Thread: Are All New Verizon Smartphones Unlocked For GSM Carriers Now?

Feedback Score

Are All New Verizon Smartphones Unlocked For GSM Carriers Now?

As posted above, are all new Verizon smartphones really locked for GSM carriers now?

This is what I found on the Verizon website. Do they really automatically unlock after 60 days like they say they will.
    (I am sorry for sounding so skeptical.)

https://www.verizon.com/about/consum...locking-policy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    As posted above, are all new Verizon smartphones really locked for GSM carriers now?

This is what I found on the Verizon website. Do they really automatically unlock after 60 days like they say they will.
    (I am sorry for sounding so skeptical.)

https://www.verizon.com/about/consum...locking-policy
    No they are lying and you have to pay $1000 to get them unlocked because they want to be sued by everyone. But seriously yes the phones unlock after 60 days automatically and if for some bizarre reason it's not just call them up. No grand conspiracy theories.

Also they are not locked because of "GSM carriers" whatever you mean by that. They are locking them because there are jerks in this world that will steal phones and then sell them for quick cash.

Feedback Score

Thank you very much for the reply. The reason I am a bit "gun shy" is because I bought a Kyocera Brigadier a while back. I had read that it had GSM bands and would work also with AT&T or T-Mobile. Unfortunately, it was locked and did NOT work with AT&T or T-Mobile. When I called and emailed Verizon I got no where. The manufacturer, Kyocera, was also no help. It was just a run around with each saying the other was responsible and could unlock, but didn't/couldn't/wouldn't unlock it for me. If they have it straightened out now, and it is automated and works, that is great to know.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for the reply. The reason I am a bit "gun shy" is because I bought a Kyocera Brigadier a while back. I had read that it had GSM bands and would work also with AT&T or T-Mobile. Unfortunately, it was locked and did NOT work with AT&T or T-Mobile. When I called and emailed Verizon I got no where. The manufacturer, Kyocera, was also no help. It was just a run around with each saying the other was responsible and could unlock, but didn't/couldn't/wouldn't unlock it for me. If they have it straightened out now, and it is automated and works, that is great to know.
    Was it prepaid? Because Verizon's unlocking policy just literally started. Prepaid phones that come in a box at places like Wal-Mart have a set amount of time you have to have service before it can be unlocked. The reason being you're getting those phones at a discount

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Was it prepaid? Because Verizon's unlocking policy just literally started. Prepaid phones that come in a box at places like Wal-Mart have a set amount of time you have to have service before it can be unlocked. The reason being you're getting those phones at a discount
    No, that one was not a prepaid smartphone.

Feedback Score
    No, that one was not a prepaid smartphone.
    Then it shouldn't be locked. Are you sure it was a Verizon phone. Also that phone is older than dirt and would not be good on ANY carrier.

Feedback Score
    Only Verizon LTE phones come unlocked. If the phone didn't support LTE it wouldn't be subject to the "all phones unlocked" policy. This is due to an agreement between Verizon and the FCC - in exchange for getting some of its spectrum that it uses for LTE Verizon agreed that it would unlock all phones that could use that spectrum.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    VZW had a few locked phones (Motorola Droid 2 Global had some bit of code to block use of "310" or "311" (i.e. US) SIMs (the international roaming was provided with a Vodafone Netherlands SIM with a Verizon logo slapped on the corner of it)). But that was fairly unusual.

CDMA was always unlocked (on postpaid at least), unlock code "000000". It just made no difference because VZW, Sprint, US Cellular, and (pre-merger) Alltel, all disallowed use of other company-branded devices on their networks anyway.

GSM-side usually was unlocked, but older CDMA+GSM phones were lacking in 3G (UMTS/HSPA) bands, and more recently some phones have many more LTE bands than others. Almost every carrier uses band 4, but it's rangee is rather limited compared to supporting each carrier's preferred coverage band (band 13 for VZW, band 12 for USCC and AT&T, T-Mo and Sprint have some preferred band.) Brigadere in particular supports LTE band 13 and 4, so coverage would be pretty limited for LTE on anything but VZW.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The new Verizon unlock policy was updated in April 2019. The rule is the phone must remain active for at least 60 days and the device cannot have any device payments remaining to be eligible for unlocking by Verizon.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    The new Verizon unlock policy was updated in April 2019. The rule is the phone must remain active for at least 60 days and the device cannot have any device payments remaining to be eligible for unlocking by Verizon.
    Nowhere are payments mentioned. Phones are unlocked after 60 days PERIOD.

Postpay Device Unlocking Policy
    Devices that you purchase from Verizon are locked for 60 days after purchase. Devices that you purchase from our retail partners are locked for 60 days after activation. After 60 days, we will automatically remove the lock. Following the 60 day lock period, we do not lock our phones at any time.

Updated on: July 19, 2019