Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Altice Mobile $20/mo UTT, Data. Hotspot & Int TT/35 Countries BYOD

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Their website is broken for porting I put my number in and it just sits there, chatted with an agent and she put in a support request for it
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm trying to get some info here, as I'm trying this out as an employee. Popping the SIM into my XS connects me to the network, but calling doesn't work, no voicemail, data is spotty. APN is blank. Trying to get a char rep to give me APN settings so I can actually use this thing.
    Last edited by entropism; 09-09-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    so much for that, altice called me back and said my number cannot be ported, so if you have a number from out of the physical area it won't work.

Device(s)
    Samsung Behold
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What are the physical areas?

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    I'm trying to get some info here, as I'm trying this out as an employee. Popping the SIM into my XS connects me to the network, but calling doesn't work, no voicemail, data is spotty. APN is blank. Trying to get a char rep to give me APN settings so I can actually use this thing.
    Not sure if you got this sorted out but if you’re connecting to Sprint as primary, sometimes you have to dial some keypad combo to trigger an activation settings update. I forget the Sprint combo but it may be like ##update (##873283) or something like that. I have no idea how Altice’s hybrid carrier model works in that regard, but activating Sprint on several iPhones wasn’t plug and play.

Feedback Score
    Had a chat with them today about the possibility of bringing my Moto G7 Power onto the plan - not yet, but they said they actually do support the G7 Play. And they are "definitely working on trying to make sure we have more options for our customers".

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Not sure if you got this sorted out but if you’re connecting to Sprint as primary, sometimes you have to dial some keypad combo to trigger an activation settings update.
    No, their instructions were just crap. The carrier settings don't automatically update, you have to go into settings, general settings, and about, and THEN the carrier settings updates. So dumb.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Well, that's actually better that they do push from Apple's servers rather than having to do the silly Sprint codes that pull from the network.

Are you up and running now?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Interesting offering available to non Altice customers also though for them its $30/mo.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...ce-at-20-month
    You get what you pay for. They have to keep down roaming costs and will likely use wifi first hoping people will utilize that for primary usage, sprint will get even worse speeds and priority than existing Sprint customers and AT&T will be even worse which you won’t even get on inside major metro areas that have Sprint already. It makes for a horrible experience. Native Verizon or AT&T will be vastly superior as would native Sprint coverage.

MetroPCS actually owned their own network qnd had spectrum in NYC yet had the slowest speeds of natively owned carriers as well as a poor coverage area.

Feedback Score
    >They have to keep down roaming costs and will likely use wifi first hoping people will utilize that for primary usage,

It's no different than with Xfinity and Spectrum which by default auto-connect to hotspots. You can disable auto-connect (as least for XM), or you can disable wifi altogether when out and about. I haven't seen XM folks cry about it.

It can be a positive, because connecting to hotspots means not using cell data. Even for unlimited plans (for all cable MVNOs), you have a finite amount of high-speed cell data. It can be a negative if the hotspots are dodgy, which many undoubtedly are. But the key is that you control whether and when you connect to a hotspot.

Anyway, keep a proper perspective. It's a $20 plan. Don't expect the moon.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    You get what you pay for. They have to keep down roaming costs and will likely use wifi first hoping people will utilize that for primary usage, sprint will get even worse speeds and priority than existing Sprint customers and AT&T will be even worse which you won’t even get on inside major metro areas that have Sprint already. It makes for a horrible experience. Native Verizon or AT&T will be vastly superior as would native Sprint coverage.

MetroPCS actually owned their own network qnd had spectrum in NYC yet had the slowest speeds of natively owned carriers as well as a poor coverage area.
    Altice built 19,000 small cells within their service areas within a year of their agreement with Sprint so their local native coverage should be great and AT&T is for roaming outside of Altice/Sprints coverage.

My understanding from reports on the web is that Altice has signed a 7 year MVNO agreement with Tmobile, 3 more years than their agreement with Sprint. They can move customers to Tmobile with a simple software command and that may account for them only certifying certain phones - for compatibility with various networks.

I'd wait for some reviews from people who actually have tried it before I put flowers on their grave.

Feedback Score
    Altice built 19,000 small cells within their service areas within a year of their agreement with Sprint so their local native coverage should be great and AT&T is for roaming outside of Altice/Sprints coverage.

My understanding from reports on the web is that Altice has signed a 7 year MVNO agreement with Tmobile, 3 more years than their agreement with Sprint. They can move customers to Tmobile with a simple software command and that may account for them only certifying certain phones - for compatibility with various networks.

I'd wait for some reviews from people who actually have tried it before I put flowers on their grave.
    Coverage on CBRS and Wifi is not what I call great. AT&T seems to be ahead of Verizon Wireless so far with their 5G+ deployment in New York City and speeds and coverage on AT&T and Verizon Wireless will be lightyears ahead of Sprint and Tmobile. Altice has cable clusters locally and some fiber optics plant. Cable provider wireless is generally poor by nature.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Coverage on CBRS and Wifi is not what I call great. AT&T seems to be ahead of Verizon Wireless so far with their 5G+ deployment in New York City and speeds and coverage on AT&T and Verizon Wireless will be light years ahead of Sprint and Tmobile. Altice has cable clusters locally and some fiber optics plant. Cable provider wireless is generally poor by nature.
    That's great except the Altice small cells work on currently used Sprint wireless bands. They can't use CBRS except through approved FCC trials at this point though tests by Midco a WISP in the midwest shows a 4 mile range with no line of sight for CBRS spectrum.

Coverage wise Sprint, at this point in time, may be far ahead of Verizon and AT&T re 5G because band 41 has a much further range than the mmwave used by them and Sprint's vendor for 5G has already rolled out their version of DSS meaning Sprint's network can dynamically shift all their spectrum between 4G and 5G while no other vendor has enabled that 5G feature. Of course once they do and start implementing all their low band and continue building out they'll quickly pass Sprint till Tmobile gets involved - then the race will start in earnest.

Feedback Score
    That's great except the Altice small cells work on currently used Sprint wireless bands. They can't use CBRS except through approved FCC trials at this point though tests by Midco a WISP in the midwest shows a 4 mile range with no line of sight for CBRS spectrum.

Coverage wise Sprint, at this point in time, may be far ahead of Verizon and AT&T re 5G because band 41 has a much further range than the mmwave used by them and Sprint's vendor for 5G has already rolled out their version of DSS meaning Sprint's network can dynamically shift all their spectrum between 4G and 5G while no other vendor has enabled that 5G feature. Of course once they do and start implementing all their low band and continue building out they'll quickly pass Sprint till Tmobile gets involved - then the race will start in earnest.
    If the small cells are based on the fiber optics cables Altice owns and not older coaxial plant, then obviously the question is how the peering agreements are on the infrastructure side and the like. Altice Mobile has yet to provide a coverage map and says coming soon. Tmobile has the 600 and 700 bands while Sprint’s lowest is 850 as of now.

The additional fees that Altice Mobile charges section is very ambiguous as are their terms and conditions. Altice Mobile is more interesting than the prior Freewheel service without cellular. But seems a lot weaker than major providers who have strong established networks. AT&T prepaid with 8gb of data is 300 a year and unlimited calling and texting and seems like the better deal to me for a single line if you are price competitive. Verizon excels on coverage. On a competitive basis, if you have more limes the large carriers go down further in price with new device promotions as well. This one seems to focus on “unlimited data” instead which actually according to terms is 50GB than slowed down to 2G. To me, it doesn’t seem like anything I personally would use.

I did have cable modem at one point and had reciprocal wireless network access on wifi. The Altice wifi network seemed to work ok with mediocre speeds but on Spectrum, the wifi networks were unusable the majority of times.

I don’t forsee Altice Mobile being too successful but they will gain a few customers.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    If the small cells are based on the fiber optics cables Altice owns and not older coaxial plant, then obviously the question is how the peering agreements are on the infrastructure side and the like. Altice Mobile has yet to provide a coverage map and says coming soon. Tmobile has the 600 and 700 bands while Sprint’s lowest is 850 as of now.

The additional fees that Altice Mobile charges section is very ambiguous as are their terms and conditions. Altice Mobile is more interesting than the prior Freewheel service without cellular. But seems a lot weaker than major providers who have strong established networks. AT&T prepaid with 8gb of data is 300 a year and unlimited calling and texting and seems like the better deal to me for a single line if you are price competitive. Verizon excels on coverage. On a competitive basis, if you have more limes the large carriers go down further in price with new device promotions as well. This one seems to focus on “unlimited data” instead which actually according to terms is 50GB than slowed down to 2G. To me, it doesn’t seem like anything I personally would use.

I did have cable modem at one point and had reciprocal wireless network access on wifi. The Altice wifi network seemed to work ok with mediocre speeds but on Spectrum, the wifi networks were unusable the majority of times.

I don’t forsee Altice Mobile being too successful but they will gain a few customers.
    Imo these are sticky products for cable - trying to provide value to keep customers - bundling etc. They don't really want to invest big in wireless infrastructure outside their own footprint.

Cox actually started putting up towers near my house maybe 10 years ago and then they stopped selling wireless after only a few months. There was no difference in their pricing vs Sprint so I couldn't figure out the angle and apparently no one else could either.

Altice has said their break even number is 1 million customers at these prices and they expect this to be in the black with about 1 in 5 customers that already pay for Altice well and any customers who want to pay $30/mo but aren't w/Altice (I don't see that as compelling at all)

Yep, like to see a coverage map also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast