Thread: Xfinity Mobile seems to be inflating data usage to charge me more!

Feedback Score

Xfinity Mobile seems to be inflating data usage to charge me more!

My wife's iPhone XS is on Xfinity Mobile on By the Gig plan. My wife is on wifi most of the time and it's hard to get the usage less than 2.5 GB per month. The only time she is on mobile is while driving on commute (10min) and is on wifi at home and at work.

I have seen that most of the data use is Facebook using the iOS setting to see what apps are using cellular data.

However it seems that you can't reset the data counter to follow your billing cycle. So I downloaded an app call traffic monitor. It shows me what is data is used on Wifi and what is on Cellular.

Last month Xfinity showed usage 2.5gb but when I look at the Traffic monitor app it says that only 220 MB of cellular data was used. This was similar to the previous month.

Has anyone else noticed that Xfinity seems to be inflating the data usage to charge customers more?

Feedback Score
    check your setting for the apps to update over WIFI connection instead of using cellular data and any other service that uses cellular data. or turn off cellular data altogether then monitor the cellular data usage and see if there's a data leak somewhere.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    If this the case, I wouldn’t be at all surprised. I felt like AT&T did this at one point but I think it was Wi-Fi assist. Now the iPhone will ask you if you want to use cellular data instead of Wi-Fi so carriers can’t use that as an excuse now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Make sure your WiFi assist is turned off.

Feedback Score
    Yazyahoo, i notice similar things but am always able to track the data usage to something legit. Iphone seems to require use of cellular for system stuff more than android. One reason for that is that iMessage is integrated with IOS and will not function if you disable cellular data, at least i have not found a way to do that.

Putting iphone in airplane mode with wifi on is undesirable because MMS will not get delivered, independent of imessage enabled or disabled.

On samsung S8 MMS do get delivered in airplane mode with wifi on or with cellular data entirely disabled.

Your further observations and ideas are appreciated, keep em coming.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VTtraveller View Post
    Make sure your WiFi assist is turned off.
    This!

I have an Iphone and barely use any data. Go to settings, cellular and turn off cell data for all the apps not needed on cell data, especially facebook and twitter as they are huge background data hogs. Do this for photo's settings etc. They can all wait for wifi.

I keep mail, maps, weather, chrome, wallet, phone and find phone selected. I won't even break 100mb unless I use the browser a lot.

Feedback Score
    Reset cellular statistics each month inline with the billing cycle. The third party app may not be accurate.

Settings>Cellular>reset statistics

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo