Thread: T-Mobile is blocking security updates to unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9

Feedback Score

T-Mobile is blocking security updates to unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9

I have US version of unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 (bought it directly from Samsung USA).

It is fully compatible with T-Mobile (including bands 66 and 71, VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling).

But last security update was dated by 1/1/2019 but I know that latest security update is from August 1 2019!.

I started to google it and what I found:

T-Mobile blocks security updates to unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 if T-Mobile SIM card inserted into the phone!

I removed T-Mobile SIM, inserted one of my backup SIM cards (international SIM in my case but it does not matter, it should be any active SIM except T-Mobile SIM and, possibly, T-Mobile MVNO's SIM) and in a few minutes I got three updates, last one was dated by August 1 2019. I updated the phone, inserted back T-Mobile SIM and everything is OK.

Feedback Score
    Samsung itself delays updates for Android by a year or more by its own choice, so it has to be a real mess with carrier delays added on to it as well.

It's one thing I truly hate about Samsung.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Not uncommon for most manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile is blocking security updates to unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9

One of the reasons I avoid Samsung devices.It seems like in their attempt to come up with their own branded version of Android, they just make things worse.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Guys, it is not Samsung in this case, it is T-Mobile who is blocking updates (using some functionality provided by Samsung that allows "branding" based on SIM card).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I respectfully disagree. The carrier addons/bloatware are far worse than the manufacturer non branded version.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samung S9 Plus Factory unlocked OnePlus 6T Galaxy tab A GSM
    Carrier(s)
    TMOBILE USA ,ORANGE SPAIN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    I have US version of unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 (bought it directly from Samsung USA).

It is fully compatible with T-Mobile (including bands 66 and 71, VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling).

But last security update was dated by 1/1/2019 but I know that latest security update is from August 1 2019!.

I started to google it and what I found:

T-Mobile blocks security updates to unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 if T-Mobile SIM card inserted into the phone!

I removed T-Mobile SIM, inserted one of my backup SIM cards (international SIM in my case but it does not matter, it should be any active SIM except T-Mobile SIM and, possibly, T-Mobile MVNO's SIM) and in a few minutes I got three updates, last one was dated by August 1 2019. I updated the phone, inserted back T-Mobile SIM and everything is OK.
    Same here with my s9 plus had to insert my sim card from Spain (Orange) and received all the updates. On a different note my other phone s7 edge unlocked factory no problem receiving updates with the t mobile sim card strange why t mobile is blocking . Definitely not an issue with Samsung