different band for their Fixed Wireless Broadband, and possibly one for Sprint roamers (they did at one point resign with Sprint as a roaming partner, after LTEiRA became active). They tend to have better backhaul due to their landline telco operations but they do still have areas of microwave backhaul. In several areas in the past I got really good relative speeds, at least 20+ Mbps and sometimes even better than Verizons native speeds. I will be testing that again as well.

But apparently Pioneer and Cross/Bravado do better work maintaining their respective extended networks than others out east. I heard Wireless Partners and Bluegrass dont maintain their leased spectrum as well as they did in the past.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X🅂, Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Note, on many devices the Alpha tag is due to whats reported to the CDMA radio. The next time I go to Texas, I may have a CDMA-less device to check what it reports primarily on LTE (I dont think many areas of Oklahoma have GSM/UMTS rural partners, Cross used to be GSM FWIW). I know my iPad previously would only show Verizon as the LTE alpha tag as it didnt have roaming CDMA access on its data plan but that was when LTE was still being built out.

I wouldnt be surprised if theres areas of Cross/Bravado using microwave backhaul. The terrain in Oklahoma (especially going closer to the Ozarks) can be iffy to bury line under or plant towers well spaced. I also do not know if Cross has anything else deployed besides band 13. I dont have a phone that could check bands (Pixels service mode is kinda locked down) to confirm the past few times I went through that coverage traveling on US-59/69/75. Band 4 wouldnt really help in those areas if tower spacing is bad even on band 13.

Im about to go through nearby Pioneer territory returning to KCMO today. Hopefully test VoLTE access on an MVNO while in strictly Extended coverage, which is an unknown experience currently as MVNOs only recently got widespread VoLTE access.

I know Pioneer operates LTEiRA networks on 13 and 4 in their larger pop areas, at least one different band for their Fixed Wireless Broadband, and possibly one for Sprint roamers (they did at one point resign with Sprint as a roaming partner, after LTEiRA became active). They tend to have better backhaul due to their landline telco operations but they do still have areas of microwave backhaul. In several areas in the past I got really good relative speeds, at least 20+ Mbps and sometimes even better than Verizons native speeds. I will be testing that again as well.

But apparently Pioneer and Cross/Bravado do better work maintaining their respective extended networks than others out east. I heard Wireless Partners and Bluegrass dont maintain their leased spectrum as well as they did in the past.
    I was on Pioneer in Enid earlier this year and it was a disaster. The whole city was B13 only.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Thats the reason I posted this. The iPhone was reporting extended even when I made a VoLTE phone call. I also noticed that my iPad likewise reports it as extended. In the past I would likewise see a Verizon banner in LTEiRA areas on my iPad. Now its reporting Extended as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

LTEiRA areas now display Extended in their coverage areas even with VoLTE Devices

Im in the Cross Telephone area again. Im driving up 48 North due to the Semitruck accident on I40.

It looks like weve got access to more spectrum than just band 13. Ive got CA with 15MHz band 66!

Edit: At around 271st Street I saw the indicator rapidly flip between Verizon and Extended Network. The network remains integrated but the alpha tag is able to quickly react to showing precisely which network youre connected to cell-by-cell.

Last edited by Brobot; 09-02-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reports on the extended area. I am never in a extended area but wonder how it preformed.

Feedback Score
    Note, on many devices the Alpha tag is due to what’s reported to the CDMA radio. The next time I go to Texas, I may have a CDMA-less device to check what it reports primarily on LTE (I don’t think many areas of Oklahoma have GSM/UMTS rural partners, Cross used to be GSM FWIW).
    I’m about to go through nearby Pioneer territory returning to KCMO today. Hopefully test VoLTE access on an MVNO while in strictly Extended coverage, which is an unknown experience currently as MVNOs only recently got widespread VoLTE access.
    I’m just following up. Did you ever make it to Texas and with a CDMA-less device? If so what were your results? Did you do the VoLTE testing?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Im just following up. Did you ever make it to Texas and with a CDMA-less device? If so what were your results? Did you do the VoLTE testing?
    Sadly I have not yet. Combining with real life stuff over the winter and the pandemic, has made my recent travel plans go the opposite direction rather than towards Texas.

I have a OnePlus 7T, so at some point I will be able to test again those areas of Oklahoma.

Feedback Score
    Ok. Looking forward to it.