Thread: Connection question

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 plus 256, Galaxy S9 w 250gb micro sd.
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T for connected car, AT&T prepaid and T-mobile.
    Feedback Score

Connection question

I've used MetroPCS in the past and was always impressed w their high up and down speed. It's the only prepaid carrier where I have hit 100 Mbps off cellular alone. I have stayed away for many years but recently gave it a try bc of the current offers. I made a eBay port and went with the two for $80 and picked up 2 A20s bc they were free.

When I came home (live in a rural area where Verizon doesn't even perform well - AT&T is the only servicable provider here) and was a bit disappointed bc I found that there was no cellular to spotty cellular service and I couldn't run speed test bc latency failures. AT&T prepaid SIM IS in my primarily daily phone FYI. Well tonight I decided to take my new A20s out for signal to create new social media accounts that require numbers and a new tinder account.

So I drove to my my parents who are even further out to drop something off. Me and my mom are on the 8+8 AT&T which boils down to somewhat usable surfing for her on the farm. About 3 up and 1 down. Metro/T mobile is and always has been useless at the farm but tonight something odd happened. I ran a speed test on each of my devices at her farm and the speed test showed a AT&T server and pulled in a high of 17.6 down and 6.39 up. Similar results on both A20s. Keep in mind there is zero T-mobile service there so I was obviously roaming. I didn't even know MetroPCS offered roaming. So I ran a speed test on my AT&T device and it pulled in the gold standard, 3 down and 1 up. The MetroPCS pulls were blazing per say where the AT&T was as it should be. I've had AT&T and Cricket for several years now at the same locations so I'm very familiar.

So as I drove home I kept running speed test. I know I was roaming and I was curious where it would switch towers on my drive home. My. MetroPCS devices to this moment and throughout the entire drive home were fast in my books. Speed test still show AT&T servers so I'm apparently still roaming and I'm currently in my parking lot where Metro just doesn't work AT ALL and did not work until I somehow got on this magical AT&T roaming band that is way way better and faster than even the real AT&T by a large margin. It's like super AT&T as I said in in a very rural area.

So now I'm scratching my head. What's going on here? Doesn't make any sense to me. For someone who says "this is what happened xxxxxx" is there anyway for me to make this happen all the time at my ace without driving the route down the highway which led me to this very pleasing and desirable roam? If so then I would ditch AT&T. I'll continue to monitor but it's just a matter of time before there A20s go back to a latency fail T Mobile tower. Also why is my MetroPCS roaming night and day better and faster than actual AT&T? I've lived here my entire life for the most part and have also been on all carrier post paid accounts. Wanted to throw that out there if someone mentions that my AT&T is being depriorized. This isn't the case. My A20s are on some roaming AT&T band that I have never seen before and I like it.

I assume I drove by a tower that they roam w and they latched on bc the MetroPCS signal is so week. I wish I could force this roaming. That would be a game changer for me.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well that was short lived. In just the time it took me to write this post things are back to normal. Test failed to complete. My Metro devices are unusable again. Well on just now pinged at 39 and pulled a 4.09 up and 0.3 down. Showing T-Mobike server. Sucks. Well I know there's hope. Just need to figure out how. This is probably where rooted devices and knowledge come in handy. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G960U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T-Mobile, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    If you're curious, you could get Signal Check Pro or a similar app. It will tell you how strong your signal is, what band you're connected to, and who you're roaming with if applicable.

It's possible the A20 can connect to bands that T-Mobile has recently activated, that older devices can't access. Signal Check will help you figure it out.

Feedback Score
    I don't want to give any one sour grapes and take away from the OP's question. This happens almost as soon as T-Mobile gains a new customer. It happens more often then you think. I sometimes wonder how T-Mobile is gaining a million or more customers a quarter knowing their coverage can be spotty, drops the signal and a customer has no service at all. I have been saying this for years about T-Mo's shady business practices. What surprises me is how people keep flocking to them. Those Uncarrier freebies got you guys hooked or shooked. Which is it? I don't want to invest in a high end phone and service to have it taken from me for no good reason other then for T-Mobile to balance their spread sheets and maximize their profits. No way Jose!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    I don't want to give any one sour grapes and take away from the OP's question. This happens almost as soon as T-Mobile gains a new customer. It happens more often then you think. I sometimes wonder how T-Mobile is gaining a million or more customers a quarter knowing their coverage can be spotty, drops the signal and a customer has no service at all. I have been saying this for years about T-Mo's shady business practices. What surprises me is how people keep flocking to them. Those Uncarrier freebies got you guys hooked or shooked. Which is it? I don't want to invest in a high end phone and service to have it taken from me for no good reason other then for T-Mobile to balance their spread sheets and maximize their profits. No way Jose!
    Interesting though. Sounds pretty illegal though so can’t imagine it but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aml1025 View Post
    If you're curious, you could get Signal Check Pro or a similar app. It will tell you how strong your signal is, what band you're connected to, and who you're roaming with if applicable.

It's possible the A20 can connect to bands that T-Mobile has recently activated, that older devices can't access. Signal Check will help you figure it out.
    Great advice but I moved on. I called and asked and metro was helpful. They gave me a lot of time but couldn’t explain it. Likely was a band hitting a tower in a particular location. I wish we could force roam but this wouldn’t be sensible for the carrier. Can’t remember the device but it was sprint or t mobile back in the thc hero days, I believe. The carrier didn’t work anywhere near me but I could force roam through settings and my signal was great bc I used a tower outside of the one I was paying for. If it wasn’t the here it was the old 2007 or so sprint 3D phone. One of my old phones allowed for “full time for roaming”. Those were the days. I never used my carrier but they sold me the service under a post paid contract. I moved to Verizon prepaid and although not perfect, it’s the overall best service I’ve seen and considerably better than at&t north of stl. Metro in west county stl is over 100 dl but once you leave the metro area it’s useless in all rural suburbs. I’ll continue to jump around and experiment as new promotions come around. I’m overloaded in phones now though. Need to CL a A20 and Supra before I toy around anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo