Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile 5G Pricing Ambiguity

Feedback Score

T-Mobile 5G Pricing Ambiguity

Name:  Screenshot_2019-09-06-11-19-17.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  59.8 KB

I was rummaging through the T-Mobile website and under "Mobile Internet" I came across some interesting information. I attached a screenshot from this page of the important information.

According to T-Mobile, a rate plan only has access to the technology available while it is available. Temporary access may be granted to new technologies, for example, 5G, and T-Mobile may charge customers for access to new technologies as they become available.

Historically, T-Mobile has allowed access to upgraded technologies from older rate plans (T-Zones and other grandfathered data plans for example) for no extra charge. However, it would seem this document is giving T-Mobile leeway to start charging more money for access to newer technologies for older rate plans. It is possible T-Mobile will charge customers an extra fee to access 5G when it becomes widely available or have access included with whatever currently offered plan is available at that time.

Any thoughts on this from the community? Do you believe T-Mobile would charge extra for 5G access on older rate plans? Or is this wording included to make shareholders and the lawyers happy?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schippma View Post
    Do you believe T-Mobile would charge extra for 5G access on older rate plans? Or is this wording included to make shareholders and the lawyers happy?
    I believe they would if they wanted to. This sounds like they haven't made a decision regarding 5G pricing, but they want to keep their options open. So if they want to test the technology and then later start charging more for it, they'll have these terms to back them up in case somebody wants to sue them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I believe they would if they wanted to. This sounds like they haven't made a decision regarding 5G pricing, but they want to keep their options open. So if they want to test the technology and then later start charging more for it, they'll have these terms to back them up in case somebody wants to sue them.
    My thoughts exactly. I tend to lean more towards T-Mobile offering 5G access to all grandfathered data plans with the terms of their data plan, such as 480p or 1080p maximum video resolution, Binge On, Music Freedom, Simple Global, and tethering restrictions. Perhaps T-Mobile will limit maximum download and upload speeds on older rate plans to entice customers to upgrade to a newer offering.

I know it is all speculation at this point but I found this document interesting, nonetheless.

Feedback Score
    I suspect they will follow what Verizon & AT&T do with 5G pricing regarding an up charge. Besides ,if enough people migrate to 5G, it may free up some LTE bandwidth, and increase my speeds anyway. I have Promo Plus now which should not change and I really don’t need any faster speeds anyway since I practically never stream or get low speeds due to congestion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I suspect they will follow what Verizon & AT&T do with 5G pricing regarding an up charge. Besides ,if enough people migrate to 5G, it may free up some LTE bandwidth, and increase my speeds anyway. I have Promo Plus now which should not change and I really don’t need any faster speeds anyway since I practically never stream or get low speeds due to congestion.
    I know 4G LTE will be around for many, many years to come but eventually, 4G LTE will be shut down as technology evolves. It will get interesting if T-Mobile does upcharge for 5G and if so, what happens to customers in the distant future who do not take the upcharge to 5G.

I am a unique customer from T-Mobile's perspective as I have 2 accounts. Each account has 5 Mobile Internet lines, the maximum allowed by T-Mobile per account. I have eight lines with 2GB of high-speed data and two lines with 6GB of high-speed data. With various promotions throughout the years, I pay just a little over $78 for 10 lines of service. Each line uses Google Voice for unlimited talk and text.

In my situation, unlimited high-speed data is not a concern as I primarily use WiFi for large files or watching video. It will be interesting to see what T-Mobile will do with their various data offerings as 5G evolves, both for customers on typical phone plans and their Mobile Internet plans.
    Last edited by schippma; 09-06-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    $10/mo x their 83.1M subscribers x 12 months would be a lot of money for 5G buildout... even if only half of them (we’ll say 41M) had this add on, that’s nearly a billion a year they can throw into 5G deployment.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-09-06-11-19-17.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  59.8 KB

I was rummaging through the T-Mobile website and under "Mobile Internet" I came across some interesting information. I attached a screenshot from this page of the important information.

According to T-Mobile, a rate plan only has access to the technology available while it is available. Temporary access may be granted to new technologies, for example, 5G, and T-Mobile may charge customers for access to new technologies as they become available.

Historically, T-Mobile has allowed access to upgraded technologies from older rate plans (T-Zones and other grandfathered data plans for example) for no extra charge. However, it would seem this document is giving T-Mobile leeway to start charging more money for access to newer technologies for older rate plans. It is possible T-Mobile will charge customers an extra fee to access 5G when it becomes widely available or have access included with whatever currently offered plan is available at that time.

Any thoughts on this from the community? Do you believe T-Mobile would charge extra for 5G access on older rate plans? Or is this wording included to make shareholders and the lawyers happy?
    To me this sounds like the "HD fees" cable companies used to charge. If they choose, they can whack us an extra few bucks a month for awhile while the tech is shiny and new, or use the fee as an incentive to get us to willingly move off grandfathered plans to new 5G plans. Then a few years down the road when 5G is commonplace, it just gets included with all plans, like HD is usually included on modern cable plans today.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    They clearly stated to the FCC and DOJ that they wouldn’t charge extra for 5G, and they wouldn’t raise plan prices for a period of time (3 years).

The “fine print” always gives companies the rights to do many things, such that if they did decide to do some or all of them, they could fairly said they disclosed it. If you read any fine print from virtually any company, it is completely one-sided in favor of the company. That is because it it written by their lawyers to protect the company, and unlike most larger transactions (like buying a house), the consumer doesn’t even read it, much less have their attorney read it.

Basically. the consumer effectively waives 99% of their rights simply by entering into the transaction. If you ever rent a car, there’s a 5-10 pages of micro print, and that in more regulated from a consumer fairness perspective than wireless service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    They clearly stated to the FCC and DOJ that they wouldn’t charge extra for 5G, and they wouldn’t raise plan prices for a period of time (3 years).
    Not to play devil's advocate, but T-Mobile could raise rates after 3 years, when 5G is more mainstream. That would align with the wording in the document concerning giving current customers and plans access to newer technologies for a period of time before charging customers for access.

Also, T-Mobile is not raising rates by requiring a separate fee to access 5G. 5G is not required, at least currently, to receive service as LTE will be around for at least 3 years. The base rate remains the same. The fee only covers access to a newer technology with added speeds and benefits.

Not to say this would happen, but this document gives them an option.

AT&T, when it purchased Time Warner Media and DirecTV, stated rates would decrease for various services due to consolidation. However, AT&T has raised rates on their media offerings and has bullied other media outlets concerning carriage rates, often dropping carriage for extended periods of time, or worse, not coming to an agreement whatsoever.

If nothing else, I find this document and its wording intriguing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    $10/mo x their 83.1M subscribers x 12 months would be a lot of money for 5G buildout... even if only half of them (we’ll say 41M) had this add on, that’s nearly a billion a year they can throw into 5G deployment.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I doubt t-mobile has 83 million phone subs as Verizon only has 90 million

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    No they will not charge extra... and yes they have been charging extra for 10 years now... is just the data plans... just like now. You have access to LTE but if you want more than 50gb fast, it will cost you... 3g access was the same.. 4g.. same thing.. and 5g will be no different.. maybe they will include 5g 3gig hotspot or 5g 10gig free then unlimited lte. No big deal... you want 5g all the time... get the magenta plus ultra gold... lmao.. however they will call it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Of course if the deal is killed off T-Mobile is not obligated to follow any promises made. Something merger haters clearly haven't thought of.

Feedback Score
    I know 4G LTE will be around for many, many years to come but eventually, 4G LTE will be shut down as technology evolves. It will get interesting if T-Mobile does upcharge for 5G and if so, what happens to customers in the distant future who do not take the upcharge to 5G.

I am a unique customer from T-Mobile's perspective as I have 2 accounts. Each account has 5 Mobile Internet lines, the maximum allowed by T-Mobile per account. I have eight lines with 2GB of high-speed data and two lines with 6GB of high-speed data. With various promotions throughout the years, I pay just a little over $78 for 10 lines of service. Each line uses Google Voice for unlimited talk and text.

In my situation, unlimited high-speed data is not a concern as I primarily use WiFi for large files or watching video. It will be interesting to see what T-Mobile will do with their various data offerings as 5G evolves, both for customers on typical phone plans and their Mobile Internet plans.
    That’s an amazing price. I have 11 voice & an Apple Watch on ONE and thought I was doing good at $187 a month!

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That statement could be aimed at fixed wireless broadband. People don’t need 5G for voice calls, emails, most Apps or texting words or even pictures. Streaming Video to large screen HDTV is where 5G will make a difference in speed. If this Sprint deal goes through The new T-Mobile will become a Wireless ISP and I can see T- Mobile charging more for 5G speeds. It will be temporary since 5G is more efficient at moving data than current 4GLTE that can get data requests on and off the towers faster that reduces the bandwidth. After paying for the 5G equipment 5G will be more cost effective for the networks to operate than the higher cost of using 4GLTE with it’s lower bandwidth.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast