Thread: Differences - ST AT&T or AT&T Prepaid

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score

Question Differences - ST AT&T or AT&T Prepaid

Question for actual users

Needing 1 month service on unlocked iPhone Xr
    Travelling through VA & WV where there's no T-Mobile

Is there any benefits to paying for AT&T Prepaid or is service same and as fast if using ST AT&T?
    FIDO Network

Feedback Score
    the service should be about the same
    the only difference is hotspot might not work with straight talk AT&T

Feedback Score
    AT&T Prepaid may get slightly higher priority (probably not noticeable), has the ability to be used in Canada and Mexico with calling and texting in between, has international texting to over 100 countries, and has rollover data if you don't use it all. The benefits of Straight Talk AT&T BYOD would be the ability to roam in some areas that AT&T Prepaid may not have coverage (very few areas come to mind, but the desert between Las Vegas and Reno comes to mind in my own experience). Also, if you can get hotspot working on certain devices there's really no cap other than the 60GB soft cap on their unlimited plan.

Walmart has 25GB of data for their $40 (with autopay) AT&T Prepaid plan right now. Only 8GB will roll over, but it's worth checking out.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    AT&T Prepaid may get slightly higher priority (probably not noticeable), has the ability to be used in Canada and Mexico with calling and texting in between, has international texting to over 100 countries, and has rollover data if you don't use it all. The benefits of Straight Talk AT&T BYOD would be the ability to roam in some areas that AT&T Prepaid may not have coverage (very few areas come to mind, but the desert between Las Vegas and Reno comes to mind in my own experience). Also, if you can get hotspot working on certain devices there's really no cap other than the 60GB soft cap on their unlimited plan.

Walmart has 25GB of data for their $40 (with autopay) AT&T Prepaid plan right now. Only 8GB will roll over, but it's worth checking out.
    Thanks, I've used AT&T prepaid before and they take so long in store to set up. I did have auto renew with them and instantly cancelled after I left the store. Do you kn, can you cancel auto pay with ST right away too.

I've been searching on the Walmart website for stores on my travels that would carry the SIM card but all stores say 2 day delivery and not in stock. Any ideas if that's correct or if it's a stock item and the website in inaccurate?

I'm in Canada and this is for a 1 month trip

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbusguy View Post
    Thanks, I've used AT&T prepaid before and they take so long in store to set up. I did have auto renew with them and instantly cancelled after I left the store. Do you kn, can you cancel auto pay with ST right away too.

I've been searching on the Walmart website for stores on my travels that would carry the SIM card but all stores say 2 day delivery and not in stock. Any ideas if that's correct or if it's a stock item and the website in inaccurate?

I'm in Canada and this is for a 1 month trip

Thanks
    My local Walmart has them, so it's hard to say. Years ago you used to be able to use any SIM for the Walmart only plans, but that may have changed. You used to be able to get a SIM on places like Ebay and Amazon and activate it on a Walmart only plan as long as you activated it on Walmart.com. They probably track all the UICC numbers now though. If you're pretty much planning on only using data, Straight Talk is fine. Autopay is easy to cancel through the app or website.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    My local Walmart has them, so it's hard to say. Years ago you used to be able to use any SIM for the Walmart only plans, but that may have changed. You used to be able to get a SIM on places like Ebay and Amazon and activate it on a Walmart only plan as long as you activated it on Walmart.com. They probably track all the UICC numbers now though. If you're pretty much planning on only using data, Straight Talk is fine. Autopay is easy to cancel through the app or website.
    Thanks again for your replies. I'll just pop into the Walmarts I pass as I drive south hoping I find 2 SIM cards. If all that fails, I can kill an hour in an AT&T store ��