Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Altice Mobile $20/mo UTT, Data. Hotspot & Int TT/35 Countries BYOD

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score

Altice Mobile $20/mo UTT, Data. Hotspot & Int TT/35 Countries BYOD

Interesting offering available to non Altice customers also though for them its $30/mo.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...ce-at-20-month

Altice USA today officially launched its infrastructure-based MVNO mobile service in the U.S., as the latest cable operator to join the wireless fray.

The operator is offering unlimited plans at a locked-in price of $20 per month to current Optimum and Suddenlink customers; those plans will stay at that price as long as users keep their Altice Mobile service.

Non-customers that live within or near Altice’s 21-state Optimum or SuddenLink footprints can get the wireless service for $30 per month, which features unlimited data, text, talk, mobile hotspot, and video streaming. It also includes unlimited international text and talk from the U.S. to more than 35 countries, as well as unlimited data while traveling abroad in those same areas.

The cost of Altice Mobile’s wireless service undercuts other cable operators Charter Communications' and Comcast’s unlimited mobile plans, which are offered to the companies’ existing broadband customers for $45 per month.

Jeffrey Moore, principal at Wave7 Research, indicated both of Altice’s pricing options should draw in customers.

“Whether the pricing is $20/month for Optimum and SuddenLink customers or $30/month for other customers, these are very attractive price points that likely will win Altice Mobile a good flow of customers, as we have seen with Xfinity Mobile and Spectrum Mobile,” Moore told FierceWireless, noting it’s a different pricing model than Comcast's and Charter’s split of by-the-gig versus unlimited plans.

Moore also called the pricing for life “a good move, as it removes the objection that this could be an ‘exploding offer.’”

In a Thursday note to investors Wells Fargo analysts pointed out that Altice’s $20 per month price point is “the most aggressive in the wireless industry” when it comes to single-line plans.

“ATUS should be able to gain market share at these price points, particularly right before a seasonally high-volume Q4 for wireless phone activations,” wrote Wells Fargo Senior Analyst Jennifer Fritzsche.

Altice is offering a BYOD option, that Moore expects the company will “likely focus significant effort” on, noting it’s worked well for Xfinity Mobile and Spectrum Mobile. Eligible Optimum and Suddenlink customers can also opt to purchase new smartphones from Altice at retail stores, including handsets from Apple, Samsung and Motorola on 36-month equipment installment plans.

A different flavor of MVNO

Both Charter and Comcast operate as MVNOs running on Verizon’s network, but Altice’s infrastructure-based MVNO with Sprint is different in that Altice owns and operates its own mobile core.

Moore pointed to the construction of about 20,000 Sprint small cells in Altice areas as a positive differentiator for Altice Mobile over its cable MVNO counterparts. These “will likely lead to blazing speeds in some areas,” Moore said in emailed comments.

Altice also inked a roaming deal with AT&T, which Altice said combined with its two million Wi-Fi hotspots and Sprint’s 4G LTE network provides reliable 99% nationwide coverage.

Altice owns and provides the phone SIM, so Altice Mobile customers can use their same phone and SIM to switch between AT&T's and Sprint’s radio access network (RAN) depending on location, Altice USA Chief Operating Officer Hakim Boubazine said Thursday on a call with journalists.

Boubazine reiterated that Altice owns the core infrastructure and the SIM, saying Sprint and AT&T are really partners in that sense.

“What’s going to happen is we’ll provide at any time the best radio access network available at the given location,” he said. “There’s a logic we built into the core network, and it’s determined by really providing the best coverage and best capacity at any time.”

AT&T and Sprint customers also won’t be prioritized ahead of Altice Mobile users, according to Boubazine.

“Our customers will be treated exactly the same way as Sprint or AT&T customers,” he said, emphasizing that while it will use the carriers’ RANs, Altice controls all of the packet gateways and determines service and experience.

“There is no prioritization whatsoever, and in our agreements it stipulates that [Altice Mobile] customers get the same experience as the MNOs’ own customers,” he added.

While Comcast and Charter have struggled to yet turn a profit on their mobile efforts, CEO Dexter Goei said the company thinks Altice Mobile will be a profitable standalone business within 12 months following some launch-related light losses in the first year.

When it comes to Altice Mobile’s low price point, Goei said pricing in the wireless market today is not as attractive as it could be.

“We think we can offer our clients a differentiated experience and a differentiated price point,” Goei said. “We’re not pricing this to lose money or to gain market share, we’re pricing this as a standalone product we think we can make very attractive economics on.”

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Too bad not in my area.

Feedback Score
    I live in the area and just looked into it.

IPhones only,
    Hotspot at 600kbps
    Roaming data at 2g

I'm sure there are some other "gotcha's"

Device(s)
    Z10, Bold, Galaxy S8
    Feedback Score
    Reading their plan details on their website, "credit approval may be required". That may be one.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    No 2G or 3G, everything is LTE.

Not sure but f they just meant data or voice too.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    I live in the area and just looked into it.

IPhones only,
    Hotspot at 600kbps
    Roaming data at 2g

I'm sure there are some other "gotcha's"
    That's odd given the story states that customers can buy phones from Apple, Samsung or Motorola.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    That's odd given the story states that customers can buy phones from Apple, Samsung or Motorola.
    From their getting started FAQ:
    Altice Mobile is currently only able to support iPhone for Bring Your Own Phone service. It must be iPhone SE, 6 or newer, and operate iOS 12.2 or above.

And they currently have no phones on their site for sale. Only talk about SIM cards.

Feedback Score
    Ok,

You can supposedly buy phone at "Retail" stores.

I'm sure my SuddenLink store is just full of nice options at a reasonable price.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Got the email this morning because I'm a suddenlink customer, since I pay redpocket $15 a month for 1 GB over verizon this is a no brainer to switch. I can't figure out if they're going to put people on Sprint or AT&T, since AT&T would be way better on an iPhone 6 than Sprint.
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    LTE only seems like something they’re testing just like Verizon is with Visible. Visible isn’t stable for everyone so this plan doesn’t seem all that tempting for most, especially with it being Sprint, only on LTE. They JUST started supporting VoLTE... gotta keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    >can't figure out if they're going to put people on Sprint or AT&T

Announcement says Sprint is prioritized, and switches to AT&T when no Sprint signal. This could be a problem if you're in an area with marginal Sprint coverage. Your phone may stick with the weak Sprint signal and not switch over. Google Fi folks have this problem. Not sure if they have resolved this.

Speaking of Fi, presumably this uses similar tech for dynamic switching, ie the switching mechanism lies in the SIM and not the phone (because the phone would need special ROM to do this). This also explains why Altice has its own SIM.

BYOD would be very restrictive because of the above. Not just any "universal" phone will work. Each model would need to be certified. Fi only supported Nexus (and now Pixel) phones for a few years.

It has a really nice perk, unlimited (data/voice/text) international ROAMING (and calling) in 35 countries incl Can/Mex. You won't see that from any MVNO, certainly not at $20, or $30 for non-subbies. Very good for frequent travelers.

More info here: https://stopthecap.com/category/providers/altice-sa

After 50GB high speed, it's throttled to 128Kb/s. Unlim hotspot 600Kb/s. This isn't as good as unlims on the main carriers, where you only get DP'ed if there's congestion.

The Price for Life shtick is IMO bogus. Altice can always raise the price on your cable subs to compensate for the phone side.

Feedback Score
    I did not see any customer service phone number. They only have chatting option. Tried to chat three times and they had no agents available during business hours. Don’t know if is teething problems.

Feedback Score
    They charge $10 for SIM card and $10 for activation.

Feedback Score
    iPhone 6 and up (must be on iOS 12.2 and up)
    No CDMA... all LTE
    All Domestic Roaming is UP TO 2G speeds (AT&T)
    after 50 GB used 128 Kbps (video/hotspot data)
    Sprint is their primary network
    Unlimited hotspot, speed cap of 600 Kbps
    Taxes and fees not included
    International is capped at 1GB at 4G LTE speeds and if you go over that you are limited to 128kbps unless you purchase more data.
    15 day 1GB plan for $15 or 30 day 3GB plan at $30 if you want to have more 4G data.

Feedback Score
    I was going to activate my unlocked Verizon spare Iphone 6 to test service prior to moving my primary line over but IMIE checker on Altice's site says.

" Sorry
    Your phone is not compatible
    Unfortunately, your phone is not compatible. Interested in a new one? Find a store

Ive had it on ATT and Sprint in the past so I dont get it...

My Iphone XS Max is compatible but dont want move that one over yet till I see how the service works (its my work phone)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast